VOG Forum banner

Update 2018 Yamaha Star Venture 11,147 Miles On Odometer

12K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  CheezyRider 
I have ridden this bike and one negative was the service interval--
Now at 11k, aren't you looking at a valve adjustment in 4000 miles?

You sound like you ride like a gentleman-- I love Bridgestones....but never have seen anywhere near the mileage you're talking about and I can't imagine it on a bike that heavy with that much torque. Heavier bike = more wear. I try to be conservative, but love hammering the throttle, haha.

The ride modes are quite pronounced. I didn't like the Sport mode much. It was too jumpy to give my passenger a smooth ride.

Glad you can post this stuff on here-- the VOG is a great forum.

I hope they continue to evolve the bike and ditch some of the bells and whistles and chrome doo dads and do an "8-ball" version.

If you don't want all the bells and whistles then look at the standard Star Venture, it does not have all the features of the Transcontinental model and is $2,000 dollars less.

Yamaha recommends checking the valves every 16,000 miles but with the hydraulic lifters I am betting that like the earlier version of this engine used in the Raider and Stratoliner it will be rare to find it needing a valve adjustment. My understanding from those who own this engine in the other models dealers tell them if you don't hear it ticking don't bother checking the valve as they don't find them out of adjustment much.

I read one guy who did not do his first check until 50,000 miles and it was not out of spec.

The only thing I recommend is using an oil with 1500 parts per million of ZDDP (Zinc, Phosphorus) due to the flat tappet style cam and each cam lobe and lifter operating two valves and two valve springs, that will ensure you have a sacrificial coating on the cam lobe and lifter to protect them.

These new oils have reduced the amount of ZDDP and the new anti wear additives do not coat the parts the same as ZDDP does so you can risk scaring the cam lobe and or bottom of the lifter where it contacts the cam lobe. This is on any flat tappet style cam system by the way, if you have low spring pressures you can likely get away with the new oils, but in this engine you have one cam lobe and one lifter operating two valves and two valve springs at once.

In my opinion why take the chance, just run an oil with 1500 PPM of ZDDP or more and you will have proven protection for a flat tappet style cam. I run Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in mine for the ZDDP content.
Hmmmm...
If they had hydraulic lifters, there could be no adjustment....that's the point of the hydraulic lifters.
There also must be a means of adjustment, which would be, I assume, a screw type or shims like in the Moto Guzzi -- which also calls for 15k adjustments.

What you say is encouraging-- I figured Yamaha had learned from HD and created a reason to bring dealers more service business. I do not want to be running to a mechanic every year for an expensive service .
Victory, HD, and Indian have hydraulic lifters --hence no adjustment procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.