VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought some tourmaster heated clothing yesterday and I can't figure out how to plug it in or where. I don't want to run a line all the way to the battery as that would not be good cosmetically or operationally.

So my question is does anybody here know where I can find an adapter that would fit the power outlets already on the bike or have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've got (2) sets coming this week (Tourmaster Synergy jacket liners) for the wife and I.........for our Blue Ridge Pkwy trip in two weeks. (So I'll post something up REAL soon on what I come up with).
Whatever it is, it will be clean and simple. I think some of the "issue" may be that most of these items have a setup "thinking" the battery is directly underneath your seating area. As we know the Vision has the battery quite a bit further away.
Unless the Vision has some form of pre-wired (HD) powere heading back towards the seats, this will be a fun project. I was thinking I "may" try to run a master power line from the battery along the backbone, and into that open area right side saddlebag/top/front. Get a mini-fuse block from a marine store and install it there. I'll try to then have the pig-tail ends rolled up in there.
But again, until I get the jackets this week and see what they supply, I'll know better then.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers guys. I tried powerlet and couldn't find what I was looking for there. What I was wanting was something that may plug into the headset plug located on the accessory panel so I don't have loose wires hanging all over the place and rubbing the body. I, like kaamacat, wanted something clean and simple but this may not be possible.

kaamacat the synergy jacket liners come with a long wire with a fuse in the middle and two battery terminal connections at the end. Please keep me posted as to what you come up with eventhough I am not at all handy maybe one of my friends could hook something up with some guidance. And if you've never been to the BRP you are in for a real treat, enjoy yourself and take lots of pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Just saw that mine shipped 2day.........so I'll expect them Thrusday. (Question). Which side of the jacket is are the power inputs on? That will get me thinking in advance. (I'm hoping the answer is right side).
On their website, it looks as-if the controller is on the left side.........so again, hoping the power comes from the other side.
See if it can go on the right side, I can probably get a small marine fuse/power block in that spare area and tie into that.
To..........be.......continued.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I was at the dealer today for my KP and brought up this topic once again to him. Come to find out there is a 12v connector not being used under the accessory panel in the front and under the seat in the rear. The front panel supposedly is easy to knock a hole in and you can then feed a cigarette type plug into the hole. Then all it would take is to snip off the battery terminal ends on the power cord from the jacket and attach a male plug to it and voila an outlet for our heated clothing. Then just do it again with the rear plug coming out of the trunk next to the communicator plug and both passenger and driver are taken care of. Upon arriving home I lifted off the front panel and sure enough there was the plug so I will be returning on the Vision to give this a try next week sometime unless I hear of a better option before then.

flint350 sorry I have no good advise to give on the pros or cons of either the vest or jacket as this is my first foray into heated clothing. I bought the jacket simply because I live by the motto "It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flint350 I am not sure if this is compatible with a cars cigarette lighter plug but I do know that victory sells these plugs if they are not the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I completed the installation and we're heading out tomorrow, Saturday throught Tuesday........and will post back. I'll also take some pics because it will make the routing much easier.
I will stay that I did go out and get:
(4) 10' spools of 10g wire, two black and two red
(1) 1/2" 5-foot black split plastic coil cover
(1) 3/8" 5-foot black split plastic coil cover
(1) 1/2" ID rubber gromet
(10) Pack of heat-shrink tubing
Some highlights:
1)I ended up extending each harness ~aprox 8' (yes EIGHT FEET). That got me to my "exit areas" with minimal slack.
2) I cut the TM harness about 8-10inches AFTER the fuse holder(s), then ADDED the full 10' additional RED(+) and NEGATIVE(-) wire. (I did NOT put the remaining TM wire/plugs on yet
3) Then temp routed the harness up along the left side frame backbone, then came out under the center area where you remove the "V" plastic painted cover in-front of the seat and. I used the open slot in the open foam "wire holder"which is right-of-center, then curved back to the left. (So basically the harness is left-bound on the bike.
4) Shortly after that, I divided the harness. DRIVER will ultimately come out just in front of the saddle bag forward most "point" and be stored when not in use in the same area as the ECU connection. PASSENGER will be routed further back, and come out via GROMET just behind area of heater switches on "upward" painted area. (So yes you will drill one hole). The cool thing on that one is, you can push the TM cable back into the gromet and it will coil itself around/under your seat area when not in use, and the plug will snug itself into the rubber gromet, and you wont see it.
5) Any spliced wires were done "head on" then twisted to keep the diameter minimal. Then soldered. Then heatshrink wrapped twice. (So remember to slide the
heatshrink tubng on the wires themselves BEFORE you connect anything.
............... but I will detail this more with pics.
Important thing was I tried it all 1st, both lines before final assembly and THEY WORKED.
ONE OTHER *IMPORTANT* ITEM......... before you cut the wires, mark and match them. Because they are totally black you can not see which are + or -. I believe that the wire with three every-so-small ribs on it is the negative. (IT WAS A OOPS MOMENT FOR ME thinking........hmm.........guess I needed to figure that out BEFORE I did the cut, but, i ended up just fine)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mdhass yes I just took out the intercom plug and replaced it with the cig plug type. I already have helmets (Nolans) with the intercom so this was not a needed function for me at this time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

flint350 said:
I am also interested in the TM Synergy Vest or Jacket liner.......

Any insights on the vest vs. full jacket would be appreciated. I'm planning a trip from Baltimore to Pensacola in the next 10 days and the return up here could be near Halloween - meaning chilly.
I would recommend the full jacket. I have a Gerbing, but the Tourmasters are very nice. I will probably getone when mine needs to be replaced.
A full jacket will be a lot warmer than just a vest and can also be worn as a jacket on its own when not turned on. I like mine when I go out to eat while on a ride and don't want to be bothered toting around big bulky jacket while walking around.
I have friends that thought they would save a few bucks getting the vest, then turned right around and ended up getting the full jacket.
Be sure to get the DUAL controls tho. Down the line you may want to add heated gloves or pants.
I LOVE MY ELECTRICS!!! I carry mine on board all year round. Very versatile and stow away easily.
The BMW shop is also a good source for gizmos and gadgets for your bikes. Those guys use more electronc stuff than I have ever seen. If nothing else they will be able to give you some ideas and tips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wired mine for the Gerbing heated jacket. I ran the wire under the front seat panel down the insde of the left fairing to the battery. Very clean...I can tuck it under the panel when not in use. Worked out perfect, I thought it was going to be a big chore. It took 15 min. I wire tied it out of veiw to the spark plug wire, ID clip, and a bracket on the frame that had 2 holes already for the zip ties. Hope this helps. Rockettman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.