VOG Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Look at @Bikesofbrads top pic in the post from Sunday at 9:01 PM. On the back side of the display unit are the female threads for a standard 1/4-20 screw (the type found on that RAM ball-with-screw I cited).

At least I think this is the situation.
I see it now.
Correct on the mount option. I saw a few that can use that on Amazon too.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Thanks for the info on Sykik. I ordered the 2 wheel kit. Will be trailering the bikes to NC next month. Will put them on the trailer while traveling, then on the XCT the rest of the time. Will report back on these after the trip. Will be interested to see if the display unit can broadcast from the trailer to the cab of the Taco...

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Update!!!!! For anyone wondering how long the monitors battery lasts before needing recharged the answer is ( for us ) was 17 days or about 2500 miles. I NEVER turn it off & always let it “time out” and shut itself off after the 5-7 minutes of non-movement. The sykik trike kits working wonderfully, is a gigantic peace of mind knowing my pressures ( & internal tire airs temps ) esp on those weird pavement spots that feel similar to a low tire. The shock sensor is handy before ur ride, while steadily going down flat ish stretches of road & after you stop but obviously it changes during bumps or anytime the rear shock moves through it’s stroke. Overall is a nice system that’s hard to beat & for $90 usd it’s good value

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Greetings,

Mine have arrived, easy to install and configure alert ranges. Will report back after putting some miles on them. Two wheel kit, not the three wheel.
Display for TEMP might be easier since only two tires to ... display.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Mine did a great job alerting me Tues, saw the flashing, glanced ( was a decent bump & shock flashes we we’re also close to 1400 lbs at that moment ) felt it through a wiggle, looked back to monitor & watched it drop steadily 5-9 lbs, felt bike drop while getting safely in good spot off the road till zero.......all good now with new Metz 888 & $505 poorer for 1 rear tire, $250 for wheel removal / install

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
( I run 36-38 rear, 35 front & 50-65 shock ) I
I'm thinking you should consider running the max pressure, especially considering the ring of cords in your dead tire.

PSI needs to be adjusted for gross weight plus riding style. It sounds like the bead of the wheel wore through your tire, due to under inflation for static weight, plus g-load.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Follow up - After more than a month of having Sykik SRTP300 on the XCT, the official thumbs up is being given. The Sykik 2 wheel kit has worked as advertised.
The battery lasts a few (3+) weeks before warning about being low. The pressure display is easy to read, without my glasses while moving. The temp display is too small without glasses, but with glasses is easy enough to read while moving.
If you have doubts about the readout, resetting is as easy unscrewing a cap, watching the display blink red, then re-tightening the cap.
Short version: Yes, I would buy again.

SRTP300 Mounted Tire Pressure Monitor

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
@Pauljp I roll my bike backwards / forwards a few feet to wake the wheel sensors it doesn't take much to wake the monitor ( bumping the handlebars or opening the trunk will wake it ) but for the tire sensors the bike must be moved a few feet ( I think 7ft ). I charged my monitor for the 4th time yesterday during our ride (can use unit while charges) since 31, July 21 which equals about 12 k miles. I never turn my unit off, I always allow it to auto shut off when no movement is detected. I will say after many miles, a couple full months, rain / shine, warm & cold temps, the unit is a sound choice, it works very well, you can see the screen during full sun, the pressures very easily the temps take some eyeball focus ( smaller numbers ) but the temps become more easily seen at night. The screen has 3 brightness options ( I leave it on the brightest all the time ) The only downside is the rear shocks sensor will alert over big bumps as it's compressing & rebounding ( it's a lil annoying but not a dealbreaker because its so handy knowing my shocks pressure before and during the ride. I would buy this system again. It's really a great data tool, most don't realize how much pressure a tire gains as it heats up, the ambient temp & road surface temps, the load on bike all play major roles.

Reactions: TwoManyXS1Bs

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Question: Are you able to see the current tire pressure before you leave for your ride, or do the tires have to be spinning to activate the sensors.
As @Bikesofbrads stated. The display will wake up when you jostle the bike. It will display pressures, however, moving the bike a few feet refreshes the numbers. I believe you are asking if the numbers, pre-moving, are accurate enough to know if you are ready to go. I would say 'yes'. Usually a pound or two of change. I.E. Have seen it initially indicate 42 PSI, then after moving drop to 40.
I have tried turning mine off between rides. (Press and hold for 6 seconds), then on before the ride. The observation is this did NOT help with the initial accuracy. It still changed by a pound or two after first starting to roll.
Hopefully the above helps...

