VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. Obviously some have differing opinions but from what I’ve read, most say unplugging the O2 sensors is sufficient if the only modification is an exhaust.

Well I added a Bassani turnout exhaust, disconnected the O2 sensors and feel like the bike is running a touch hotter/leaner/“poppier” than it should. I expect some popping on decel and I actually don’t mind the sound of it. I also know we have notoriously noisy engines but I suppose my only question is....unplugging the O2 sensors is all I needed to do yes? Aside from adding a fuel controller, the bike is now in permanent “open loop” mode and SHOULD be just fine?

Again, I understand I’m probably running lean but at what point would I know it’s gone from lean, to dangerously lean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Again, I understand I'm probably running lean but at what point would I know it's gone from lean, to dangerously lean?

Thanks!
By that time it is too late.
It's not going to start popping louder or acting weird to let you know.
The damage will be "down the road" from the engine running too hot.
May show up sooner if you do a lot of in town, stop & go or heavy traffic with lots of idling.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
If all you added was exhaust and using a stock filter I think you will be fine. Any aftermarket exhaust will enhance the popping that is typically there even with factory exhaust but is muffled much less noticeably. Might want to calculate your mileage the next few tanks and if it creeps over 48 mpg then consider a fuel dumper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If all you added was exhaust and using a stock filter I think you will be fine. Any aftermarket exhaust will enhance the popping that is typically there even with factory exhaust but is muffled much less noticeably. Might want to calculate your mileage the next few tanks and if it creeps over 48 mpg then consider a fuel dumper.
Specific and to the point. Really appreciated

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
The bikes come very lean from the factory.
Disconnecting the O2's help a little on most bikes, but every Vic should get a fuel tuner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.