VOG Forum banner

Top end noise! Normal?

15K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  gooch11 
#1 ·
As the title states... is this normal? If not, any ideas of what is wrong?
Tried several times to upload a video but guess I'm not tech savy enough.
If interested, I uploaded the video to YouTube. Title is; Victory Cross Country top end noise.
Any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
Lifter or chain tensioner not pumping up, some have had the problem not normal. Some claim that using oe filter and oil has cured there problem for them.. No first hand experience, Mine only does it for about 1-2 second on cold start up. Give it a day or two on here someone will have a definitive answer for you.

#5 ·
If it doesn't go away after a minute or so...see post #2. If it's under warranty, take it in and let them assess the situation, before it does any damage! If not, take it in anyway. Good luck.

#6 ·
To add some history;
I ride the bike daily, and two days prior to the video, on cold start up there were about three loud taps, and then it went away.
The day of the video it was 108f ambient, and I went on about a 150 mile ride. I stopped for about two hours and when I restarted the bike it sounded like that, and the noise didn't go away.

#8 ·
To add some history;
I ride the bike daily, and two days prior to the video, on cold start up there were about three loud taps, and then it went away.
The day of the video it was 108f ambient, and I went on about a 150 mile ride. I stopped for about two hours and when I restarted the bike it sounded like that, and the noise didn't go away.
Sounds like the oil pump in not working correctly? May be as simple as that. Other than that, the engine sounds normal.

#7 ·
I just watched/listened to the video. If it is the correct one that is not normal. I would bring her in and have the dealer take a look. These engines do make some noise in the top end but not that much.

#9 ·
Well, I watched your video and for all intent and purposes, it's my engine in the video. I went to the closest dealer and the service mgr listened to it and gave me the impression that all's well. I bought Motul 15W50 oil from them to see if it would make a difference but it didn't. He said to give it a while as there may be some crud that the new oil will wash out. What a bunch of BS! He appeared disinterested.

So I rode to a dealer 30 miles away (we have 3 Vic dealers in the Edmonton, AB area) and asked the tech to listen to my 'now hot' engine. It knocks harder when cold. He said that he'd like to replace the hydraulic tensioners in case they have become weak. I only have 37K miles on the bike. It'll be done on extended warranty. He's ordered the 2 parts and I'll take the bike in on July 25, let it get cold overnight and he'll experience the hard tapping in the morning. He said if that doesn't cure the noise problem, then they'll have to try changing the cam chain components. I hope the replacement tensioners work. It's the easy, quick fix.

I know there's a lot going on in the engine but it was relatively quiet for the past 3 years and this issue began this late spring.

Reactions: Jeb27
#11 ·
"1stVictory"
Sorry to hear that you are having a similar problem as me.
Just over a year ago I thought the engine was getting louder so I replaced the front cam chain tensioner, and it did quiet it down just a little.
When this noise started in called the dealer and explained what was going on (without them seeing the video) they said it is definitely the cam chain tensinner, and it would be a half hour labor plus parts. Since I had the old tensioner, I took five minutes and swapped it out. There was no change in the noise so I took the valve cover off and found what the problem is!
I posted a new video to YouTube titled "Victory Cross Country top end noise diagnosed"
Intake lifter is completely blown. Dealer wants 9hrs labor and $290.00 in parts.
Parts will be here tomorrow for $150.00 shipped and it will take this amateur about 3hrs to swap.
Hope yours is just a tensioner!

#15 ·
Because I work with computers and not engines I have a couple of questions. Had you not made the repair, could have this caused additional problems? Not that anyone would want to live with that noise... Any ideas on what caused the issue, were you revving the sh|t out of the engine?

#16 ·
Because I work with computers and not engines I have a couple of questions. Had you not made the repair, could have this caused additional problems? Not that anyone would want to live with that noise... Any ideas on what caused the issue, were you revving the sh|t out of the engine?
To answer your question i'm sure that running the engine too long in the state it was right before I fixed it would have caused damage to the cam, and or the end of the intake valve from slapping up and down. I think the most serious damage would occur if the little button on the lifter separated and was slammed shut in a valve or floated to who knows where.
My bike has always had a tap that I thought was excessive but the dealer always stated that's how they sound. Although I have heard many that sounded like mine, I have also heard many that sound like mine does now after the fix. i think I had a faulty lifter from new that just now let go.
We will see if the tapping stays away. it's always been strange to me that the front cylinder always made noise and the back was quiet but the dealer said the noise is normal. Now there is nary a tap from the front cylinder but a very slight one from the rear.

#18 ·
I'm having the same problem on the rear cylinder. Is there enough room for access with just removing the tank? Also did you have to remove the camshaft carrier or can you just the rocker arms? Any info/tips on performing this job would be much appreciated, thanks
Short answer to your question;
You do not need to remove the cams from the engine. You will need to unbolt the cam carrier in order to remove the bar that the rocker arms are attached to, so you can replace the rocker arm.
You will have to split the frame in order to remove the valve cover, and to access the cam. I was given the advice to tear it down and verify exactly what is wrong before buying parts, and I would say the same.

#19 ·
Hey thanks for the info. After reading the service manual it seemed like you needed to remove the whole cam carrier. Yes I was planning on opening it up to verify what the cause is. Don't want to waste time and money with wrong or not enough parts. So far I have listened to it with a stethoscope and the noise is definately coming from that area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.