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
An additional note is that I’ve recharged the monitor 3-4 times in two months 10-15 k miles the batteries in the sensor’s on the wheels are still the original round watch style batteries. Say you rode last week, tomorrow morning you touch the bike ( without rolling the wheels at all) the readings will be from your last ride as that was the pressures when the system went to sleep, ( slightest bump will wake the monitor but not the wheel sensors, they require the wheel to move a few feet to wake up ) rolling the bike a few feet will wake up the wheel sensors ( usually about 3-7 foot any direction forward or backwards) after rolling the bike your current cold pressures are shown. ( you’ll know because the temperatures change ) I set my front to 38, rear at 40psi cold at 65-73 degrees F & I’ve found my front tire will get to 41-45 psi & the rear will climb to 45-55 psi on a 90 degree F day. Having the information from the tpms is extremely valuable for prolonging tire life, ensuring safety for us the rider & damn sure is better than crawling on the floor every time to check your pressures. Everyone’s had that moment riding down the road when you think your tire feels low, it’s very stress relieving when at a glance you know it’s not.

Reactions: BrotherWind

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ask away @Pauljp, I've learned A LOT from your content so am thrilled to repay the favor. I've never thought about the shocks waking but I sit on my bike using my legs to paddle the bike forward/ backwards so it wakes at same time the wheel sensors do, it's possible that pushing down on the seat a few times will wake the shocks sensor, I'll test that theory soon as I'm about to ride the bike to work so will update that point this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ask away @Pauljp, I've learned A LOT from your content so am thrilled to repay the favor. I've never thought about the shocks waking but I sit on my bike using my legs to paddle the bike forward/ backwards so it wakes at same time the wheel sensors do, it's possible that pushing down on the seat a few times will wake the shocks sensor, I'll test that theory soon as I'm about to ride the bike to work so will update that point this afternoon.
I was wondering if getting on the bike and standing it up will wake the shock sensor, but if it did then it should also wake the wheel sensors.

Or perhaps once the monitor sees one sensor then it will wake all of them. To test this before rolling your bike, try turning your bars left and right quickly to see if it wakes the front wheel sensor. Then take note if the other sensors wake up.

I find this very interesting. Thanks for any info that you can give me.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
@Pauljp Jiggling the bars does not wake the rear wheel or the shock sensor, oddly the front wheel wakes after about 10 wiggles though. Since my bike lives inside my basement I'll roll it back and forth a lil bit ( while sitting on bike ) and all 3 wake within 5 ft.

Reactions: BrotherWind

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
@Pauljp Jiggling the bars does not wake the rear wheel or the shock sensor, oddly the front wheel wakes after about 10 wiggles though. Since my bike lives inside my basement I'll roll it back and forth a lil bit ( while sitting on bike ) and all 3 wake within 5 ft.
Thanks for doing this. That is very interesting on how the sensors work in conjunction with the display. I appreciate you testing this for me.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
appreciate you testing this for me.
Glad can help, is thousands of people that appreciate your testings of things for us so we'll call it even hahahaha

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Aftermarket TPMS, whether they show the values on a handlebar screen or thru audio notifications on the bike's sound system or via helmet speakers thru Bluetooth (while showing it on a smartphone screen as Fobo does), every bike should have them on. It's surprising to me that I'm the only one of the members in our m/c chapter that has purchased TPMS, except for a few that have them on their new bikes, even though in 2017 a previous member suffered a slow rear tire leak that caused the tire to disintegrate at about 60 mph throwing him off the bike and hitting the asphalt with his helmetless head. He lived but is incommunicado and an invalid now. I guess everyone without TPMS kicks their rear tire to check for hardness then rides. A meager few lie on a garage floor and check them. It's 2021, time to get with technology people!

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Just an update folks, the sykik trike kits working very well after roughly 8-9 k miles, I’ve only had to charge the monitor a total of 3 times and I never turn it off, I always let it auto shut off. The shock and wheel sensors are still the original ones that came with the $89 usd delivered unit. The monitor will wake up if you bump the handlebars, open the saddlebags or trunk BUT the wheel sensors will still read pressures from last time wheels rolled!!!! To get updated psi’s ( after parking for longer than 10 minutes) all it takes is rolling the bike about 3 feet forward / backwards. The tech support is truly top notch, “Toni” was fantastic EVERY ( the 3 times I emailed and 1 phone call ) answered questions quickly, called me back when was having trouble setting up the unit ( my technical stupidity was to blame ) and stayed on the phone with me for 35 minutes until I completely understood how to operate ALL the units functions and was completely set up and ready to ride. A great option

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Rectangle Font Handwriting Number Paper product
^^^^^ Just to clarify, I have not had to replace the wheels / shock sensors batteries as of yet after about 8500-9000 k miles and 3.75 months, I have recharged the monitor 3 times ( 1 at purchase time and twice since, I never power it down manually just let it auto shut off. Upon @md2420 suggestion I have switched sensor locations to front is #2 shock is #1 & bikes rear tire is #3 so it's orientated like when sitting on the bike & I'm still shickled titless

61 - 80 of 92 Posts