VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V92TC, while replacing the clutch cable I had to remove the transmission/primary cover. (I don't remember if I had to or if there was some other reason why I took it off as the bike has been sitting for some time now) I had someone helping me with all this and when It came time to properly torque the bolts on the cover we didn't have an inch lbs torque wrench on hand so we made due with a ft lbs wrench and did a little math to figure out the correct torque. (Our math was wrong BTW) Knew something was wrong when the torque wrench was not clicking at all. It was then I realized we had screwed up. Went and bought the correct torque wrench and torqued the rest of the bolts. Now oil leaks out from around that one bolt and I don't know what to do. Could we have cracked the transmission housing? Just stripped it out? I don't know, any helpful criticism would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
After you got the correct tool did you then redo the bolts you overtightened?

Did you use a new seal? What kind?

How much and where is the oil leaking? Which bolt?

Without being there anything I suggest is only a guess. You may just need to take it back off to inspect everything. Then maybe we'll be and to better help you. It may be very obvious once it's back off.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
If the bolt is stripped you should be able to tell. Either it is or it isn't. No mystery.

The cases are aluminum... the bolts are steel... cranking down on them is a bad idea.

Most of the time you are given a torque spec so you know when to STOP tightening. It is more of "it only needs to be this tight, stop here" rather than "it must be this tight".

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Seems to be your only 'cheap' way out of this mess is to take it back off.. put a NEW gasket/seal on it and try re-torquing the bolts in the CORRECT pattern to the CORRECT spec and see if that gets rid of the leak. It's just barely possible that you squashed the seal all to hell and a new one will stop the leak. More than likely you've mangled the cover itself and it may never seal correctly again. Trying anything else is just pissing in the wind.. take it off, do it right and see if that fixes it.

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
Seems to be your only 'cheap' way out of this mess is to take it back off.. put a NEW gasket/seal on it and try re-torquing the bolts in the CORRECT pattern to the CORRECT spec and see if that gets rid of the leak. It's just barely possible that you squashed the seal all to hell and a new one will stop the leak. More than likely you've mangled the cover itself and it may never seal correctly again. Trying anything else is just pissing in the wind.. take it off, do it right and see if that fixes it.
That was my thought. Gotta take it off to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.