VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone read my previous thread you will remember that I'm looking into a Cross Roads. One of the first things I always look into when I'm looking into a car, truck, or bike is the resale value. Since the only thing that I can compare to directly is the Vision versus the Ultra Classic or the Cross Roads versus the Road King. The only problem I can see with this comparison is the number of years that both bike have been around, but then again Victory itself hasn't been around all that long.

Anyway, I went to NADA and KBB and I noticed that the Vision and Cross Roads hold a $2000 disparity across the board with their H-D counterparts. I am sold that Victory is everything that H-D isn't. Victory has already shown the ability to beat H--D in technology (cast aluminum frame), customer appreciation (listening to what their customers want), and price (do I need to explain this).

Here is my question since I don't know much about many of the older bikes in the Victory line and how they compare to some older H-D models. Is this $2000 disparity just an effect of the newness of the said models or is this something that has shown itself over the entirety of the last 10 years?

Sorry that took so long but I want to makes sure that people realize I did go and do the homework first. I just need some help on the history.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Demand for pre-owned HD, especially touring models, is a big reason.

Having just traded my '06 Road King a couple of weeks ago, one bit of satisfaction I got from that bike was getting almost KBB retail price on trade in.

HD continues to basically put out the same machines year after year, with the only thing changing being color and price. With the high price of new bikes, more people are looking for low mileage pre-owned units. A lot of existing HD owners who have 3 or 4 yr old bikes, looking to trade up, are not happy with the new models, and seem to be hanging on to what they have. 2011's all have cat converters, not just the Calif bikes, resulting in even more heat coming off the engine. The newer motors don't have the same "sound" as earlier models.

1st time HD owners are opting for pre-owned due to the lower, (while still pricey) cost savings. Not just the price of the bike, but in property taxes and insurance.

The shirt says..."if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". Having been there and done that, my take on the phrase is, "it doesn't make sense".

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Iceman, not the answer you are looking for but you can take resale values and throw them in the ocean right about now. What everyone thinks their bikes are worth and what they are going for on the open market have never been further apart.....and that is regardless of whether it is an H-D or Victory.

H-D always seemed to hold their values better than anything else but that is changing rapidly as their not replacing the older customers and the used bikes are flooding the market in this economy at deeper discounts than ever before. Victory used to get good resale value but that has also dropped significantly in the last 24 months as they came out with newer and more modern bikes, coupled with DEEP discounts and incentives that dropped the values of the bikes on the open market. People used to think Motorcycles were an investment....they were insanely wrong.

Bottom line, If you buy a bike today you need to try and estimate what the resale value will be in 4-5 years (if you are planning on trading in in that time), and the one thing we know is that what USED to be true 4-5 years ago is nowhere near being accurate today.....so how can we guess where the market will be in the future?

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
I think you will see Vic's resale value getting better. With the introduction of the new models and the lowering of MSRP on allot of models (bringing them down to a more realistic price) the resale value took a big hit. Now that the pricing is stablized you will probably see the same percentage difference between HD and Vic. HD may still be a little better but the gap will close.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts

The idea of Motorcycles as investments seemed to take hold with the Yuppies and folks with excess disposable income in the early 80s around the time Willy and the boys got HD back from AMF and really pushed the reliability of the Evo engine.
Oddly, from a market perspective, it was AMFs mismanagement and poor sales that made the older, shovels, knucks, and pans marketable. Thereby forcing an inflated value on older HD products.
After that good marketing seemed to keep demand, and therefore value up.
However, my life long approach to these contraptions has been; Buy the most bike you can reasonably afford, dress it up like you love it, ride it like you stole it, and when you're done - don't make it too hard for the next guy to get a hold of it.
As far as XC vs Street-Glide, it's a complex algorithm to figure out real re-sale value, because my experience is, the cost of ownership with HD is very high if you intend to put a lot of miles on the bike.
Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Who cares about RESALE value...I buy a motorcycle or truck (in my case) for the application and use of it...Not for re-sale value...I'll use it till the tires fall off or the motor blows...Then I'll buy another one!

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

joeschmoe said:
Who cares about RESALE value...
Joe,
Let's start by saying I agree with you, to me residual value on arecreational vehicleis meaningless. But to allot of people it is very meaningful. Resale value gives you an outlook on how the company is doing as a whole. Ford has a better resale value then GM, we know where that went. No I am not saying Victory is going that route. Whatever we say or think, it is a fact that a major part of a buying decision for allot of consumers is resale value. In my case I talk with my dealer the other day about trading my 8-Ball. It is about 3 months old less then 1000 miles, I paid below MSRP OTD and I will still be taking a $4,000.00 hit. That's a huge hit almost 35% or so.
I will say, you get it and quite a few others above. A motorcycle should not be looked at as an investment and we should keep them until the wheels fall off but to a largeportion of the population that trades bikes every couple of years looking at the resale value has merit.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I have a 3 year old jeep I would take a bath on if I sold it today .I would take a bath on my 09 pin to if I sold today . Whats the absalute pleasure of owning a classic motercycle worth? I get my money back every time I ride now thats an investment . I am not going to last for ever, I guess it's all in how you look at your life and life style.
Ive spent money in worst ways!But im not saying here what I did with it!!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

Adding to the older resale "value" of HD was the simple fact that several years ago people were paying over msrp for the "privlege" of owning one. And don't forget that most dealers already had an extra 1-2k of extras on bikes before they were placed on the floor for sale.Anyone having shelled out that extra $ was expecting to get it back when selling and there was a long line of those willing to pay it.
This is America where everyone wants to buy low and sell high. Trying to get a firm grip on resale value several years down the line may be a lot like throwing darts in this, what we call "economy".
KBB shows trade in value of my 08 KP Premium at $9100. That's minimum of 8-9k hit over 2 years. I'll keep it, thank you. While I like some of the new features and improvements on the '11s and the X bikes, there is no way I absolutely have to have the newest, latest and greatest. My KP gets me where I want to go just the same.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
It seems that these days, the original purchaser of a new bike will take the big hit when it comes time to sell it. We already know that the addition of various accessories adds little value to the bike.

