Trouble w/new grips | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Trouble w/new grips

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by bronze, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bronze

bronze Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Highball
    Hi all,

Hopefully someone out there has encountered and resolved a similar issue...
    I recently purchased a set of Ness grips - Fusion Ring Leaders to be exact. While installing the throttle grip, I noticed it did not spin freely on the handle bar like the stock grip did. And this is BEFORE I connected the throttle cables so of course it was still stiff after I connected the cables.
    I contacted Ness and they told me sometimes the Victory bars are slightly bent out of shape at the factory when they are adding the dimple for the switch box.
    Is this true? Is there a way around this?
    However, when I measure the internal diameter of the Ness vs stock, the stock are approx 0.5mm larger than the Ness.
    I suppose I could take sandpaper to the inside of the grips but if it's a manufacturing issue or another way to resolve it, I'd like to know my options.

Thanks all in advance!!!

2. bronze

bronze Member

2012 Highball
    The guys at Arlen Ness tell me that it was likely a manufacturing issue. Sending new grips w/no problem. Hopefully the new ones will go on w/out a hitch!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bronze

bronze Member

2012 Highball
    Ok,

Received new grips from Ness and still had the same issue :-(
    After scratching my head almost ready to take the bike to the shop and have them install the grips, I noticed this little lip at the end of the bars.
    Eureka! When they cut the bars during manufacturing, a small lip was formed around the circumference of the handle bar ends. I whipped out my metal file and carefully filed down the lip until smooth with the rest of the bar.
    That did the trick!
    New throttle grips are as smooth as butter and snaps back w no issues.
    The Ness grips have a tighter tolerance and smaller internal diameter so it's more susceptible to this problem. The factory resolves it by making a larger throttle sleeve thats large enough to not care about any stinking bar imperfections.

Sure hope my agony helps someone out there!

20150322_143037.jpg 20150322_143022.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1