VOG Forum banner

Trade-In Value

4031 Views 33 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Salty
If anyone read my previous thread you will remember that I'm looking into a Cross Roads. One of the first things I always look into when I'm looking into a car, truck, or bike is the resale value. Since the only thing that I can compare to directly is the Vision versus the Ultra Classic or the Cross Roads versus the Road King. The only problem I can see with this comparison is the number of years that both bike have been around, but then again Victory itself hasn't been around all that long.

Anyway, I went to NADA and KBB and I noticed that the Vision and Cross Roads hold a $2000 disparity across the board with their H-D counterparts. I am sold that Victory is everything that H-D isn't. Victory has already shown the ability to beat H--D in technology (cast aluminum frame), customer appreciation (listening to what their customers want), and price (do I need to explain this).

Here is my question since I don't know much about many of the older bikes in the Victory line and how they compare to some older H-D models. Is this $2000 disparity just an effect of the newness of the said models or is this something that has shown itself over the entirety of the last 10 years?

Sorry that took so long but I want to makes sure that people realize I did go and do the homework first. I just need some help on the history.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts

The idea of Motorcycles as investments seemed to take hold with the Yuppies and folks with excess disposable income in the early 80s around the time Willy and the boys got HD back from AMF and really pushed the reliability of the Evo engine.
Oddly, from a market perspective, it was AMFs mismanagement and poor sales that made the older, shovels, knucks, and pans marketable. Thereby forcing an inflated value on older HD products.
After that good marketing seemed to keep demand, and therefore value up.
However, my life long approach to these contraptions has been; Buy the most bike you can reasonably afford, dress it up like you love it, ride it like you stole it, and when you're done - don't make it too hard for the next guy to get a hold of it.
As far as XC vs Street-Glide, it's a complex algorithm to figure out real re-sale value, because my experience is, the cost of ownership with HD is very high if you intend to put a lot of miles on the bike.
Good luck with your purchase!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.