VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to switch to Amsoil next round and see if it quietens down the shifting some. So the question is, What oil filter are those of you using that are running Amsoil?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any filter will do, but if you want to take advantage of the longer lasting Amsoil and fewer oil changes, you need to get a filter that does a much better job than the stock filters in terms of the micron ratings of the filters.

There are several filters that provide filtering of very small particals, but I personally like the Amsoil filters. Not only do they have excellent filtering capabilities, but I like the fact you can use a standard wrench to remove and install.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I just run the Vic filter with Amsoil

·
Registered
68 Posts

I've used both Vic and AMSOIL filters. Have AMSOIL filters on now. Mor or less a convience factor when ordering the oil, order the filters too.
Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
An AMSOIL rep told me a while back that if you can't get your hands on an AMSOIL filter, use Wix (#51356) or NAPA Gold (#1356). If you're changing the filter at normal recommended service intervals it's not that big of a deal, but if you want to take advantage of AMSOIL's "extended drain intervals" and not change the oil filter every 2500-3000 miles, use AMSOIL or Wix filters. I've never opened up a Polaris filter but I have seen the inside of a Wix filter and it has a ton of actual filter element inside.

·
Registered
917 Posts
VforVictory said:
An AMSOIL rep told me a while back that if you can't get your hands on an AMSOIL filter, use Wix (#51356) or NAPA Gold (#1356). If you're changing the filter at normal recommended service intervals it's not that big of a deal, but if you want to take advantage of AMSOIL's "extended drain intervals" and not change the oil filter every 2500-3000 miles, use AMSOIL or Wix filters. I've never opened up a Polaris filter but I have seen the inside of a Wix filter and it has a ton of actual filter element inside.
I was told the Victory/Polaris filters are made by Wix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never really looked that close, but yes, the Polaris filter matches the Wix exactly as far as I can tell. Design, materials and even the same type of date stamp. I guess this is one of those "duh!" moments. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

One thing I don't like about semi-synthetic oil is a manufacturer could put two drops of synthetic oil in a cheap base stock oil and call it semi-synthetic oil.
I used Amsoil in my Vegas so that I could extend my oil change intervals and because of some of the high temperatures (117 degrees) I had ridden in on some road trips. I never had any clutch problems.
On the 48 state ride I changed my oil before I left and then changed itagain just past the halfway point (that's another story!) and then again whenI got home. Three oil changes (18 quarts) in 11 days! I need a sponsor!!

·
Registered
3 Posts

When you change the oil you have to replace the copper washer too for the drain plug. Is this a stock only item only available from the Victory dealer or generic ab available fromanyautopart store??
Any dimensions or parts numbers would help!!
THanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
JChammer said:
When you change the oil you have to replace the copper washer too for the drain plug. Is this a stock only item only available from the Victory dealer or generic ab available fromanyautopart store??
IT is recommended to replace the copper washer, however I have a few extra laying around from previous changes and have reused the one on the bike and saved the one that came with the kit just in case. If you reused the washer just be sure the plug does not leak. if it does then change the washer.

As for OEM part or not I am not sure. I will ask some people that I know and post a new comment later.

But if it ain't broken, why fix it.

Just my two cents.

Reddog

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.