Transmission sounds really bad, need advice | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Transmission sounds really bad, need advice

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Geobob, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    The bike is a 2009 vision with 80k miles on it. We have been on the road for a week now and the transmission is making a bad sound when the load off. No noise under load and no noise when bike is pushing the motor. Is there a chain drive between the motor and the transmission with a tensioning pulley. That is what i am envisioning as the problem based on the noise. It has gotten worse over the last few days and I am worried about trying to get it home. Has anyone had this problem. I am thinking if the problem is something in the transmission then we could be looking for a new motor but dose anyone think it might seize up or is likely to just leave me sitting on the side of the road

2. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    And by the way we are presently in Boone NC and headed to Williamsport PA

3. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    When sitting still and you tilt bike as far as possible left and right do you get noise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

I think we talked about that problem earlier and no it did not. I actually seems to run fine until it hits that spot between pulling and pushing and then it has scary sound. Otherwise it runs fine. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

5. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Are you hearing driveline lash that wasn't there before? Check the rear drive pulley bolts and the rear wheel axle nut and wheel bearings. Also, is it possible you're hearing the front pulley wobble? Drive belt too tight or too loose?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

That very well could be since I put a new under drive pulley on and had the rear pulley off when did the rear wheel. The belt felt tight if not too tight. I tired to get at the drive pulley earlier but don't think I could get the cover off with the pipes on. I put lock tight on all of those bolts but that does not mean they could not be loose. I would be only too happy if the problem was not internal.

7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Since you don't get a chattering noise when you tilt the bike at a standstill, your transmission is most certainly just fine. I have read where people had the front pulley nut come loose after installing an UD pulley. That likely has nothing to do with the UD pulley itself unless it's loose on the shaft even with the pulley nut being installed correctly. Recheck all your work on both pulleys and the nut.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    No, the primary is gears...

maxresdefault.jpg

9. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    You need to figure out where the noise is coming from. This made one hell of a racket...

5423.jpg

10. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

LOL Got to love these forums. I ask the question that I have a bad noise and I am worried about it and where it might be coming from and I get "you need to figure out where the noise is coming from" How did you come to the conclusion that I did not know that. What I need to know is what was anyone else's experience or ideas.

That all being said, maybe you "half crazy" could explain what the photo is and how did it reveal itself. It looks like a bad bearing one of the gears. I did not know if the gears were on bearings or was that the part of the clutch. Was it in the case or under the primary cover. How did it occur and did it do other damage. Did it feel intermittent. My motor sounds and runs fine until you hear the noise but it does not run any different even when it is clattering along.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    You do gotta love forums with ppl who respond to your call for help. Now that Victory is kaput and knowledgeable ppl are a dwindling commodity, a loose collection of gear heads may be all you got... when you don’t what your next move is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

I did find a local shop that is going to help me out. I or we should be able to check the belt adjustment and tension as well as torque on rear and maybe the front pulley. If that all looks fine, what might we look for under the primary cover? I am pretty sure we can pull that without a lot of effort.

13. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

Interestingly, I have two other old bikes, an 88 Venture and a 79 CBX and I could not own either without the help that I get and contribute on either forum. I hope to get this one there since I expect to own these rare bikes for a long time. We need a knowledge and experience pool to draw from. Even my local shop is not that experienced with victory bikes since they have not needed that much work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    That is the transmission mainshaft. The bearing stayed together in the cage so no shrapnel. It started out sounding like pebbles hitting the inside of the fenders (tink tink tink) in no particular rhythm. Over time it got progressively worse. The bike shifted and ran fine. It was impossible to figure out where the noise was coming from until I rolled it up on the dyno and got the stethoscope out. It sounded like the output shaft, so I took the belt off and turned the pulley back and forth... oh yeah, it was official then.

In order to get to that, the engine needs to come out of the bike and be taken completely apart to split the cases. It's a b!tch.
    I have no idea if this is your issue. If it is, it might be cheaper to buy a used complete engine. It's not that the parts are all that expensive (around $1,400) but the labor is a killer if you're paying someone to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Own a tube frame Buell and two Vics. Would be lost without "badweatherbikers" and the "VOG"forums.

• Like Like x 2