VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Aside from the 1-2 clunk, mines pretty smooth, but I try to make my shift points 3k. Trans is much smoother with shifts above 3k IMHO.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know this question has reared its ugly head before But i started hearing a slight clunk in trans when shifting and letting out on clutch. Any thoughts??
Very common on a big bore bike.
What's uncommon is a tranny clunk post from a guy that uses "SMOOOOOOTH" as his screen moniker........ I lIke it :clap:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
...try rev matching
Otherwise know as "blipping the throttle". Works for me though many don't believe in it. Too big a blip can cause the engine to die when downshifting. So blip a bit and you'll be ok.

• Winner
Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Otherwise know as "blipping the throttle". Works for me though many don't believe in it. Too big a blip can cause the engine to die when downshifting. So blip a bit and you'll be ok.
This works but does have a learning curve. Practice. Less tends to be more. Light touch up top and authoritative push/pull below. Follow through is important. And timing!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I guess everyone has their own way with these trannys coming off Harley I don't see what the issue is. They bang into first no worst then Harley maybe even less. I shift up between 3000 and 3500 I mostly downshift by 27 to 2800 with a short blip whenever I downshift. I have no issues with these trannys other then if running long and hard in the heat neutral It mite take a little more to hit.neutral I will say this if your gonna shift these bikes don't pussy foot around LIFT AND SHIFT !

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Ah yes, the almighty blip. Usually an unspeakable crime for a Vic rider!

Frankly I don't give it much thought...

:badgrin:

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I was asking the same question back when I first got my XR four years ago with 1,800 miles on it. Seriously, Just today I took it for a short ride and was thinking that with 92,000 miles it's working better and SMOOOOOOTHER than ever.
That is excellent to hear. How much of it do you think is the machine versus you in those 90,200 miles? In other words, what have you changed when it comes to riding your bike over all of those miles? I suspect the machine hasn't changed much, yet your're noticing things are better and smoother than ever. I suspect it is all you man and you may not even realize it.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
That is excellent to hear. How much of it do you think is the machine versus you in those 90,200 miles? In other words, what have you changed when it comes to riding your bike over all of those miles? I suspect the machine hasn't changed much, yet your're noticing things are better and smoother than ever. I suspect it is all you man and you may not even realize it.
Yes, I suppose you might be right. After a lot of saddle time on any machine you tend to get a feeling for each other and learn how to keep each other happy. I had just finished a 20 day 7200 mile trip of the west and believe me I was feeling as one with my machine. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.