VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
When 1200 HP just isn't enough for your bike anymore....

• Haha
Reactions: PaiN

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The trend now is way too much power... and then you add traction control, wheelie control, driving modes... so the rider doesn't kill himself.

Like that KTM 1290 superduke thing... why put too much power in it... and then $6000 worth of electronics to hold back some of the power? Why not just de-tune it to 130 HP with more torque down low and be f**king happy?

Bikes like the 'Busa and Rocket III have had timing retard in the first couple of gears FOR YEARS so you can't have ALL the power until 3rd gear. Yeah... so the answer is way more power and way more electronics to limit that power.

Do ya know why I bang my head against this post? Because when I stop it feels great!
Lets' see... I could put a bunch of padding on the post so I can bang my head REALLY hard and not hurt myself... or... I could ease up on the head banging. I just can't decide...

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
The trend now is way too much power... and then you add traction control, wheelie control, driving modes... so the rider doesn't kill himself.

Like that KTM 1290 superduke thing... why put too much power in it... and then $6000 worth of electronics to hold back some of the power? Why not just de-tune it to 130 HP with more torque down low and be f**king happy?

Bikes like the 'Busa and Rocket III have had timing retard in the first couple of gears FOR YEARS so you can't have ALL the power until 3rd gear. Yeah... so the answer is way more power and way more electronics to limit that power.

Do ya know why I bang my head against this post? Because when I stop it feels great!
Lets' see... I could put a bunch of padding on the post so I can bang my head REALLY hard and not hurt myself... or... I could ease up on the head banging. I just can't decide...
Is that like falling off roof of house....doesn't hurt till STOP :fie:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I remember the article and the build on this thing. If memory serves, it was in Cycle Guide Magazine back in the mid to late 70's. It's an Allison aircraft engine from a P-51 and I believe rated a bit over 1200HP. V12 and I don't think he could find anybody who wanted to ride it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
As with alot of things....just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Yeah, while ya'll are growing old I've decided to go ahead and have that second child hood they talk about.......without the 'crapping my pants' part, of course.

But, you know things are going down hill fast when you pick up a few sticks in the yard and have to go to the heating pad for your back. Damn, old age.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to ride one. People used to think 120 hp on a 650 lb cruiser was excessive. I've ridden 180 hp sub 500 lb sport bikes and it's a religious experience. As long as the throttle is predictable it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I'm thinking @halfcrazy and @Squatch will finally get beat :rofl2: (I want to see @Squatch PUSH this one thru the curves till bored :icon_thumleft:)
Humm, just because you can build it doesn't mean you should.

Started out with Sprint Cars, no gears just a dog clutch, 170+ on the rear wheel is an experience to be had, but equally spiritual when the other three catch up and now you are sideways at 100+ in the corner with a few of your closest friends chucking grapefruit side clay clods in your face....

Rode the back seat at 1.25 mach in a F-14 complete with a few twists and turns..... gives you quite an appreciation for Gravity

205 on the water in South Florida.... no thanks my eye balls are still jittering...

54knots inexcess of VNE and lived to tell the tale.....

So I will pass on a Merlin Engine strapped to my ass thanks.

• Winner
Reactions: IM12STPN
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.