VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 06 KP with less than 4k miles on it. Now, everything I have read is that Victory has made great strides in the area of transmission noise.

My transmission works fine but:

Living in Texas with 100 degree days when I get it really hot, what a horrible clacking noise when I put it in neutral with the clutch out. When shifting everybody for 8 blocks should be able to know you hit another gear lol.

I am gonna change out the oil next week, maybe that will help it a bit. I have driven tractors with a quieter transmission :)

·
Registered
68 Posts

I have an 06 KP also. The klacking in neutral is pretty normal as is the clunking in gear shifting. I just turned 11k on mine and went from Vic oil to AMSOIL. It did quiet it down a lot. Shifting isn't as klunky and the klacking is still there but you have to listen for it to hear it - not as noticable as before. Been using AMSOIL in my 92c for 3 years and before that in my Suzuki 1500 with great results.
Nick

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, its gonna get pipes to counter the clacking (sounds) lol !! I love the bike and will accept that for the rest of it. I think it will prove to be a pretty tough bike with not a lot of money on maintenance.

Neutral sounds like a Ducati dry clutch and the rest is like straight cut gears. I am sure they do better now in 09. I drove an 08 Vegas and a Vision, they were more quiet, or maybe they just were not hot enough yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any large displacement air cooled V-Twin bike's transmission is going to be louder than a smaller bike. However, Amsoil will definitely make all motor noises quieter. Will still hear it, just not as much of it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
the noise in the trans will be determind by how the factory set the gear lash this is the space between the gears and victorys just have a lot of gear lash so that will make them noiser than most trans !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The sound you are hearing is the clutch basket. The basket is steel and there is not much oil in the primary side of the engine like on most jap bikes. There is a little movement between the clutch plates and the basket and also some between the basket and the gear. Most bikes have an aluminum basket and spring damped gear to help with clutch basket chatter. This is just one of the sounds we have to live with I guess. I had a customer with a couple hundred miles on his bike complain about it so I took the primary off to inspect it for him even after I showed him that mine made the same sound when hot. I am gonna try the Amsoil on my next oil change to see what happens.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Primary gear vs. chain, torque compensator, steel clutch baskets, loose lash, loud tappets. I got it! its a tractor! :)

Its a very good point that the big cc air cooled Asian bikes seem to not suffer with those sounds. I think they probably have the noise but spent some money on controlling the sound with the cases somehow. I do know its a lot louder than the motor company bikes too.

Its OK, its not broken so I am learning to accept it. Thursday night was with a guy with a 8-Ball KP with stage 1. He cured the noise with more noise. :) Oh! have to rephrase that. He cured the sounds with amplified aspiration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
satxron said:
Primary gear vs. chain, torque compensator, steel clutch baskets, loose lash, loud tappets. I got it! its a tractor! :)
LOL can I bring a John Deer "B" to Vic dealers for tune up? Its a big twin!

Really its just the bikes personality.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
When I first picked up my KingPin, I thought it was a lot clunky/chunky. Even told my harley buddies about it. They said it would get better as she broke in. I did find out that being easy with the throttle helped a lot. Letting the bike all the way to a closed throttle easy and not just letting go of it helped with the chunk and easing the throttle (from a closed position) while in gear with clutch out easy helped with the clunk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
can all them sounds you guys were talking about make you think the exhaust is louder when your rideing, also can it make the bike vibrate more, i might try an oil change, see what that does,havnt changed it yet, i just bought the bike this past winter, guy said he did an oil change right before i bought it, is it possible that he didnt do an oil change and the oil just broke down on me and its not lubing the way it should.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My past 2 Jap bikes have been a Honda VTX1800 and Suzuki M109, both of these bikes had a loud shift from 1st to 2nd. The Honda's engine was fairly quiet while the M109 was pretty noisey gotta admit though the Vic has them both beat when it comes to noise. I've only had mine less than a month and still miss the throttle response of the 9 a little but not the shock from a hard bump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
im thinking the intake noise and loud cam sound just might be my windshield, the noises are echoing off of it, i did just put it on maybe a few weeks before i started to notice the noises

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.