VOG Forum banner

TPMS should be mandatory

2739 11
I 've been using the SmarTireTire Pressure Monitoring System (tpms)since day one on my bike. It provides both pressure and temperature readings for the tires (pressure is temperature compensated), with separate warnings at 15% and 25% pressure loss as well as overtemp (185degF). Being that I mainly ride two-up pulling a "stuffed" BushTec trailer, the overtemp alarm has been very valuable - warning me of this condition while traversing the interstates at 80mphduring the Summer heat. The tire temperature will drop again once I slow down to around 60mph for about 10 minutes or so. A press of the display button will give me instantaneous readings of both pressure and temperature for each of the tires. I run 40psi in both front and rear factory Dunlop E3 tires. My dealer will invariably drop the tire pressure to 36psi upon each service; a quick read of my display and I know that I need to add air again. Anytime the tires feel "squirrely", all I have to do is push my display button to be reassured that the tires are fine.
This past Sunday, I experienced the pressure loss alarm for the first time. We were running 80mph two-up pulling the trailerabout 20 miles from home when the alarm started flashing - first showing -8psi on rear tire. Note that I felt zero difference in the handling of the bike. I immediately backed off the throttle, turned on my hazards,and started moving toward the sholder.I watched with amazement at how fast the pressure dropped in the rear tire (still didn't feel anything different). Another 100 yds and I safely exited the interstate. By the time I made the right turn at theend of the rampto pull into the adjacent gas station, the rear tire only had4psi. I came very close to dropping the bike while making the turn (I believe that the trailer actually helped tominimize the swing of the rear end). We called a friend with abike to trailer to come and rescue us.
The tpms system quite literally may have saved our life - for it scaresme to think of what might have happened while running that fast with no awareness of the pressure loss until the tire was almost flat. I really do not understand why bikes are not REQUIRED to have a tpms.
Unfortunately, the dealer broke my sensor during the tire change. The SmarTiresystem for motorcycles ceased production back in 2006, and there are no longer any replacement parts within North America (per Vulcan Tire). So, the dealer isreplacing my system (for free)with the Doran 360M.This system does not prove tire temperature sensing, so I guess I'm finally going to get around to figuring out how to provide some RAM airflow to the rear tire.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

I agree, it should be on any of these big bikes. When I went to Gainesville with Darren he had a flat. We dont know how long it was flat but he didnt notice until we pulled over to look at a map. Talking with KevinX over some pork chops he told us of several instances that people pulled in with flats on a Vision without even knowing.
I installed the Doran on my bike and love it.

·
Registered
329 Posts

our rights
REQUIRED= -------------
lawyers + politicians

Bad formula.

However, I do agree that the systems could save lives. It's a safety issue. The unsafe riders eventually disappear via natural selection.

BTW, I use the cheaper version of TPMS. Purchased the LED low pressure valve cap indicators. Only problem, I might not see the flashing lights while riding during the day. Perhaps the Doran is a better idea.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I agree that it is an invaluable product, but I don't like things being "mandatory". I do wish Victory would add this as a dealer installedoption.....I bet they would move quite a few of these products.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I am totally for TPMS and there has historically been a lot of chatter about them. I've included a link below for anyone that may be interested. I don't agree that having them mandated is the way to go, but I really would like to see the manufacturers put them on as standard form many big touring rides. I have seen threads on here where bikes have been "dumped" at speed because of no real reason and I have always thought about their tire pressures. Having a TP monitoring system that would warn you to "get off the road now" is invaluable and would safe a lot of accidents and consequently lives. I HATE checking the TP on the rear tire of my 08 Vision yet I do it because I've also ridden on one that was holding a meager 20 lbs and didn't notice a thing at all with 2 up. That's scary! Do I have the Doran yet.....it's on my list!!
http://thevog.net/forums/display_search/id_TPMS/
VVVet

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

If dealers would make testimonials like yours available and not try to retire (no pun intended) on the sale and installation of these possible life saving accesories maybe more people would open their wallets and their minds to the need for them on larger bikes. I will mention that a friend of mine on a Honda 1800, riding solo had his rear tire go down at about 45 mph and he had all he could do to get it off the road safely.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
My two cents:

Understanding that the prices of OEM tire pressure monitor systems have fallen over the past few years, and "assuming" that it would me very cost efficient to add the sensors during the manufacturing/assembly process, it seems that it would be a real no-brainer for Victory and other manufacturers to make these devices standard equipment.

Also factor in that much of the Victory lineup already has an LCD, it makes even more sense.

Then add to the equation that not all riders are diligent about checking the tire pressure and I'm a bit miffed that the MIC, MSF or other organizations have not pushed the manufacturers to add TPMS as standard equipment.

I won't even mention the fact that checking the Vision's rear tire pressure is a real pain. While a TPMS is not a replacement for checking the tire pressure, it is a way to alert the rider of a potentially unsafe situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
at what point do we become so dependent on electronic crap that we no longer think for ourselves tpms devices on automobiles a very prone to failure and notoriously inaccurate the valve stems often snap off when checking tire pressure please don't ask for anything to be mandated if you want it buy it for you but please keep the government away from my bike and let me enjoy what little freedom we have left

·
Registered
127 Posts
dsjr70 said:
I agree, it should be on any of these big bikes. When I went to Gainesville with Darren he had a flat. We dont know how long it was flat but he didnt notice until we pulled over to look at a map. Talking with KevinX over some pork chops he told us of several instances that people pulled in with flats on a Vision without even knowing.
I installed the Doran on my bike and love it.
Don i think i actually hit a nail while we were pulling into the gas station because i felt an immediate change in my driving. I do want to get the Doran on my bike. How much are they and where is the best place to get them.

BTW, don, are you still celebrating or are you recovering?????

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts

Yup, I'm with what seems to be the general concensus;
TPMS as Standard Equipment on all Victory Touring Bikes, but not Government mandated.
Thanks for the photo posts BTW Charbin.
The Batman theme works well with this bike! I get accused of Riding Batman's Bike by my wife's family all the time. Plus look at my dog's head; it's a combination of a batman mask and a gorilla.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.