VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just bought a highly customized X-1 from a dealer in Vegas. Bike was brand new (10 miles on it) so felt pretty comfortable taking it home. But noticed right away the turn signals didn't work after a very short ride. Came home, tested them and they came on (engine was off with the key on). Take it for a ride again right turn signal doesn't work but the left one does. Test again with the bike running and they all still work fine. Go for a ride neither signal works. I should note that the signal will "try" to come on then not work. I have traced it down to being an issue with RPMs being above idle causing the issue, though the left works most of the time even at higher RPM. But the right seems to always fail. Front signals are stock (I believe) but with it having custom rear bags it has two LED strips on them that obviously aren't stock. From all the research I have read I am guessing this is the issue but haven't read anyone that has the same problem as I do. Anyone ever hear of this or what the fix is? And before someone says "take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it"; I am 1200 miles from them. And highly doubt my local dealer will help trace it down under warranty due to the mods.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got a pic of the bike. It sounds like the one that was at Ride now in Peoria AZ, I heard they sent one to a play in Vegas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a pic of the bike. It sounds like the one that was at Ride now in Peoria AZ, I heard they sent one to a play in Vegas.
It definitely was that bike. Sorry for the delay, for some reason I stopped getting notifications for this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I added a trailer isolator which fixed them from shutting off but now they fast blink. I just so happen to have a load equalizer that I bought but when I hook it up it causes them not to function at all. Are these computer on these bikes just so sensitive that an equalizer won't work? Or anyone know a fix?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I realize you are 1200 miles from the dealer you bought it from, but have you at least called them to see if they can give you any suggestions. Magnum comes with LED signals, so you shouldn’t get hyper flash unless you have a bad flasher relay. You also should not need load equalizers. Have you tried replacing the flasher relay? Are you sure they didn’t reverse the polarity in one, some, or all of the signals? Do you only have one front and one rear signal on each side, or multiple on each side?

A picture would be very helpful in helping you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realize you are 1200 miles from the dealer you bought it from, but have you at least called them to see if they can give you any suggestions. Magnum comes with LED signals, so you shouldn't get hyper flash unless you have a bad flasher relay. You also should not need load equalizers. Have you tried replacing the flasher relay? Are you sure they didn't reverse the polarity in one, some, or all of the signals? Do you only have one front and one rear signal on each side, or multiple on each side?

A picture would be very helpful in helping you.
Well the dealer I bought it from didn't even do the mods. They got it from another dealer. What I've learned is most dealers aren't as helpful as what I can learn online. Attached is the signals that I think are causing the issues. I didn't check polarity as I figured with LEDs they normally don't work at all when wired backwards. Since these work I don't see that being the issue. And they did flash normal speeds until the trailer isolator was added. Not sure if you are familiar with what that does but it pulls voltage from the battery instead of the turn signal wiring (think of it as a relay) which is why I am guessing it is causing the fast blink issue.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Remove the trailer isolator. If everything goes back to normal then the trouble is your responsibility.

I'd confirm the installation instructions and put it back in. If the problem reoccurs measure the load because it sounds like it's dragging it down so low you're screwing up all the electronics. Contact the manufacturer of the isolator. Perhaps they've run into similar problems and can offer a solution.

Also, from dealer to dealer you should still have a warranty unless someone's pulling a scam. Any authorized dealer can do the warranty work and recover their expenses from Polaris. To void any warranty work they would have to show it was the mods that created the problem. If so, you'll be on the hook for the total cost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While in the shower I was thinking about the wiring and the isolator may be hooked up incorrectly causing the issue. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and report back. So we can hit "pause" on this for now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It definitely was that bike. Sorry for the delay, for some reason I stopped getting notifications for this thread.
I heard the two bikes they did had issues but did not know the full extent or what exactly. If I remember correctly one of them was bought twice but returned due to issues. Hope all gets worked out for you.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Did you try calling the Peoria dealer and asking them for assistance? If nothing else, to find the “builder” and ask them what they think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's normal for it to flash faster. It just thinks a light is out. Mine does it too. It won't harm it at all
Yeah, it works just don't like it because it's not "right". I guess I'll just have to live with it as I double checked my wiring and was done as it should've been done. Even pull the entire tail section off to check the builders wiring just to make sure nothing was wrong there. I guess the option is to have fast flashing ones or none at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got it all working properly after a little bit of trial and error. I added a 2W 100 ohm resistor to each signal and that was enough to simulate the factory turn signal load. Signals now flash at the proper rate with the trailer isolator hooked up.

Reactions: Poseidon
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.