VOG Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Wonder if it would be better to have your tires the two trike rears (since they are similar) and the shock the "front" since it is vastly different. That way, your alarm could be set closer to what pressure you actually run and could be an earlier warning sign if anything g happens.
I will switch sensor 1 to shock, 2 will be front tire & 3 will be rear tire. Biggest issue so far is because high pressure alarm setting maxes out @ 99psi ( I think but am working on solution ) so as your riding and the rear shock compresses / rebounds the psi changes which set off the alarm so with every big bump the monitor will flash letting you know the psi changed ( is pretty constant changing with an air shock ) the audible alarm is present but you can't hear it unless the bikes off, no helmet & is zero background noise, the screen flashes from regular blue to red grabbing your attention without hearing the beeps if goes beyond 99psi ( my set perimeter) Am still very pleased with system. I noticed riding into work just now that while solo the shocks sensor will flash as pressure changes with every compression / rebound of suspension stroke but solo it doesn't exceed the 99 psi perimeter so doesn't flash red, it still will flash alerting you that the pressure has changed. My 2 days worth of hind site is to only buy the 2 sensor system, you'll immediately feel the difference if the rear shock suddenly looses air pressure ( is also unneeded if you have a Penske ). A third sensor on the shock is only good for reading the preflight psi & is pretty much useless while moving on anything other than glass smooth surfaces esp if your 2 up & loaded dwn.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
As of now I have my front tire same as trike icons front tire with rear as left rear & shock as right rear tire, I’m goin to switch so my front tire is the trike icons left rear, my rear is trike icons right rear & the shock will become the trike icons front tire. If you zoom in & can read my abbreviated chicken scratch writing the top pics my current setting & bottom will be my new tire placement. Is a work in progress

Attachments

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I will switch sensor 1 to shock, 2 will be front tire & 3 will be rear tire. Biggest issue so far is because high pressure alarm setting maxes out @ 99psi ( I think but am working on solution ) so as your riding and the rear shock compresses / rebounds the psi changes which set off the alarm so with every big bump the monitor will flash letting you know the psi changed ( is pretty constant changing with an air shock ) the audible alarm is present but you can't hear it unless the bikes off, no helmet & is zero background noise, the screen flashes from regular blue to red grabbing your attention without hearing the beeps if goes beyond 99psi ( my set perimeter) Am still very pleased with system. I noticed riding into work just now that while solo the shocks sensor will flash as pressure changes with every compression / rebound of suspension stroke but solo it doesn't exceed the 99 psi perimeter so doesn't flash red, it still will flash alerting you that the pressure has changed. My 2 days worth of hind site is to only buy the 2 sensor system, you'll immediately feel the difference if the rear shock suddenly looses air pressure ( is also unneeded if you have a Penske ). A third sensor on the shock is only good for reading the preflight psi & is pretty much useless while moving on anything other than glass smooth surfaces esp if your 2 up & loaded dwn.
Will they work with 90 degree valves. I find them easier, particularly on Vision, to use
over standard erect ones. Haha. Just curious?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Will they work with 90 degree valves
From what I can see from "product in my hand" yes can use with 90 degree valve stems. Can ask any question on the sykik website & will quickly be answered, they really are fantastic about responding, Tony actually called me within 5 min of my email asking for help setting up my unit. I was pleasantly surprised to have found metal valve stems already on my bike, the sensor also fits under the side cover without modifications or hassles

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That's very informative, your experience with the Sykik on the shock.

Is there a way you can set up the system so that it "forgets" that the shock sensor is part of the system (for normal riding), and only knows about that third sensor on those infrequent occasions when you want to see what the shock's pressure is (presumably, in a garage, or otherwise not moving)?

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not sure about ability to pause a sensor but honestly it’s not that bad unless are on really bumpy stuff. Whenever the pressure changes ( in the shock as it’s moving through its stroke or up & down ) by 10 ish lbs or so it’ll alert you by flashing the psi number so your aware the pressure changed ie it’s supposed to but it’s really designed for a more consistent tire & not a constantly moving air shock..... duh right ( maybe I’m nit picking & expecting more from the product than it was designed for ). On compression it’ll just flash the blue but on fast rebound it’ll detect psi lose & alternate between flashing blue & red with lil icon of pressure lose. Seriously ,it’s really not that annoying but is something to consider. You can NOT hear the alarm ( blue tooth models you can but I’d turn audible alert off or would drive your a$$ crazy) You can adjust high pressure up to 99 psi but on a really good bounce 2 up loaded pretty heavy with groceries the psi on compression stroke was observed pegging the 99 readable ( 2 digit digital readouts per tire ) screen but the screen / sensor quickly rebounds to correct current shock reading ( add 5- 15 psi when you sit on it ) as you continue riding & the rear shock readout will blink for lil bit but like I said it’s really not terrible. Can set highs to max 99 lows 0 but all three sensors share the same maximum temperature alarm so can not set each tire to alarm at different temperatures but us mere mortal street riding guys will never overheat out tires to that extent. Pros, cons, plus a learning curve. I’ll update the more I dial it in but it’s does exactly what it’s supposed to do and is doing it well......esp for $90