The buyer of the used bike will retain a higher percentage of the resale of the bike when it comes time to turn it over to the third owner.

Just my observation.

So, does that mean to only buy used bikes?

If you're looking mainly at resale value, the answer could be yes.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Andy said:
It seems that these days, the original purchaser of a new bike will take the big hit when it comes time to sell it. We already know that the addition of various accessories adds little value to the bike.

The buyer of the used bike will retain a higher percentage of the resale of the bike when it comes time to turn it over to the third owner.

Just my observation.

So, does that mean to only buy used bikes?

If you're looking mainly at resale value, the answer could be yes.
You hit the nail square on the head on that one Andy. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Motorcycles are just like cars, trucks, boats, ATVs.....etc. They are "Depreciating assets".

Show me a 2010 model car that doesn't plummet the second you drive it off the dealer's lot. Doesn't matter whether it is a Taurus, a C1500, a Corvette, a Mercedes......they all depreciate. The very best cars in holding their resale value will still depreciate 30% the moment you drive them off the lot and those same great vehicles will only hold 52-60% of their value after 3 years.

......and we're somehow AMAZED that bikes are beginning to do the exact same thing. Again, H-D was truly successful in making everyone a complete idiot from the late 80's on.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
if you'd look at a lot of things we enjoy doing from a financial perspective there's never a good return. However if you look at it from a enjoyment perspective there's usually an excellent return.

Buying used is best for the bottom dollar. I bought the 5 year extended on this bike knowing that in a few short years I'd have a lot of miles on it compared to other bikes. However I'll sell it before the warranty expires giving the new owner a sense of protection.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Well I change bikes every other year, sometimes sooner! LOL
CAse in point I have struck a deal to get a 2011 XC as my vision is more then I need as my wife is now riding her own KP8BAll we bought this summer now ending.
Originally when she thought she was done riding her own I bought the Vision for all the comfort we could need 2 UP.
Well we still ride 2 UP but not like we ould with only 1 bike.
I was going to sell it outright but dealer was within 1K of what I wanted so, hell I did the deal
Don;t worry about resale, especially if you keep the bike more then a couple of years. Dont worry about HD either, it's not the bench mark it use to be.
My wife wants to get me a personal plate for this XC... LAST1

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nessie044 said:
We all know that money talks and B.S. walks, but I will tell you this. There are some things that transcend the monetary, and disparities in resale values notwithstanding, I've already gotten my two thousand dollars' worth of pure motorcycling joy out of Nessie (and then some).
At this rate, she'll be "paid off" by the time I put 5K miles on the clock.
Take good care of her and buy lots of bling. I'll be looking for a good used Vision in a couple of years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

WOW!!!!!!! I really didn't anticipate this much responce to my very simple (or so I thought) question.
I guess when it comes down to it I probably need to exercise some of my own demons before I purchase my next bike. I just began riding again in '08 and I've owned 4 MC since then (my wife loves to bring that up in arguements). When I did the Street Glide thing in May of '09 (why I still don't completely understand, I blame it on the wife) I had it for about 6 months and realized that I would never get the radio (main reason I bought a fairing bike) to sound as good as the one on my buddy's Wing (now that I have my iPhone and a very good set of headphones, it will be tough to get me on a fairing bike). When I realized that I over compensatedmy budgetand needed to sell, I was very fortunate to get back everything I had in the bike, minus taxes. I returned to a bike that I'm familiar with (VTX 1300).
I am very happy with the bike but it just doesn't have enough storage room on it (something I loved about my SG). I really would ride it everyday if I didn't have to worry about picking stuff up while I'm in town (I live in the STICKS!!!!!!) or taking the kid to daycare (don't think any bike will satisfy that, only age of said daughter). The last thing I don't like about my VTX is there really isn't a good place to put your feet on long rides. I'm not a personal fan of crash bars on the front of bikes (to each his own) and so when I did my Iron Butt in July my knees took a BEATING. If I would have done the IB on a Cross Roads, I would have probably been up for another one the next day. I truely enjoy riding and the people involved on the trip. Even when I had my SG I could never get my feet comfortable. The one test ride I did (literally around the block) on the CR I found multiple foot placements (even lost the shifter for a second) and think that the CR could be my end all bike (but I thought that about my SG too).
So back to my previous thought of exercising my own deamons. When I do finally find my end all bike, resale will never be an issue. I just thought I had found it a couple times already and was wrong. So I guess fear could be my motivating factor when it comes to looking at resale values.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I would not count on motorcycle resale on ANY brand of bike. In a bad economy the market gets saturated with used bikes an used bike financing sucks with high rates and low loan to blue book values.

Trust me I took it in the a$$ when I traded my Kingpin after 1 year.

I look at bikes as being a luxury item if I decide to spend my money on one.

·
Registered
714 Posts

ZZedmonds said:
I would not count on motorcycle resale on ANY brand of bike. In a bad economy the market gets saturated with used bikes an used bike financing sucks with high rates and low loan to blue book values.

Trust me I took it in the a$$ when I traded my Kingpin after 1 year.

I look at bikes as being a luxury item if I decide to spend my money on one.
You had a slick tricked-out Pin, who bought it??? Show some pix. You made a choice for the latest and greatest. :)
I am counting you guys like you for my next Vic. =)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.