VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I used to do that, but then i bought the "socks" and now no need to cover with plaatic any more, but be catefull, it is not good to have water there, i always ride the bike around the block after washing,

·
Registered
853 Posts
You want to be as minimal with water as you can but agree with Etroze86

Reactions: Etroze86

·
Registered
560 Posts
You want to be as minimal with water as you can but agree with Etroze86
This all day long, keep pressure washers away from motorcycles period. IDK how many times my buddies and I have chased down electrical issues on other peoples motorcycles because of water being forced in where it shouldn't be, but I do know we didn't have to buy beer for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes, I cover mine, and I am sparing with the water all over. A very light shower pattern is all you need. Currently I use a gallon size plastic bag over the both of them. I'm sure there's other options.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I can tell you since I had a big problem with moisture in my oil rotting out my clutch on my 07 KPT I've been VERY sparing with washes. In fact, I haven't YET done a total washdown of my 14 XC.. I just keep her wiped down and waxed. I used to hose down the bike.. liberally soap it up then shower rinse her off... and I haven't done that in quite a while now. I'm not saying that that was how water got into my oil.. but i'ts made me very cautious about it since.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Had my bike for nearly two years now and never washed it , I use a waterless polish although it never gets filthy dirty .

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
No, I do not cover my Torque Tubes. I also don’t use a pressure washer. I typically have only washed after riding in the rain, or if I’m at an event that has a charity (sometimes bikini) bike wash then I’ll support the charity by getting a clean bike. The Tubes have probably seen more water at higher pressure riding through some of the Tsunami’s I’ve been caught in and have always done fine. You don’t want water in your gas or oil but if it gets in your intake it’s just going to steam clean your combustion chamber before it gets blown out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
what he ^^^^^ said.

·
Registered
660 Posts
WOW!!!! I must be way older than I think. My air filter is under the gas tank, Have never washed there. Every 20K take it out rince it with water and re-oil it. ( performance style gauze type instead of paper type). And a torque tube was an enclosed driveshaft on some 50's and older vehicles.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
WOW!!!! I must be way older than I think. My air filter is under the gas tank, Have never washed there. Every 20K take it out rince it with water and re-oil it. ( performance style gauze type instead of paper type). And a torque tube was an enclosed driveshaft on some 50's and older vehicles.
View attachment 509141

View attachment 509143

Torque Tubes... a velocity increasing intake system. Compared to my S&S airbox, at 3400 rpm the gains were 11 HP and 17 ft-lbs just by changing the airbox. Expensive and worth every penny.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
This tends to surprise a lot of people, but not every Victory Motorcycle was a Cross Country. The Torque Tubes are a quality aftermarket component for the thousands of Victorys out there with model names other than Cross...or Vision. And they use a washable filter just like yours that sticks out from under the tank well exposed to cool fresh air...and whatever else comes in contact with an exposed surface, like water.

Reactions: JudgeRedd

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
  • Winner
Reactions: Half_Crazy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.