VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 160 mile ride, walking around the bike and covering it, I noticed a strong smell of gasoline but no visible liquid on the bike or the ground. The gasoline fill is tight and gasket intact. The bike was full prior to the trip but is not full now, Is there a particular spot these CCT's are prone to leaks or venting. Any ideas on troubleshooting are appreciated

· Registered
7 Posts
I also experience a some strong fuel fumes after a long ride. Interested in the expert opinions here. Is it just residual unspent fuel in pipes from the ride? I haven't had a tune yet, so I know mine is not running optimally.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
When you remove the tank two vent lines are attached to it. Those two vent lines attach to the underside of the tank with a 90 degree rubber elbow. Those rubber elbows deteriorate over time and may need to be replaced.

On my 2013 Hard-Ball, one of the rubber elbows deteriorated a lot more than the other but I’ll replace both of them over the weekend.

Also look at the rubber connections the two tank vent lines attach to under the front of the seat. Those rubber connections could also be deteriorated.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
The bike was full prior to the trip
When / if I fill my xct to the tanks top it will have the fuel smell, I’m 99.71% sure it’s just the overflow venting especially if immediately hitting curvy roads before using the fuel down low enough to create an air gap in the top of the tank. I’ve came to this conclusion by tracing a damp spot at the overflow tubing under the bike. Most definitely check all the rubber bits while doing routine maintenance

· Registered
29 Posts
I can smell fuel every now and then, either when riding my 2014 XC, or for a few minutes after after parking it in my garage. I just assumed it was the gas tank vent . There have to be some fumes coming out of there otherwise evap canisters wouldn't have been introduced on California models. Very good ideas in this thread from other members though. I'll be having a good look at the fuel pipes next time I have the gas tank off for air filter cleaning. Regards.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
The two hard plastic type vent hoses attached under the tank are 6mm OD and 8mm OD. I’d guess new rubber elbows sized 1/4” and a 3/8” should work fine. The oem rubber elbows and rubber fittings are glued to the hard plastic vent pipes. But they use a standard worm gear hose clamp to the vent nipples under the tank.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts