VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent today at a Motorsports of Ft. Lauderdale (mega Dealer) for the Can-Am Demo Day and finally got to not only see one up close and personal...I took my first test ride.

Yes, videos are coming...a few of them and yes, lots of photos will be posted later.

Since I'm a bit short on time, I'll give you the highlights:

Overall, I'm very impressed. The fit and finish was excellent. However I say that with a grain of salt as due to the location of this Dealership, no highway or higher speed rides were allowed. So, my initial thoughts are based on only going through three gears (and reverse) at less than 45 mph. Yes, that was disappointing as after all, it IS a Touring Bike and it's difficult to form an opinion of it riding city streets. With that said, I'm still impressed.

In terms of the riding position, since I'm only 5' 6" tall, it fit very well. I'm not sure how taller riders will like the riding position, but for me, it could not have been better. It's an upright riding position and is far from the aggressive stance of the RS models.

The seat was cushy, but firm. Like the Vision, it's a sculpted seat, but the top of the seat has a type of backrest cushion that was very comfortable. It has me thinking if a backrest will be necessary.

Since it's a 5-speed transmission, the first gear was very long and I didn't have the opportunity to get it near the 9,000 RPM red line. The clutch has a four position settings and has an easy pull...although it didn't fully engage until later in the release. In a way, it's similar to the 09 Vision I rode in Canada.

The Rotax engine is smooth as silk and didn't make any unusual noises. If I had to make a comparison, the feel and sound of the engine/exhaust is somewhere between a Goldwing and a BMW Sport Tourer.

The transmission was also very smooth and finding Neutral was a no-brainer. Again, I never saw 4th gear and think that whoever setup the test route should have realized that Tour Riders would not be able to get a feel of its capabilities on city streets.

The windshield (at city speeds) provided a perfect envelope with zero buffeting. While the Rep stated the electric powered shield has a 4" range, I'm not too sure about that. The stock shield was fantastic and crystal clear with no distortion or Polarized spots whatsoever. While I added a 2" taller than stock shield on the Vision, there's no need for me to make any alterations or mods on the stock shield.

In city traffic in 80+ degree temperatures, I felt no engine heat.

It will take some time getting used to the methods of actually turning the handlebar and leaning in a snowmobile-style to make a turn and it felt stable when taking turns. It also stayed on center with little if any effort. Yes, it's strange having to actually turn the handlebars and while I'm not sure I'd want to take it on the Tail of the Dragon during the first week of ownership, I'm sure once I get used to its characteristics, I'll learn how to handle it properly.

Like the Spyder RS, it's very strange not having a hand brake and even stranger is not having to put your feet on the ground when stopping...very weird in a good way.

For the 15 minute test ride, while this is far from a review, I can honestly state that I'm looking forward to receiving my RT-S.

The gauges were fantastic and I'll have more on that later.

When the ride ended, we went over a sandy area...the type that most riders avoid. There was no issues riding and turning at slower speeds over sand.

More later.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clubford00 said:
AND SOME DAMN PICTURES !!!
Just remember...You asked for them!

The Truck

Motorsports of Ft. Lauderdale

Motorsports of Ft. Lauderdale

Spyder RT

Spyder RT-S

Matching Factory Trailer

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Andy, is that the dealership you and I went to?

And one more thing, Go ahead and get the trailer, then you have no excuses to not take some nice trips.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clubford00 said:
Andy, is that the dealership you and I went to?

And one more thing, Go ahead and get the trailer, then you have no excuses to not take some nice trips.
Not the same Dealership. The one we visited was Broward Motorsports in West Palm Beach. The facility they are in was a former Lexus Dealership.

As you can see, there's no shortage of inventory in the shops in my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
advntrus said:
The "Snowmoblie" analogy is an interesting one. I've owned one of those too. You get a real workout riding one of those. There were times, at the end of a ride, we would be dripping in sweat. That was in temps near zero! Are you ready for that?....lol
Shawn
Trust Me, I've given this a lot of thought. Yes, it could be a mistake, but it could be a good move for the type of riding I enjoy. Time will tell.

If it's a mistake...CLUBFORD, are you interested?

The good news, is that I'm loading her up with every factory option: CB/Intercom, XM, Garmin Zumo 660 with the factory mount/harness, etc. So, if I decide it's not for me, yes, I'll take a loss, but I should be able to sell it.

Again, time will tell.

As the Key West Boys will attest, I shouldn't have to worry about using the Tip Overs on this trike!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
One thing for sure i can tell you. Having ridden and owned a few snowmobiles in my life as well, this will be nothing like riding a sled. The seating position, maybe, but i believe thats where it will end. You will not have to worry about the physical aspect like a sled. You wont need to muscle this around. No ups and downs or twisties like riding trails on a sled. You will be relaxed and the biggest thing is you wont have to wear a snowmobile suit !

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clubford00 said:
One thing for sure i can tell you. Having ridden and owned a few snowmobiles in my life as well, this will be nothing like riding a sled. The seating position, maybe, but i believe thats where it will end. You will not have to worry about the physical aspect like a sled. You wont need to muscle this around. No ups and downs or twisties like riding trails on a sled. You will be relaxed and the biggest thing is you wont have to wear a snowmobile suit !
And the variable assist power steering is helpful in the comfort/handling arena.

I'm hoping to have a couple of videos posted within the next day or two.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I hope to test ride on this weekend! I tested out one a couple years ago. I now know what to expect on the 3 wheel and how it steers. I really like the looks of the new touring models. I'm starting to see more & more around my area in Sacramento AND on Poker Runs!

Very Cool Andy! When ya picking her up?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
We have the RS version (GS when it came out), it's my wife's ride. It's not like riding a sled, it's more like riding an ATV with power steering.

If my 98lb, 5' 0" wife can ride an RS for 10 hours straight and get off without feeling tired I don't think Andy is going to have any problems.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

mjw930 said:
We have the RS version (GS when it came out), it's my wife's ride. It's not like riding a sled, it's more like riding an ATV with power steering.

If my 98lb, 5' 0" wife can ride an RS for 10 hours straight and get off without feeling tired I don't think Andy is going to have any problems.
Good to know as I showed my wife this and she is sold as she now wants to test ride one.
Andy keep the up dates comming the wife wants to know more on this as it has her intrest

·
Registered
81 Posts

Not trying to be an ass, but why don't you all just buy your self a convertible auto and get all the options you really want, like seat belts and ac, etc., etc.....
I don't think trikes are really motorcycles, however they fill a need for the handicapped and non motorcycle rider. Three wheels don't make a good car, and is leaps and bounds away from being a motorcycle. Looking forward to the go-cart and tote-goat forums.........not! Guess I need to excert more self-control on what I click on

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Well one, to each his own.
Some like red some like blue, some like two wheels some 3 some 4 (5 if you own a Continental)(sorry old guy humor).
I guess you said it best when you said you need to exert self control.
Hey if the avitar fits......

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys...chill. It's just a vehicle.

I'll be the first to state, it's NOT a motorcycle...it's something completely different. It delivers the rush of two wheels and offers a completely different set of features. Like anything else, it will take some getting used to. But, you have to admit, it's nice to see a company that is thinking outside the box. Isn't that the same thing that made Victory what is is today?

Personally, it fits the type of riding I'm looking for at this stage of my riding career. And yes, it's not for everyone.

Maybe I'll enjoy it, maybe not.

Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.