VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Thunderbird is Go.
Just recieved an E-Mail Triumph is now taking new orders for the Thunderbird.
The ordered bikes will be in dealers hands by end ofJune.
This will be the largest Triumph engine and it is water cooled.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

I test rode the Rocket III before buying my Vision.
This T-Bird has spec's close to the Vision's
Thunderbird'sSpecifications:

Engine:
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel twin,
270º firing interval
Capacity:
1599cc
Final Drive:
belt
Gearbox:
6-speed constant mesh
Seat Height:
27.6in
Wheels:
Front - Cast aluminum alloy
5-spoke 19 x 3.5 inch
Rear - Cast aluminum alloy
5-spoke 17 x 6 inch

Tires:
Front - 120/70 R19
Rear - 200/50 R1

Brakes:
Front - Twin 310mm fixed discs.
Nissin 4-piston fixed calipers
Rear - Single 310mm fixed disc.
Brembo 2-piston floating caliper

ABS:
Option Available

Power:
More than80bhp
Torque:
More than 100 lb/ft

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
SideshowBob said:
Trekwolf164 said:
This will be the largest Triumph engine and it is water cooled.
Thunderbird: 1600 cc

Rocket III: 2300 cc
Thanks I did not know the Rocket was that large

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's great to see a "big twin" that isn't a Vee. Now if someone would just bring back the transverse mounted multis. But I guess an air-cooled inline 4 would be out of the question in the age of EPA.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I was thinking this new T-Bird was going to be a Monster but it seems the Rocket will still be the largest Touring bike Triumph builds

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Trekwolf164 said:
I was thinking this new T-Bird was going to be a Monster but it seems the Rocket will still be the largest Touring bike Triumph builds
Hey Trekwolf, is this the bike that's going into the stable?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That's it .

·
Registered
457 Posts
SideshowBob said:
It's great to see a "big twin" that isn't a Vee. Now if someone would just bring back the transverse mounted multis. But I guess an air-cooled inline 4 would be out of the question in the age of EPA.
It's a great thing indeed... We could do with a little more variation than just V's, like you said. Oh, and bmw had (or has) an inline 4, but i guess that it's not the kind of bike the vog focus group would buy :)
Your comment reminded me of a comment on this site (click), which I kinda agree with on a certain level :) =>
It's about time, Triumph. You've finally got it right! 1600cc, PARALLEL TWIN, great symmetry, awesome predicted power. I can hardly wait! I was never a big fan of V-twins. Basically, they all look like they suffered a serious birth defect. Then comes along the 2010 Triumph Thunderbird bringing sanity and hope to the cruising world. WELL DONE.
In fact, if we try to take a step back, and detach ourselves from the cultural dominance a V-twin has in the cruiser world, he kinda makes a point here :)
We engineered ourselves a way 'around' a V-twin, to a point where it's the default choice for making a cruiser. Whereas 'cruiser' only reflects the position you have on the bike. (forward pegs, pulled back bars, 'horizontal' arms)
The birth of the V-twin was a purely practical matter. First they made a disc-like carter with a cylinder on it. To provide more power, the easiest thing to do was add another cylinder support and opening to the same carter, offset to the first one by a couple of degrees... Tadaa, birth of the V-twin... :) And since we all love tradition we stuck with the theme.
I like the Thunderbird. I like the fact it will probably be a civilized bike, i like the fact it's aircooled for carefree operation... The classic looking triumphs always trail a little behind though, technologywise... But you can't blame them, and they're just oozing with charm. It's not a coincidence that Marlon brando had a triumph in 'the wild one'. Bonnevilles were hugely popular.
I wished they'd stayed a little closer to the 'america/speedmaster' theme in terms of classic looks. There was also no need for a huge 1600 in an effort to keep up with 'bigger is better'... Make it a sweet handling and light 1300 and it would be a hit bike... There's no shame in using the gearbox while riding a bike. ;) But it seems that American cruisers want to engage 4th and cruise all day without touching the gear lever :) But i guess they need the 100 ci in a market where displacement is the first thing consumers look at.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

It looks alot like the America it has a larger motor and is water cooled.

·
Registered
457 Posts

2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
This link above provides an interesting article on how the Thunderbird came to be developed and what the design goals were. What market it should compete in, and the consumer they had in mind.
I like this bike even more now :) And at least they came up with some nice looking wheels (unlike the wheelbarrow wheels on the roadliners for example)
It's slots in nicely under the rocket III, which is too enormous for most people (and very expensive as well)
As mentioned in the article, the engine had to look as clean as possible, with a minimum of cooling lines and other distractions as possible. I like it when they go that extra mile to provide a quality and minimalistic fit and finish. The reason that Victory's attracted my attention in the first place.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

The engine on the Rocket is large But it has standard controls making it uncomfortable for taller riders. Me anyway.
I have an America and love the foward controls being stock.
But the Vision has the best leg room .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Trekwolf164 said:
The engine on the Rocket is large But it has standard controls making it uncomfortable for taller riders. Me anyway.
Seriously? For _taller_ riders? That's a surprise, considering how big the bike looks. I suppose you're talking about the pegs?
Oh well, it's a matter of what you're used to. In Europe you'd struggle to find someone riding a bike with forward pegs. They're all riding midmounted standard bikes here. I don't think it's particulary small compared to other bikes, but how does it compare to the bonneville i see in your signature?
I have an America and love the foward controls being stock.
You weren't considering having forward controls on a Rocket, were you? :)
I've been on forward control bikes before, but in comparison to a standard, it feels a little weird. It makes me feel like lacking just a bit of control and 'feel' for the bike and the road.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

The 79 Bonnie I have is small I got it at when I was 20 it has mid controls but I could slide back on the seat.
The Rocket I test drove before buying the Vision felt cramped to me and I could not see paying the MSRP and then having to modify it.
I had the same issue with the Road king.
The Vision fit me with no mods

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
While I don't keep up to date with Triumph bikes, I did run across this tidbit from Gizmodo:

I can't decide whether I like carbon fiber, or I just love the color black.

The Triumph Speed Triplemotorcycle features a 1050cc triple engine to get you going and twin4-piston, 4-caliper brakes to bring you to a stop.

But if that's notenough, a special, limited run of 55 Triumph Speed Triples will get thecarbon treatment that includes a flyscreen, cowl, infill panels, heatshield, mud guard, and sprocket covers, all done up in the matte blackmaterial.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Nice piece of kit.
Not TransAmerica worthy, although you'll get there a lot faster ;)
Psst, you forgot a category => Guzzi has some (classic) cruisers with a lot of Italian character and charm (Bellagio/California Classic). Human sized bikes...
But since most of the other categories have 0 replies, and this is after all a VOG forum, it's really not that important.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
rider_eu said:
Psst, you forgot a category => Guzzi has some (classic) cruisers with a lot of Italian character and charm (Bellagio/California Classic). Human sized bikes...
But since most of the other categories have 0 replies, and this is after all a VOG forum, it's really not that important.
Im sure Andy and eveyone else will agree, that although yes this is a Victory based site, we are all bike enthusiasts and like to see all types of bikes and mods for them. You never know when something you see on some other bike might inspire you to try something with your Vic, or whatever else you ride.
So bring em on !

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

My 1979 Bonniville Special may be getting a new home met a guy whileout for a ride on my Vision. We were talking about Bikes and he mentioned he had had Triumph's and missed them I told him I had one getting neglected. He looked her over today and said I may hear from him soon.
I hope he takes it I would like to see her cleaned up and on the road again.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.