VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a kingpin over the weekend. Overall I love the bike even though it’s a 2005. 28k miles and it looks great. Now I’m new to V-twins, and victory’s, but my bike sounds like it has a top end tick when running. Is this just the v twin norm? Or is there something more concerning I should be looking for. I checked the oil level it’s spot on where it should be! Just don’t want to miss something I should be fixing. TIA!

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Victory's have notoriously noisy valve trains compared to many other bikes. Nothing a good pair of ear buds or loud exhaust won't fix.
Wouldn't hurt to change the oil since it's new to you.
If it continues to worry you maybe you can post a video of it here.
Take a look at the 'similar threads' at the bottom of your screen.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey @CalebGose82 , welcome to the VOG and great choice of rides. I'm a fellow Pinhead as well (04). Yep, I get that as well. As Lou suggested an oil change and tire check would be a good thing to do regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the others. I was mildly concerned about the ticking when I first got my 08 Kingpin, but after hearing several other Vic’s, I came to the conclusion that what I was hearing was completely normal. Since then, I’ve put almost 10K miles on the bike in the last 9 months with no issues at all.
I just got an 08 myself about a month ago and was terrified something was wrong with it. I found out that this is pretty normal for victories and have been loving it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If you start your bike on the stand and leave it there to warm up, the tic is likely to be louder. I start mine now after I'm aboard and it's upright.
Always stand mine upright, crack the throttle just a touch and hold the start button until she is fully running. Then hold at 1500 for about 30-45 secs. Put back on the side stand and go get my gear on while she continues to warm up.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Any idea why this is the case. Something to do with the oil sitting to one side in pan ?
Overhead cams and oiling. Better to have that initial startup be upright to properly lube in this vital first few secs

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Rode my souped up Vegas without a helmet once.
The mechanical cacophony was atrocious, never again.
As well as the wind noise the Victory engine sounds like a bucket of bolts but runs like hell performance wise.
Loud exhaust is almost mandatory.
My Kingpin runs RPW Thor and sounds Thunderous!
Vegas had Freedom Performance Slash when I bought it and also sounded great and even greater when I removed the baffle section and replaced with bent 2" pipe with lollipop baffles.
Great sounded even Greater, then went to RPW Slash to bring the HP/Torque up to where it shoulda been....
a decent indecent exhaust will cure you worries about mechanical clatter.

Reactions: MagVic CCT
1 - 13 of 13 Posts