VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Saturday morning a 6am left on my first long trip to visit my folks at our cabin in saskatchewan. 10 hour ride. Started off colder, windier (up to 40 mph gusts) & wetter than I expected. I was stopping once an hour for a quick butt and or fuel break and at my second stop 2 hrs in, I pull up to the pumps and just as I go to drop my kickstand a viscious gust hit me and just for a split second I was able to hold it before I went over. First thing of course I think is..omg, my bike! As I'm stuck under it. Lol. Then okay I'm wedged against the pump curb by an 800 lb bike. This should be fun. And its nasty out so no one is just standing outside. A couple of seconds later a woman I call Angel 1 runs up and says what I do? I said get on the right said and just pull up a bit..then another woman runs up and helps too. (Angel 2.. funniest part I realized after is her husband stayed in their truck and watched her helping me! Lol).

Anyhow, get the bike up and I'm thinking 11 months old Magnum, 2500 miles and I don't even want to look. So I start looking it over. Mirror knocked out of place but no damage. Tiny mark at pointy edge of fairing but no crack, barely see. Reflector knocked off hard bag but no damage to the bag! Then I see my floorboard. The pad has come off and the rest of it its jammed up against my shifter pedal. Oh...Damn. i give it a smack with my hand and it drops into place. No worse for wear thankfully than the feeler is bent right over and twisted against the ends (tough screws!). Sitting in a puddle (cause it was all puddles there) I learn how to put a bad back on. (I have tools with me. Yay!!!)

So I gas it up, go for a pee and think I'm thankful there wasn't any major damage. On the other hand, I still have 8 hours to ride and I'm OCD so you know the reflector and feeler are going to bug me.

I get the cabin uneventfully (I tell you every stop at a gas pump for rest of trip my brain is giving me a don't fall message & it was still gusty everywhere). But my brain once I get to the cabin is working on what I'm doing about the reflector and feeler cause I know me. And I'm not waiting 6 days to deal with it when I get home.

So at 5am when the sun comes up, at the cabin, I'm raiding my dad's shed. Flat black rustoleum. Yep will need that. Hammer...yup. anvil??? Bonus! Tar and bug remover for the foam tape residue on reflector? Why not? I wait until a more civil time of 6am and take my coffee and tools and floorboard and feeler down to dock and start pounding out & twisting that feeler back into shape along with a dent in the floorboard. Clean up the reflector spot on the bag like there never was one on the bike and by the time my folks got up at 730am you never would have known anything had been wrong.

And my frown turned into a smile:)

PS- my mom wondered what I was hammering on at 6am. Whoopsie:)

·
Registered
910 Posts
So on Saturday morning a 6am left on my first long trip to visit my folks at our cabin in saskatchewan. 10 hour ride. Started off colder, windier (up to 40 mph gusts) & wetter than I expected. I was stopping once an hour for a quick butt and or fuel break and at my second stop 2 hrs in, I pull up to the pumps and just as I go to drop my kickstand a viscious gust hit me and just for a split second I was able to hold it before I went over. First thing of course I think is..omg, my bike! As I'm stuck under it. Lol. Then okay I'm wedged against the pump curb by an 800 lb bike. This should be fun. And its nasty out so no one is just standing outside. A couple of seconds later a woman I call Angel 1 runs up and says what I do? I said get on the right said and just pull up a bit..then another woman runs up and helps too. (Angel 2.. funniest part I realized after is her husband stayed in their truck and watched her helping me! Lol).

Anyhow, get the bike up and I'm thinking 11 months old Magnum, 2500 miles and I don't even want to look. So I start looking it over. Mirror knocked out of place but no damage. Tiny mark at pointy edge of fairing but no crack, barely see. Reflector knocked off hard bag but no damage to the bag! Then I see my floorboard. The pad has come off and the rest of it its jammed up against my shifter pedal. Oh...Damn. i give it a smack with my hand and it drops into place. No worse for wear thankfully than the feeler is bent right over and twisted against the ends (tough screws!). Sitting in a puddle (cause it was all puddles there) I learn how to put a bad back on. (I have tools with me. Yay!!!)

So I gas it up, go for a pee and think I'm thankful there wasn't any major damage. On the other hand, I still have 8 hours to ride and I'm OCD so you know the reflector and feeler are going to bug me.

I get the cabin uneventfully (I tell you every stop at a gas pump for rest of trip my brain is giving me a don't fall message & it was still gusty everywhere). But my brain once I get to the cabin is working on what I'm doing about the reflector and feeler cause I know me. And I'm not waiting 6 days to deal with it when I get home.

