Upgraded Speaker/Amp/Stereo Experiences and Preferences | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Upgraded Speaker/Amp/Stereo Experiences and Preferences

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by DirtRider, Sep 2, 2015.

1. DirtRider

DirtRider Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Victory Cross Country Custom
    I have read through several threads that cover a lot on this topic, but I want to start a thread where we can share pictures of the installation process, recommendations and what worked best or didn't work. Lets us know about the overall experience and your after thoughts (ie. was it worth it?, was it what you were hoping for?, baffles (good or bad)?, speaker recommendations?) etc...

If you are not into upgrading your audio system that's great, I respect that. That being said, this thread isn't for you and your bashing :beatdeadhorse: those of us who enjoy loud rocking stereos and just want the best sounding system we can get while cruising down the road.

:attention1:Post those pictures!!! We want to see your setup!

:worthless:

2. DirtRider

DirtRider Member

3. adamnorthup

adamnorthup New Member

00 CBR929RR ; 2011 XC
    What experience did you have installing the lids? Did you smooth out the insides to keep from chewing up the seals?
    They seat well? or seat well after some adjustment at least?
    Doesn't matter how well it sounds if my stuff gets wet :)

4. DirtRider

DirtRider Member

I live in AZ, so rain isn't an issue. I have only ridden in a light rain once and had no issues with water getting inside. I lined my lids with dynamat and spray on Boom mat which smoothed out the interior. The seal seems pretty good, especially if you use the provided rubber liners. I have had no issues With the lids chewing the thin rubber liner from the top of the bags. The Boom Mat is pretty nice for putting a rubbery coating on the interior instead of the rough fiberglass material.
    If you are considering these lids I would recommend them if you really want 6x9's. However, I rode down to Tucson yesterday (5/11/16)and checked out the new 8.8" lids HMD520 is putting out and they are incredible sounding. They have a lip on the inside the lid which when combined with the rubber bag liner creates a tight seal for both sound and weather. Plus he is making a better locking mechanism for the bags which will hold the lids down tighter. Even though I am very happy with my lids now, I'm going to drop the $ for 8.8" JL Audio speakers and lids combo he has on his website.

5. adamnorthup

adamnorthup New Member

00 CBR929RR ; 2011 XC
    I'm looking at his site now. Guess I have heartburn over the thought of $1500 into saddlebag audio :)
    The speakers themselves are crazy spendy - that's why I was thinking use his lids w/ 8" subs & amp, & leave 5.25" Alpines in trunk for audio when it's on, and know that 6.5's in front with subs at my thigh will be good when no wife (and no trunk) accompany my bliss :)

Wanna sell yours when you get the big ones?? I could give you my # if that isn't against the rules!

6. DirtRider

DirtRider Member

Yeah, it is pricy no doubt, but after going down and hearing them I was impressed. I'm not crazy about dropping the $ after already spending almost $1200 on the 6x9's with custom paint and the speakers. Also after talking with him it is closer to $2k with the JL Audio amp, paint, 8.8" lids and speakers. I would be willing to sell you mine with the 6x9's if you want them. They will obviously need to be resanded and painted. I was going to hit a couple victory co-workers, but if you want them we can try and work something out.

7. adamnorthup

adamnorthup New Member

00 CBR929RR ; 2011 XC
    If you have someone there interested, or even someone with same color, that just works out for everyone! Mine's black - I'd have to paint these or new ones.
    I'd be interested also, but check with local people too.
    Which 6x9's did you use?

8. DirtRider

DirtRider Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg My bike is a custom paint job with graphics. Either way my lids would need to be painted.I have the Rockford Fosgate T1692 2 way 6x9's. I liked those better because the tweeter is separate and mounted above the woofer.