VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a topic that I know nothing about...Trailers.

Not the kind you put your bike on to tow, but the kind you attach to the back of a bike to haul additional stuff for long trips.

While I've never pulled a trailer behind a bike before, I'd enjoy reading about some personal experiences and some Do's and Don'ts for pulling these things.

Is there one manufacturer that's makes a better quality trailer than the others? Any info anyone may have may help some of the folks in the site plan upcoming Summer bike trips.

Does the additon of a frame hitch void a bike's warranty?

Feel free to chime-in on this one as I may ship my bike someplace this Summer and depending on the length of the trip I'll have two choices...Pack less and use a laundromat or get a trailer.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Andy with some careful packing you can do some long trips without a trailer. I was on the road for 16 days with this set-up. I was also camping soI also had a tent and sleeping bag with. Used a laundromat once on the trip at a KOA.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
However, with this settup you cant pick up any pretty little hitchikers along the way .

Of course i guess they could always sit on your lap .

·
Registered
717 Posts

Andy,
I am in the same boat. Not sure what I am looking for. Was just figuring on storage and staying in hotels, but found this site today. I am surprisingly interested.
www.trailmasterinc.com
Rick

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
The way i look at it ( and im a camper), you can stay in a lot of motels with a nice shower and comfy bed for 3600 bucks. And thats th cheap one.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Rollin said:
Andy with some careful packing you can do some long trips without a trailer.
And there is always the old use the kid as a pack mule trick.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I hope thats a typo Clubford ($3600 ), but a trailer would be great for the long hauls.
I've seen small pop-up trailers before behind some Wings and H D's, but i'm thinking of a small storage trailer myself, rain gear, tent if needed, dry cloths, you know, all the stuff I crammed on my bike last year, it would have been nice to bring some extra gear, ( goin through the mountians in may was cold at times ), again, i'm not ready for the " long hauler " at this point in my life, i'm havin too much fun on my pin, I would just like to carry a little more without the crammin/packin time.
No trunk for me, but I plan on a set of hard bags cause she's my daily rider, hope this year.
Any way, if anyone finds a site post for us, i'll keep my eyes open too.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Spider, dad rides thehis new Ness Vision and uses the son and his Honda Shadow as the pack mule, could life be any sweeter?
I've pulled a trailer down through the Northern States and all around the East Coast and back two up on a CB 750 Honda. It worked out quite well, one advantage of pulling a trailer all the added weight is kept low to the ground. I found when loading up the bike for touring the added weight would cause the frame to twist, a swaying feeling when you rocked from side to side, not a rock soild feeling. With the trailer on and two up the feeling was much better and one up with trailer was not much different than riding alone other than theallowances made for the added weight durring stopping which the Honda handled quite well.
The one thing Inoticed on the Kingpin was how rock solid it was when I checked it out for frame sway.

·
Registered
834 Posts

spider said:
Yeah but bobbyg, where does the kid sit to un pack ?
That little 750 Shadow has run from London to California through Texas and back cranked flat out to keep pace with my VTX 1800Rand still runs like a top.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rollin said:
Clubford00 said:
However, with this settup you cant pick up any pretty little hitchikers along the way .

Of course i guess they could always sit on your lap .
Hmmmmmm ....... maybe I do need a trailer.
My thoughts exactly!

Personally, I would like to tour without the trunk and have the trailer for the gear. This way, when I get to a stop, I can lock up the trailer and see the local sites with the Vision in "street" mode. It would be nice to find a trailer that works well with the Vision and includes multiple luggage pieces that will not only maximize the space, but make packing and unloading fairly easy.

One of my riding buddies did two weeks on the road with his Wife and they had enough room in the trailer (on his Goldwing) so they didn't have to do any laundry.

The good news for me is that I don't need to pack a hair dryer! Heck, I don't even need a brush!

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have never pulled trailer. A guy went to Sturgis with me in '01 and had one behind his V92C. It slowed us down. He is the kind that has to save a dollar on anything. He bought his from Canada and the seller forgot to send the paperwork with it and it took months to get it registered. They take away some of the fun you have with just a bike. We were on some twisties and later he said, I wish I didn't have a trailer on. :( We had packed the trailer with LOTS of stuff. Over the years I have learned I don't need all the stuff I thought I did. I carry enough clean clothes for 7 days. I wash at 5 days and have extra in case of rain or something.
I have thought about sending stuff to Sturgis by mail but haven't done it yet.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

I agree I think traveling with a trailer would be very limiting. It might be ok for a point A to point B trip but on longer trips you never know what kind of roads you will be on. The Border Patrol said they couldn't open the gate but if I could fit through the opening I could finish my ride to the border. The other roads would not have been as much fun with a trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.