VOG Forum banner

Upgraded Speakers/Amp/Stereo Experiences and Preferences

36892 Views 114 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Ben-Rod
I have read through several threads that cover a lot on this topic, but I want to start a thread where we can share pictures of the installation process, recommendations and what worked best or didn't work. Lets us know about the overall experience and your after thoughts (ie. was it worth it?, was it what you were hoping for?, baffles (good or bad)?, speaker recommendations?) etc...

If you are not into upgrading your audio system that's great, I respect that. That being said, this thread isn't for you and your bashing :beatdeadhorse: those of us who enjoy loud rocking stereos and just want the best sounding system we can get while cruising down the road.

:attention1:post those pictures!!! We want to see your setup!

:worthless:
Reactions: mtbrgeek
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Here is a picture of mine in the middle of my upgrade. It had the 100 watt speaker upgrade kit, if that's what you want to call it. So it has the speaker baffles already in there and the 3 speakers and wiring in each side. I went with the Rockford 300x2 and the Polk 5.25s. I think now I should have went with the 6.5s and the adapter rings, but it's a nice upgrade from the "upgrade'' it had.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Watch how you route the wires leading to the battery, don't let them get too close to the head pipe or it will melt the wire loom. Yes, this happened to me, didn't smell too great.

Reactions: DeeOGee

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Personally i would like to see under peoples fairings.. specifically how and where thier amps are mounted
Here is a picture under my fairing. I am fixing to pull my fairing apart and try out a few other options. Mounting and wiring the Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 was really easy. One important lesson learned was to ensure that you buy a quality amp kit or go out to a stereo shop and buy quality components. I don't have a picture, but the cheap 10gauge power wire in this picture melted/burnt up on me twice just past the 30 amp fuse coming off the battery. After that I went out and bought 5ft of quality 8 gauge power and ground wire with a inline 40amp fuse. It has been solid every since, even in 115 degree weather in the Arizona desert.

I bought the mount plate from VTwin Audio, VTVAM, amplifier mounting bracket
I did have to drill a hole in the aluminum frame ( left side ) to secure it, but it drilled out easily. I secured the amp with double side tape, Velcro and plastic tie downs. I did paint the mount bracket as well just for my own reasons. This is an older picture of the install with different speakers and the crappy amp wire kits. I will post updates in the next few days after I receive my parts.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive design

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Watch how you route the wires leading to the battery, don't let them get too close to the head pipe or it will melt the wire loom. Yes, this happened to me, didn't smell too great.
I will post pictures in the next couple days showing how I routed the wires coming off the battery to avoid them from getting to close to the header. Also the Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 can handle 8 gauge wires ( barely) which IMO make a big difference with all that heat being generated in that area. Just go with a 40 amp inline fuse instead of a 30amp.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Camera accessory Camera Grey Carbon Sports gear
I haven't seen much on 6x9 speaker lid replacement options.
I drove down to Tucson, AZ and visited Mike at HMD520 to check out a set of his 6x9 speaker lids first hand. I liked what I saw (plus his other projects) and brought them home. They were not cheap, especially after paint, but for me they were well worth it. The 6x9's bring the entire set up alive and complement the entire bike. Plus I like the look of the HMD520 lids over most others I've seen. Even the guys at Rolling Arts in Tempe, Arizona said they were pretty good quality. They just need some more sanding and smoothing before paint.

· Registered
138 Posts
dirt rider.. id love to do 6x9 in the bag lids liek that... but since i commute on mine and i DO get wet, im concerned about those speakers being exposed and leaking into the bags ( that i do use for storage) have you had yours inthe weather yet? How did they old up?

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dirt rider.. id love to do 6x9 in the bag lids liek that... but since i commute on mine and i DO get wet, im concerned about those speakers being exposed and leaking into the bags ( that i do use for storage) have you had yours inthe weather yet? How did they old up?
Being in southrern Arizona, rain isn't that common here, besides monsoon season. But the sun sure can reak havoc on anything exposed to it. I have been caught in one brief light drizzle that did not do anything to the speakers. As far as that goes, I'd say to purchase marine grade speakers with an open/accessible speaker grill (so you dry out any pooled water)if rain is common for you. The lids come with extra rubber liners to create a tighter seal when closed. Additionally you could always experiment with a spray on sealant and dynma to creat a tighter seal around the speaker itself. I dynamited the inside of my fairing and lids and am going to coat them with boom mat spray in a few days. The only other option I have looked into is buying the lid covers from Victory that you can toss on in the event of bad weather. Cross Bike Saddle Duffel Vinyl Covers - Gray | Victory Motorcycles Store
Hope that helps, for me it's well worth it!

Reactions: mtbrgeek

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DirtRider, I must say, that whole setup is [email protected]$$!
Thanks AVGJOE4, it's still a work in progress. Sounds great while parked, but I'm looking to try metra baffles and in hopes of getting better acoustics while moving down the road. Plus I'm not blown away by my Rockford speakers. Looking at buying some Hertz... But they carry a little more $$$ per pair! I had Polk DB651s in the fairing which I think sounded better than the pricey Rockford T1650-S components I have in there now. Maybe the baffles will help. I'll know this weekend after I install them.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What 6x9 speakers are those? will just about any fit?
They are Rockford Fosgate T1692's http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...?ie=UTF8&qid=1441244326&sr=8-2&keywords=T1692 the lids can take most any 6x9 speaker, it's typically the speaker grill that comes in different shapes. The lids were designed for Rockford's and Alipne's. When you hunt for 6x9's you just have to see if they have a similar shape to the grills and make sure they have a return policy!
Worst case if you aren't that picky you could buy the grills from Rockford Fosgate and put most any 6x9 under it. My OCD would drive me nuts though. I'm looking at Hertz for later on down the road. http://www.amazon.com/Hertz-Audio-H...UTF8&qid=1441244721&sr=8-1&keywords=Hertz+6x9

· Registered
85 Posts
Ebarr
they're infinity Kappa 693.11i, the tweeters are there just to fill in the holes to keep dust,rain or whatever from getting in the bags they're not connected the kappa's already have tweeters. I got infinity Kappa 62.11i up front the system sounds amazing

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amp and speakers in the lids
Which model amp is that? Does it require a remote wire? If so which wire is used for the remote turn on/off. I've looked for it and can not figure out which wire it is.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.