VOG Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all,
do you have a temperature difference between the front tire and the rear tire!?
I had never paid attention, but there is a 9°c difference after having done 300 km View attachment 594497
I do as well and just determined it to the rear wheel is being washed by engine heat and proximity to radiating heat from exhaust.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The rear will run hotter than the front due to all the weight being put on the rear wheel

Reactions: MacDony

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The rear will also run hotter because it is putting down the power, i.e., being flexed as it drives against the road surface.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Don't think that the temperature displayed on your TPMS has much to do with the actual tire temperature.

A couple cold mornings I've rolled out of my 60° garage into freezing outside temperatures and watched the temperature fall while the pressures increased.
Tire Font Vehicle Motorcycle Screenshot

The rear tire was up to 37 at the 1st stop sign 1 mile out. At 5 miles it was 38lbs at 40°.

By the time I got to work this is what it looked like, I think it was 47° on the dash at the time.
Tire Font Screenshot Technology Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Front tire also getting a lot more air to cool so that might be contributing.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Don't think that the temperature displayed on your TPMS has much to do with the actual tire temperature.
I asked Tony from sykik for clarity on that and he informed me the monitors reading is the temperature of the air inside the tire and not the tires carcass temperature. It's pretty cool seeing how front & rears are effected, normal riding fronts usually 2-7 degrees warmer than ambient while rear typically runs 10-20 degrees above ambient outside temperature. When pushing hard on extra curvy / hilly roads front'll gain 8-12 while rear has been 25 above outside ambient temp. The roads surface temp plays a huge role as well, never push a cold tire, esp the front

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I asked Tony from sykik for clarity on that and he informed me the monitors reading is the temperature of the air inside the tire and not the tires carcass temperature. It's pretty cool seeing how front & rears are effected, normal riding fronts usually 2-7 degrees warmer than ambient while rear typically runs 10-20 degrees above ambient outside temperature. When pushing hard on extra curvy / hilly roads front'll gain 8-12 while rear has been 25 above outside ambient temp. The roads surface temp plays a huge role as well, never push a cold tire, esp the front
Same sort of thing I have experienced.

On my former XCT, I had a Doran TPMS setup (absolutely no longer recommended), and I used to cycle through its display after a ride, just out of curiosity, to see the tire pressures right after parking the bike in the garage.

And on my current fire-breathing 650 Burgman scooter, with the original version of the FOBO TPMS (heartily recommended), I often take a screen grab of the FOBO app after a ride ... again, just out of curiosity.

Here's one such shot from last August, after finishing a day trip:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

You can see my preferred starting-out, i.e., "cold," pressures, 36/40 front/rear; I don't get completely anal about those, but I keep things close. And, in terms of the gist of the thread here, you can see that the putting-the-power-down-to-the-road rear is significantly hotter than the front, and has its pressure boosted more than the front's.

I have a bunch of such screen grabs, as I just like to keep tabs on the tires (and with the FOBO, all it takes is a single click on the phone screen).

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Been using this trike system for 15 months and 28 ish thousand miles and am very pleased with this system. I am still on the same tire sensor batteries it came with, although, I just replaced the shock sensor battery ( all three sensors use the same cr1225 size of 3volt battery ) This product and the customer service from Sykik has been fantastic, they also sell motorcycle specific camera systems.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts