VOG Forum banner

Underdrive Pulley & Ness Bars

5K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  PreachSF 
#1 ·
I got the an underdrive pulley from Conquest a while back and some Fly bars with Kuyrakyn grips too. I didn't have time to install them and got tired of them sitting around, so I took the bike to the dealer for installation. Overall, I'm happy with the result! The new gearing is where my Pin should always have been! It takes off like a BOH, and it's not lugging or rev'ed at posted speeds.

The new bars and grips look and feel nice, but definitely change the feel of the bike. Arm position is more comfortable and the thicker grips are also more comfortable. The bike seems a little more responsive to input, but I'm not sure if it's just perception or reality.

I have the pics of the bars along with a pic of how much the belt tension adjustment changed.

#8 ·
I have the same bars and I want to swap out my grips for ones like you have.. I have the Ness grips and the throttle lock integrated and wasn't sure if just any grips would fit them or not.. which ones do you have on that? I have the same year and color pin btw. :)

#6 ·
Where did you find the bars ? I love the way they look but I'm always unsure about arm position/comfort for my height and reach.
I think that I found my bars on Ebay. So I have a mustang seat on my Pin and I'm 5' 11". My arm position is higher and my elbows are bent more, which makes slow turns easier and riding more comfortable. The feel is different that the stock bars, the width is about the same but my wrist/hand position changed slightly. Overall, I like them better.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I agree, I don't have to really think about my rev's so much and definitely am clutching less! I'll have to see what I think about long trips, but so far my drive to work (~20mi) make me think I'll change back.

#21 ·
Not with a flash tuner. You'd need something like a speedohealer

#27 ·
I'd like no on this UD pulley, what it does?
2010 KP 100 5 speed

Thx
Google Conquest Customs, they're the manufacturer. Two fewer teeth on the front pulley reduces gear ratios by about 7%. Reviews seem pretty much all positive. I don't have one, didn't think I needed it, but all the positive reviews have me seriously considering it. Shorter gearing means quicker acceleration, but lower top speeds in each gear. Your speedometer will be off by about 7%, although there are products on the market to correct that. Once installed whatever speed you used to be at while turning 3000 rpm you will now be at turning 3210 rpm.

#29 · (Edited)
So what gear and what RPM do you cruize at ?

Of all the city & mountain roads advantages, people forget that because you are bound to highway speed limits, and the UD pulley comes out as winner again coz of the RPM range you are cruising you get better MPG

apparently you guys do not use 6th gear much due to higwayspeed restrictions, most are riding in 5th gear and 2800 or 3000 RPM ?

This means if you are in 6th you would be lugging and have bad MPG

we do not have speedcameras here, so i do not have that problem, if i ride with the HD guys then most of the time i am in 5th also

Just my 2 cents

#37 ·
There are many things that will adversely affect mileage.

1 Temperature, did a 1k day started low 30s high mid 80s mileage increased as we got to 70°
2 Load
3 Wind
4 Gas , saw 10 mpg drop with junk gas
5 Speed , 70 mph we were going 175-180 miles before gas light 80mph light came on @150
6 Shifting & cruising RPMs ,
A if you shift below 2500 you'll get worse mileage than the guy that shifts at 3500-4k
B 2800 seams to be what I've found to yeild tje best mpg.

For me having 6 gears to choose from (once over 10mph) I have no issue being at the correct RPMs for riding conditions. JMHO. YMMV

#38 ·
I ride mostly back roads(fun roads), of course end up in towns, before the pulley, I'd run first gear 30mph and wish that 2nd was slightly shorter, highway barely ever got out of 5th unless over 80.. with UD pulley, I'm pretty much where I want to be, helps with cornering, and actually use 6th on the highway...

Also running low speed circles with no clutch and no "herky jerky" makes me happy as well...

#40 ·
#42 ·
@broggyr -- When you would really be able to see the difference is if you rode a bike with the UD pulley for a while... then you got on a bike without one.

I went on a long trip years ago and I knew I'd be on the highway cruising at high speed a lot, so I put the stock pulley on for that trip.
Yeah, I regretted that decision the entire trip. Couldn't wait to get home and change back. The bike felt 'wrong' without it.

#47 · (Edited)
Yep! Those are the ones ... we have been contacting ebay to try to get them removed since its a blatant copy/rip off of our product and they are selling it as they are us ... and those things are ****ing GARBAGE, ive heard nightmare stories from people who had them put on.

edit - Just got off the phone with ebay having them flag and shut down that sellers account. hopefully they will come through on their word, but thanks for the heads up that it was still active on ebay

#49 ·
I've got an 06 hammer , I'd definitely be interested in an underdrive pulley.
Ok, so I got together with Scott this morning and have created the deposit item on our website for the Underdrive Pulley for the Wide Tire bikes.

Deposit is $100, non-refundable, and once the run is done you will be responsible for the additional $299.99 plus shipping costs. The faster we get 10 deposits down, the faster we can get the run going. Just fyi, the run will probably not be done until January as we already have Overdrive Pullies being made and another run of Narrow Tire Underdrives being made.

Here is the link for those interested. Feel free to share ....

Underdrive Pully for 05 and Up Wide Tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.