VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ridden a Harley with Kuryakyn Trigger Levers? If so, you'll want them for your Victory!

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/9/scID/10/IMID/115

Sadly they don't make them for Victory, but you can do what I did.... make your own, for cheap. I got a tube of "Fast Steel" from Walmart automotive department. It's a putty that you knead in your hands, stick it on the clutch & brake lever, and mold it to shape. When it sets up, it's rock-hard to be filed and sanded to final shape.

Check the picture on my home page:
http://thevog.net/americanv2

Works so well I had to share it with my fellow Victory riders. cheers,
=Mark=

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

I'm thinking about doing it, but was wondering if it could be chromed with the 2 part metal & aluminum mixture.
alternatively, I will probably powdercoat them.
Also, Looking at your design, I'm thinking of countersinking a SS machine screw through the inside and out the operating surface 1/8",to give the Molecular Metal something to bite on.
What'dya think?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
keithgrey said:
I'm thinking about doing it, but was wondering if it could be chromed with the 2 part metal & aluminum mixture.
alternatively, I will probably powdercoat them.
It can be chromed, just has to be prep first.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
without trying these first I can't say whether or not I'd like them. Never tried a bike but the theory behind the index finger using the 'pocket' is interesting.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

The designers say it works better because your forefinger is by far the strongest and using the last three fingers (normal lever)to do the work wears out your grip faster.
My regular passenger is a PT with a degree in kinesiology and agrees with them, but I think there is some mechanical advantage in just being able to pull back on your arm when your grip gets tired.
Outside of Asthetics (and some arty type could make it kool I'm sure) I see no reason not too have the trigger lever. Well, unless your had has an oddity like my three blasted right fingers,,, my R trigger lookks fairly normal nowbut the middle two do all the work
Either way if I do it I'm doing both

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trigger works well on the clutch lever because it positions my hand identically each time I grab the lever, so I get consistent friction-point shifts. The FastSteel putty will stick permanently to practically any surface, so adding an internal embedded screw really isn't necessary. I've used the product for all sorts of jobs, including a hole in an oil pan, and it does not come off! Just clean and rough up the lever before you apply the putty. I doubt it will chrome or powder coat because the putty is not electrically conductive. You could mask it off and paint it, I guess. No matter to me because it really doesn't show, because it's on the backside of the lever. I will do the same on my brake lever.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

Pyro Putty 1000 is a primarily Aluminum equivalent to the faststeel, and the manufacturer says it dries to a light aluminum color, and can be powder coated.
http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDetails.asp?item_id=143&prd_id=57&cat_id=15&curPage=1
I'll let you know if I do it, or use your tried and true method.
It would be justy like me toscrew up a $100 pair of Levers.
Who knows, maybe I'll just use the walmart stuff,,,I'm still thinking about it.
KG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pyro 1000 paste says " for application to 1/2" thick" so I'm guessing it can't be molded into an inch-high mound. Probably too thin, like a thick paint.

The faststeel is a 2part putty that you knead in your hands till it gets warm and sticky. (sounds weird to describe it) The resulting trigger doesn't look bad. It's a flat black color on the brushed silver lever.

It's not hard to feather sand the trigger making it a seamless feel on the lever.

If you don't like it, you could just sand it off. I don't think you can break it off, tho I haven't tried.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

Found the Pyro Putty looking for thetwo part metal puttywe used to put on mufflers and stuff when I was a kid.
I thought it held up to chrome dipping, but I cant swear. Probably taken off the shelves cuz some inner city youth put it in his ear. That stuff got HOT when you mixed it.
The first edition is still my most likely bet. I'm just not THAT adventurous with parts that take time to replace.
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.