Took off trunk today, guess how much it weighs | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Took off trunk today, guess how much it weighs

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Ed Heiser, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Ed Heiser

Ed Heiser Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Victory Vision
    I've been debating removing the trunk to shave some weight, especially up high like that. It can always be put back on. I had the matching filler panel that came with my purchase, thanks po.
    I was guessing 25 to 30 pounds.
    Weighed it on a digital scale, 43 pounds empty!
    :22yikes:
    With my bag and tools in there, it would be about 50 pounds.
    Lifting it off the side stand it felt like I had removed even more pounds. Good result for 1/2 hours work. Well, it took longer to clean out a closet to store that beast.
    Looks good too, less space shipish. I guess that's not a word, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I don't see it going back on anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    My tools and stuff are in my left bag. The truck only holds what I'm taking with me wherever I'm going. Usually a lunch cooler, water bottle, and little bag going to work. I do keep some things in the hole in the floor. A bag of chords and things I don't usually need. If you put anything in there make sure it's in a zip baggy, it gets a bit dusty.

As for having it or not I really can't feel much difference but I do enjoy the look of it without so having a bike set up each way is nice.

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Many that take them off don't put them back on. I have my Vegas for fun with less weight but the Vision still corners faster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. mdhall41

mdhall41 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision
    It's just too darn convenient! I also store tools and usually some windshield spray in the left bag, rain gear in the right, then whatever I want that day in the trunk. Usually just maps, a hat, sweatshirt, sunscreen, maybe some water and/or a snack. Often I have room to lock my helmet for long stops.

Now if I'm going overnight or a few days it changes a little. I wish it was as easy to remove as my HD was... and the side bags weren't so awkward... it might actually come off in that case. I would imagine if I had a CC I would often go trunkless.

• Like Like x 2
  5. firstvictory

firstvictory Well-Known Member

2017 Vegas 8 ball (BBC) and Vision 8Ball (BBBC)
    I would have guessed that the trunk weighed more than that. Mine came off the day the bike was delivered and have no idea how the bike rides with the trunk. Just looks too OPB for my taste. I had the Corbin smuggler trunk I bought on for awhile, because I like the way it looked, never put anything in it. Can't put much in there anyways. When I took it off, noticed it left a mark next to the filler panel. So that puckers never ever going back on the bike either. Also have come to hate the seat on that thing. Shipping weight on the smuggler was 41 lbs and it is way smaller than the trunk.
    This is the first bike I have ever owned with bags, and I am pretty satisfied with the amount of room in the bags. I just did a trip and carried my air pump, battery jumper, basic hand tools, 3 days worth of clothes, extra kicks and gloves, sunscreen, rain gear, couple of bottles of water, shave kit and 2 bottles of don Julio in the bags. Don't know what else I would need to carry even if I had more room. Just need to stay in a motel with washing machine every third day to wash my soiled pantaloons while drinking said don julio..............

• Like Like x 1
  6. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Mine has been on and off a few different times. In the end, I opted to keep it on for the added storage/convenience of throwing my helmet and other things in there when parked. I do love the look of it without the trunk on though. It’s a sexy beast!

also, I think I’m the only one that’s ever said this, but I’ve felt like the front is heavier (dips in) without the trunk. With the trunk on, it feels more balanced front to back for me...especially in low speed corners & maneuvering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ed Heiser

Ed Heiser Member

2014 Victory Vision
    Maybe it's just me with my skinny old legs, but removing that much weight makes moving the bike around in tight spaces and on a slope sooo much easier. That's like one of those 45 pound weights at the gym attached to the back and high up. I have to get a young guy to take those off a machine for me before I use it.:badgrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Active Member

Mine was more simply because I added a chrome rack.
    Nine does go on if I have a long trip. but comes right off when I get back.

9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Mine has been hanging on the wall for 9 yrs.
    If I need to carry more than what my saddle bags can hold then the backrest and the rack goes on. I have a few rack bags in different sizes to carry extra stuff like clothes and weekend essentials. To me that’s a better option for my riding comfort. The bike just handles better, looks better, and honey likes the backrest better. Says the trunk sits her up to straight. Yeah I know we’re talking Visions but my trunks heavy too.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Mine came off before I left the showroom! And it never went on. I don't miss it. I have ridden other Visions with the trunk and it wasn't bad, but it's way nicer without. For the long distance stuff I throw a tail bag on the back and I'm good to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    If the Wife decides to never get on the bike then mine will come off. She used to ride with me since '76 until about '07, siad she want to try again but gives excuses when I ask......oh well!

• Like Like x 2
  12. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Mine too. So I got the backrest and rack. Easy on and off. The trunk is a bear to handle. Why don’t I sell it ? She says absolutely no !
    “That black beauty came home with it and it’s staying. “ yep she put her foot down.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Active Member

Take it off but don't get rid Of it. The Value will drop even more. Friend of mine purchased a Vision Tour. But did not have the trunk. Managed another1300 off the price. It was low to begin with.

14. mister-g

mister-g Well-Known Member

2014 vision tour
    been debating on removing that trunk for 8 yrs now. both marker lights just went out on it at the same time ( still got power on the inside ) and i'm still trying to figure out how to get to the bulbs. maybe this is a sign :think: :ride:

15. jharpe

jharpe Member

2012 Vision
    I'd liked to try trunkless but can't make myself pay the Unicorn price for a filler panel.

• Agree Agree x 3