VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding today and went to downshift from 2nd to 3rd and I got what sounded like a chattering or ratcheting sound , I pushed through and it dropped to 1st but with a clunk? Any ideas it will still do it it if I put light pressure on shift lever but won’t if I apply a good amount of pressure and push through. I had my 10,000 miles service done about a 1,000 miles ago. Any help will be appreciated thanks.Again it’s only between 2nd down to first .

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
You have to be assertive when shifting a Vic. Some more than others but they are nothing like a lot of the Asian brands which shift smooth with barely a click.

I believe half the problems people have with Victory transmissions is they sort of half shift instead of putting their toe or heel into it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s weird it just started to do it. I normally use same strength and pressure down shifting all the way down to first but now it takes a little more from 2nd to 1st. Just wondering if that’s normal with these bikes to do that after 10,000 miles? It sure has no problems up shifting lol.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I usually don't downshift to first until almost at a complete stop. It wasn't until after 50k that it seemed to be getting a little rougher to shift and I noticed the shifter had a lot of play in it. I installed the brass shifter bushings I got from Witchdoctors and it seemed much smoother. 95k and it still feels fine. Some have had issues with the shifter ratchet and also installing a washer to tighten things up. If you do a search for Shifter Ratchet on here you will find a few good threads.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Was out riding today and went to downshift from 2nd to 3rd and I got what sounded like a chattering or ratcheting sound , I pushed through and it dropped to 1st but with a clunk? Any ideas it will still do it it if I put light pressure on shift lever but won't if I apply a good amount of pressure and push through. I had my 10,000 miles service done about a 1,000 miles ago. Any help will be appreciated thanks.Again it's only between 2nd down to first .
You might be having problems with the bushing on your shifter. They aren't metal, and tend to gum up a little. Suggest taking a close look at that area.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have gotten this too occasionally. I find that I can avoid it by being more assertive with my downshifts and making sure I'm not downshifting too early. I also don't downshift into first anymore until I'm at a stop. And that shift into first either from neutral or 2nd has always resulted in a huge clunk on both my Victory's. That's the nature of the beast I suppose.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
You might be having problems with the bushing on your shifter. They aren't metal, and tend to gum up a little. Suggest taking a close look at that area.
Excellent point. Another common issue is the ball joints on the connecting rods must be lubed regularly or the shifting will act up as well. I like to use a white synthetic grease on those joints. It seems to stay on longer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you , will try the grease but I already did the brass bushing swap.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thank you , will try the grease but I already did the brass bushing swap.
I know when I did the brass bushing it was a bit tight, to the point of bind. I used a dremel disc to clear that up and used lithium grease on it. Perfect this way.
Brass can still get grungy

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've gotten a chatter when dropping down into second or first when I'm still rolling forward. I think it's clutch chatter, honestly. Like the others stated above, I don't usually downshift into 1 or 2 until I'm nearly at a stop. I usually just pop into neutral from 2nd and let the clutch out. Then, clutch in and down to 1st.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brass bushings are not binding, if I watch my speed and be stern with my down shifts it seems to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.