So at 5am when the sun comes up, at the cabin, I'm raiding my dad's shed. Flat black rustoleum. Yep will need that. Hammer...yup. anvil??? Bonus! Tar and bug remover for the foam tape residue on reflector? Why not? I wait until a more civil time of 6am and take my coffee and tools and floorboard and feeler down to dock and start pounding out & twisting that feeler back into shape along with a dent in the floorboard. Clean up the reflector spot on the bag like there never was one on the bike and by the time my folks got up at 730am you never would have known anything had been wrong.

Another OCD rider. Someone put a dent in my tank at a bike rally, and the next day had the tank off at at the shop. Made me sick to even see it. Could not wait another minute to get that fixed. The shop didn't really want to paint it, as they usually just do auto work, so the guy told me I would have to take the tank off, thinking as a lady I wouldn't do it. Soooo home it was, tank off and back up there. He was so stunned he said he had to fix it. Hubby was out of town and had it repaired and back on before he made it home.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Glad all worked out well for you .
I had a flashback of the muscular kid with the grenade tattooed on his neck warning me to not move my new Magum unless I was straddling it . He was a very fit young employee of my dealer who's warning I should have heeded . He went further in his advice saying that if it goes over, you'll never get it back up as the handle bars alone won't provide enough leverage . His words played over in my head as my extended anus now touched cloth while trying to upright this behemoth in my garage . I had just moved my Hammer aside with no issue as usual and finally with every ounce of strength I could muster succeeded in returning the Magnum to the sidestand with no damage. Love the bike but having to take precautionary measures on where I park and how I position the bike on uneven ground is something I'm gonna have to be more aware of. If there was some kind of grab handle in the vicinity of the passenger floorboard, I think I could have dealt with this dilemma far easier . Any thoughts?

·
Registered
603 Posts

PS- my mom wondered what I was hammering on at 6am. Whoopsie:)[/QU

Nice story. You have reason to feel good about it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a flashback of the muscular kid with the grenade tattooed on his neck warning me to not move my new Magum unless I was straddling it . He was a very fit young employee of my dealer who's warning I should have heeded . He went further in his advice saying that if it goes over, you'll never get it back up as the handle bars alone won't provide enough leverage . His words played over in my head as my extended anus now touched cloth while trying to upright this behemoth in my garage . I had just moved my Hammer aside with no issue as usual and finally with every ounce of strength I could muster succeeded in returning the Magnum to the sidestand with no damage. Love the bike but having to take precautionary measures on where I park and how I position the bike on uneven ground is something I'm gonna have to be more aware of. If there was some kind of grab handle in the vicinity of the passenger floorboard, I think I could have dealt with this dilemma far easier . Any thoughts?
I have almost dumped it wheeling it back (more brake)

Standing beside it forgetting i left in gear and starting it (i don't leave in gear anymore)

Both of those times I fought to hold it for 3 or 4 seconds and won but not this time.

Bike is just bloody heavy and there is zero leverage to hold it if it starts to go over sitting on it. The best I think a guy can do is try to drop slowly

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another OCD rider. Someone put a dent in my tank at a bike rally, and the next day had the tank off at at the shop. Made me sick to even see it. Could not wait another minute to get that fixed. The shop didn't really want to paint it, as they usually just do auto work, so the guy told me I would have to take the tank off, thinking as a lady I wouldn't do it. Soooo home it was, tank off and back up there. He was so stunned he said he had to fix it. Hubby was out of town and had it repaired and back on before he made it home.
Lol. EXACTLY! My OCD did me well in my career. Now it sometimes feels like I'm a slave to it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Victory made some passenger grab handles, sold as an accessory. I have them installed on my 2014 XCT and like them very much. They are quite heavy duty and if I am ever in a situation where I need pick up my dropped bike I would use these as lift points along with the handle bars. Not sure if you can still get some but the Victory Part # is 2877480. Here is a link to Victory Passenger Handhold Grips - Chrome | Victory Motorcycles AU. If you like what you see, maybe you can still find a set for sale by doing an online search.

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Victory made some passenger grab handles, sold as an accessory. I have them installed on my 2014 XCT and like them very much. They are quite heavy duty and if I am ever in a situation where I need pick up my dropped bike I would use these as lift points along with the handle bars. Not sure if you

can still get some but the Victory Part # is 2877480. Here is a link to Victory Passenger Handhold Grips - Chrome | Victory Motorcycles AU. If you like what you see, maybe you can still find a set for sale by doing an online search.
Good tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.