VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts

I ordered the BushTec hitch and installed it myself some 7K miles ago. The install took memost of an entire weekend - they're not kidding about quoting 8 hours shop time for the install. Do not attempt this yourself w/o the Service Manual - I became quite intimate with the bikewhile stripping it to its core.
Been pulling a loaded Turbo+2 trailer tomore than a dozen ralliesaround the Texas area. I highly recommend this setup - cannot eventell thatthe trailer is behind me (except that panic stops require a little longer distance).
BushTec uses an enclosed doughnut ring for freedom of movement between the trailer and locking pin hitch; the tongue of the trailer can freely rotate about the axis of travel as well. Finally, the trailer has a patented independent A-frame suspension rather than a solid axle - guaranteed not to bounce.
The setup is expensive - but should last forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks as though a sharp turn in the parking lot/gas station ect...may end up getting the trailer tounge into the lower valence of the bike. The reciever of the "Bushtec system"doesnt look long enough. Maybe i'm wrong??

·
Registered
6 Posts

My father (Nepper) just installed the Hitch Doc on his ride and it went great.
He mentionned he found an alternate install method online that involves reaching down through the trunk as well as using the plastic access pannel under the seat.
This method is easiest with 2 people, but only takes a couple of hours to do.
He's on a cross country ride at the moment with his new trailer, so he'll have to offer a more elaborate response/details.
I know it's working just great for him though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the BushTec Trailer setup and can't say enough good things about it (the folks there are great to work with as well).

I had the dealer install it so I can't speak to how long it took them to put it on but they did an outstanding job. So far I have pulled the trailer about 5,000 miles on my Vision with no issues.

I am more careful than I was with my 2000 Gold Wing when I back up the trailer so I don't hit the lower valance. Reverse is a wonderful thing with the trailer since it forces you to backup up slowly.

The hitch has a removable tongue so you get the trim lines back when you are not pulling a trailer.

While the setup may cost more than most, you get what you pay for and to do twisty roads pulling a trailer and leaving others (without a trailer) in the dust is strangely satisfying (Deals Gap!).

But for the record Bushtec gets my vote.

Be warned, however, due to the way the Vision cuts the wind you will see a change in mileage when you are pulling a trailer at 75+ miles per hour. My Bustech has been pulled at over 100 MPH and you don't even know it is there, that is until you have to buy gas. My wife was on the back and the trailer was full and she had no idea we were going this fast, until she looked at my GPS ;o(.

·
Registered
814 Posts

I'm back.
I see my son answered while I was away on a road trip with my trailer in-tow.
We (my wife and I) were away for 10 days and travelled 4000 kilometers pulling my Gypsy Trailer (Scarab model) using the Hichdoc hitch. We travelled through Northern Ontario along the north shore of Lake Superior (lots of hills) then through the Prarie country and back.
As for the hitch. It performed beautifuly. I installed it myself in 1.5 to 2.0 hrs with my wife's help for a few minutes to start a nut while I held the hitchin place. Easy Peazy. The roads were hilly, winding in places, and not so smoothall the time and the hitch nevercaused me any concern. I haven't seethe Buschtech nor how it's mountedbut I'm sure it's a good hitch, however I saved a lot of money anda lot of grief during installation and I know I have a very good hitch that I don't have to worry about.
The trailer. Wow! I'm impressed, very impressed. It really matches the bike, in fact during our trip wewere asked many times if the bike and trailer were a factory set. I don't think there is a better match available. It carried all our gear and beleive me we didn't leave anythingbehind, next time we can cut our load down considerably.Unless you hit a bump you'd never think you were pulling a trailer, it doesn't affect bike handling at all. When the trailer wheels hit a bump you feel them of coarsebut this is just natural with any trailer on a bike or car. Wind had no affect on the trailer at all and it did getawfully windy riding along the north shore. The affect on gas milage wasnot severe however I did notice that driving in 5th not 6th and staying between 55 and 60 mph (100 - 110klph) gave me the best instant MPG- KPL read out. I still had excellent range andnever had to worry about the next fuel stopnor wereour refuel stops as frequent as some other bikes we shared the highway with. The shape of the trialer I'm sure hadeverything to do with it. We had well over 200 lbs of gear in the trailer and bounce was not an issue. The trailer has a full alluminium framewith independant torsion bar suspension. Backing the trailer up wasn't a problem, mind you I may have an advantage as I tow a boat with my truck quite a bit so I may have more experience than some. You do want to make sure that you don't jack-knife but that's just a given. The trailer is also equiped with a swivel hitch just incase you should drop the bike it won't put undue stress on the hitch and ball and I think every trailer should be equiped with one. Oh yes and it's water tight, I know this because it rained really, reallyhard on us 8 out of 10 days on the highway and our gear remained dry the whole time.
This reply is getting a bit long so I'll cut it off but if anyone wants to know anything about the rig I'llbe happy to reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I came across this old post while searching for a hitch for my bike. My husband has a Victory Vision, we just started the purchase process for a cargo trailer from Bushtec trailers. They have a trailer out that is a perfect style match for the Vision, the "Entourage". We are having it painted to match his midnight cherry bike. Bushtec also sells a hitch for the Vision. Now I'm looking for a hitch for my 2008 Kingpin Tour in case I need to pull the trailer.
You can check out all the trailers Bushtec has at http://www.bushtec.com/

·
Registered
126 Posts

Greetings All,
So here's the same old question with a bit of a flare! What hitches are now available for those that ride a Vision WITH ABS brakes? Does Hitch-Doc still make them for the Vision? What would the difference be for a hitch on a Vision with ABS? Are there any other hitch manufacturers other than Bush-tec and Hitch-Doc making hitches for the newer visions? Thanks everyone for the input!
VVVet
2008 VVTP
15000+ (s)miles
loaded

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, was looking for a hitch as I pull a Windward camper trailer. I pulled it with a Goldwing previously, but am anxious to get it behind my Vision. All of the posts were helpful as I believe I will order a HitchDoc. My understanding is that this hitch is hidden when the ball is not installed. Thanks for the tip on the wiring. 2008 Victor Vision Tour

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I have the Hitch Doc and it works and it is horizontal so that it does not show when not in use.... install is not difficult but you will have to order your wiring kit separate as they do not sell it, there are plenty out there to choose from so take ur pick.... good luck :scooter:

·
Banned
1,297 Posts

jgawin said:
Does anyone know if these Vision hitches will work on a 2011 Vision Arlen Ness Edition since the Ness edition is lower than the standard Vision?
which ever model u are considering just call that manufactor direct and ask, they will give u the direct scoop....

·
Registered
43 Posts

Does anyone have good instuctions on wiring lights for a trailer? I have a 2012 Cross Country Tour with a Bushtec hitch. I installed the hitch myself with very little difficulty but I haven't hauled the trailer I built because I haven't got the wiring done. Any information would be helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.