Tried out some Vics and also tried out some Harleys........... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Tried out some Vics and also tried out some Harleys...........

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Humbucker, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

A couple of months ago I tried out a Cross Roads, a Cross Country and a Vision. I took a passenger on the Cross Country and the suspension sucked but I'm certain that it was due to a lack of air in the rear shock because I took out the same passenger on the Vision and it felt great(what a bike!). One thing that I was thinking while out with these bikes was that something was missing and I think for me, it was that the stock pipes just are too sedate for my liking, so that's no biggie. My Vulcan has after-market pipes with a nice low rumble and I'm just used to that sound. I thought that the Harleys that I had demoed last year had more bark but I was wrong because I just went out this past weekend to the Harley demo rides and the Road King and Electra Glide Classic that I took out were just as sedate. Honestly, I've been flip-flopping back and forth between Harley and Victory for a long time, I like both brands. Lately I was convinced that the Harley tourers would be the way to go but after trying them out again, after giving it some more thought, I'm really starting to doubt that sentiment now. The Harleys are a lot smaller then my Vulcan 1600 Classic, I'm six feet tall and I feel like I'm being cramped on the Harleys. I don't mind being close to my wife but we both felt a bit squished together on the Harley tourers this weekend, she didn't like it after awhile. The Harley's suspension, handling and power were fine, they're great looking bikes IMO but then there was the vibrating when coming to a stop, at first I thought that it was a neat character but after a bit, and being honest with myself, I think that it was wearing on me a bit. It looks like Victory is a better choice then a Harley for me. I really like the looks of the Harleys but I don't think that the vibrating and cramped quarters are worth it in the end. My neighbour just bought a brand new 2012 Ultra Classic and it's great for him because he's quite short. It's great to go to as many demo rides as possible, you really start to hone in on what's important to you and what isn't, plus it's free!:wink: I'm really impressed that Victory now has ABS brakes on all of their touring bikes now, that's what I wanted to see. Way to go Victory!

2. Miagy

Miagy New Member

I bought a new vision tour over a year ago. I have rode all brands and types of motorcycles with the exception of Excelcier-Handerson. The vision was the best bang for my buck and the more I ride it the more I like it. I go on a lot of charity fides with the little woman and every body wants to trade. Sometimes I will let them ride mine while I ride their (fill in the brand) and they love the ride and some wished they had test rode a Victory Vision first. I even got a few die hard crotch rocket riders to switch. My girl calls it the easy chair. We recently test rode some 3 wheel conversions which none were a Victory and I was not impressed. I was spoiled with the ride of my Victory. I have been riding since 8 years old and now I am 55. I did not buy for future resale values or hype of brands. I bought what i thought was the most comfortable for me and my wife.

3. Dimonback

Dimonback Member

I'm 6' tall with a 35" inseam, and I feel cramped on every HD except the Wide Glide. but in my mind, the telling tale is what someone posted awhile back regarding their Iron Butt ride: If it was done on a Vision, it doesn't count". Granted, I ride the XR now- but all things considered, it's just a Vision sans plastic.

4. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    I'm 6'1" and went thru the same thing you are going thru. On any given day I would be looking at the Electra Glide and then the XC, could of went either way. The Harley salespeople finally ended up pissing me off and so I went and put a deposit down and ordered my 2010 XC. I had reservations up until I switched bikes with my buddy that went out and bought the 2010 Ultra Classic. I was so cramped on that bike after being used to my XC that I felt as though I was riding a mini-bike. My size 12 feet could not move on the floorboards and I actually had to turn my left foot sideways so as it would fit between the toe and heel shifter. I was so relieved to get back on my bike and stretch out, way more comfortable! It also doesn't hurt that I can spank him and that 96 twin cam at will. Pipes and pulling the restrictive strip from under the tank really give the XC the attitude it needs. I love the sound of my D&D's and there are a few other good choices as well like the RPW's and the Ness Big Honkers.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    If people couldn't hear the motorcycles they were comparing, Victory motorcycles would win hands down. Harleys have the sweetest sounding motorcycles out there.

6. davelau

davelau Active Member

09 Ness Vision
    Absolutely love the sound a Harley makes! They're so dang boring to ride though. If I'm not into it....it's just not for me. The Vision does it for me every time I start her up. (quirks and all) Demo rides don't really say a lot. Rent one for an extended trip. That's the only way to really know what a bike is capable of IMHO. www.streeteagle.com They rent Visions as well as XC.

7. bravo

bravo New Member

2011 Cross Roads
    I know a lot of people say this about the HD sound. My girlfriend thinks they sound like a lawnmower in need up a tune up. Would have to say I agree with her. To each his own I guess. My CR with stage 1 kit is all I need.

8. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Do you think Victory motorcycles sound bad? Turn this up loud: [link='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgwhxANhtM']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgwhxANhtM[/link] [link='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FsmAELFq4']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FsmAELFq4[/link]

9. racky

racky Well-Known Member

HC, I like it!!!! Although all v-twins exhaust notes are judged by how close they get to the "HARLEY-POTATO-POTATO" sound, the more I hear the victory's 50 degree exhaust note, the more it grows on me, it sounds like an ANGRY harley,(stock pipes excluded,of course) Also if you've ever heard a v-twin ROTAX with after market exhaust pipes, they've got a nice bad a$$ sound to'em too