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Holy hell, after reading my last couple posts I’ve realized how over complicated my explanation became. I’ll take a short video of the sykik’s monitor / screen this afternoon and that’ll make it much easier to understand and you’ll see the system in action. I’ll try to show it when riding solo & again when 2 up.

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I've realized how over complicated my explanation became.
Hogwash. You painted a rather complete picture of how it functions.

Much better than just saying, it works great guys, go ahead and order your own.

Your last, complete, informative review would be great to forward to the co. It may show them that there is a need for a specific 3 piece unit for our application?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Good review. People can decide if they want to deal with the limitations by going with the trike version or just getting the two wheel version.

I like the battery idea bring in house occasionally to charge it up then back on the bike.

What does the back of sensor look like?
How does it mount?

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Hand Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cameras & optics
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
What does the back of sensor look like?
How does it mount?
Screen Screws dwn on and has wheel nut that screw up to lock it in place onto normal round style handlebar mount, the included handlebar mount might fit 1.5 in bars max. The 3 sensors are almost exactly the size of an american dime or your thumbnail. I can't figure out how to load a short video showing how the shock sensor flashes off big bumps or when you get off bike, anytime the shock rebounds so pressure drops setting off the pressure lose alarm

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh so the center part screws into the base?

I was hoping for something like ram ball mount.
Bike has plenty of ram balls.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well **** I never thought I would have to go measure balls.

Thanks for the info.
I have the Phatt 1.5 inch bars so not sure if the included mount would work or if I'd have to get creative. Strong 3M tape and a plate with ram mount would probably be fine.

• Haha

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well **** I never thought I would have to go measure balls.
I thought the same thing as was doing it, I had to remove the 2nd rubber inner liner from the mount and just wrapped handlebar few times with electrical tape b fore mounting, I'll get a measurement to see maximum opening of included handle bar mount. It's a decent system & worth the $90

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
No need to do all that for me.

Already eyeballing the system online deciding if I want to buy it. :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ended up buying a different one.
Will see how it does.

Out of the 30 odd TPMS on Amazon (including Sykik) all use identical sensors and all the reviews vary. Sensors work perfectly against known gauge or they are inaccurate. Other forum I'm on someone uses the phone based system and those they said they are okay with them being 10 psi off. I can understand that as you really just need to an idiot light to tell you air is dropping.

Fingers crossed I get a pair of sensors that read accurately.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Oh so the center part screws into the base?

I was hoping for something like ram ball mount.
Bike has plenty of ram balls.
From @Bikesofbrads photos, if you want to use a standard 1" (25mm) RAM ball on the bike, it looks like all you have to buy is:

- An adapter with a standard ball on one end and a standard 1/4"-20 tripod screw on the other, e.g., RAM® Tough-Ball™ with 1/4"-20 x .25" Threaded Stud (https://www.amazon.com/Mount-1-Inch-Tough-Ball-Inches-Threaded/dp/B00AHCUNG2/), or Amazon.com : ARKON SP25MMCAM 25mm Swivel Ball to 1/4 20 Camera Mounting Bolt Adapter (Black) : Camera & Photo, etc.

- And a standard extension (e.g., RAM® Double Socket Arm, RAM® Double Socket Arm, etc.)

That is, it looks as if the Sykik display takes a standard tripod screw in the back, and you can completely dispense with the smaller ball and receptacle and lock ring that comes with the device.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
@wspollack Yes it is a standard thingy according to the booklet, all three of my sensors read exactly the same as the gauge I set the pressures with. I did notice when searching for my system there were several that looked identical but had a different name. @IndyVictory did you get a 2 or 3 sensor system, a bt model or one with its own designated screen?

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I didn't see any standard mount option on the Sykik.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I didn't see any standard mount option on the Sykik.
Look at @Bikesofbrads top pic in the post from Sunday at 9:01 PM. On the back side of the display unit are the female threads for a standard 1/4-20 screw (the type found on that RAM ball-with-screw I cited).

At least I think this is the situation.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts