VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm leaving Edmonton for the East Coast on Friday and would like some suggestions on places to see while out there.
I'm wondering about the Route through Northern Ontario, is it good, bad and if good should I go through Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury or through Kapuskasing. I'm considering this route on my way home.
As for through the USA I'm thinking Grand forks, Duluth, St. Ignace, to Sarnia.
From Sarnia I'll make my way up to Owen Sound to Barrie to Kingston.
I want to stay out of large centers if possible (bypass routes are fine) and would like to stay off interstates as much as possible.
What is the loop from Riviere-du-loup to Rimouski to Bathurst like?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is not written in stone and is up for change at any time. The only limit on the trip is being home Mid-afternoon on August 15th.
I'm always up for a coffee and a ride with fellow Vogers, so If you will be around when I pass through your area let me know.
Thanks in advance for any info you pass my way.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
My only trips to Manitoba and Saskatchewan have been by plane so I can't speak about your Canadian route, but in the US I would suggest riding along the Great Lakes for the best scenery. Been through North Dakota quite a bit and honestly not a ton to look at other than yellow highway stripes. Duluth and along the southern edge of Lake Superior, northern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is VERY nice. Also, I am pretty sure the ride from Duluth to Grand Forks in northern Minnesota would be really good riding as well.

My only advice would be to keep your head on a swivel for deer.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Bored,
Send Bobbyg a PM, he just travelled the US Route on his wayto Alaska, he'll fill you in on road conditions. Are you going to be able to keep in touch while on the move?
OT

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OneThumb said:
Bored,
Send Bobbyg a PM, he just travelled the US Route on his wayto Alaska, he'll fill you in on road conditions. Are you going to be able to keep in touch while on the move?
OT
I'll have my netbook and cell with me, so keeping in touch won't be too much of a problem. I'll be hoteling it on the trip, so wifi shouldn't be an issue.
I'll pm bobbyg and get his thoughts on that route.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
bored76 said:
OneThumb said:
Bored,
OT
I'll have my netbook and cell with me, so keeping in touch won't be too much of a problem. I'll be hoteling it on the trip, so wifi shouldn't be an issue.
I'll pm bobbyg and get his thoughts on that route.
You could also contact Nepper, he's from Sudbury, ON.
OT

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
bored76 said:
So I'm leaving Edmonton for the East Coast on Friday and would like some suggestions on places to see while out there.
I'm wondering about the Route through Northern Ontario, is it good, bad and if good should I go through Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury or through Kapuskasing. I'm considering this route on my way home.
As for through the USA I'm thinking Grand forks, Duluth, St. Ignace, to Sarnia.
From Sarnia I'll make my way up to Owen Sound to Barrie to Kingston.
I want to stay out of large centers if possible (bypass routes are fine) and would like to stay off interstates as much as possible.
What is the loop from Riviere-du-loup to Rimouski to Bathurst like?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is not written in stone and is up for change at any time. The only limit on the trip is being home Mid-afternoon on August 15th.
I'm always up for a coffee and a ride with fellow Vogers, so If you will be around when I pass through your area let me know.
Thanks in advance for any info you pass my way.
Howdy bored76 the Quebec portion of your trip will be sweet the area from Riviere du loup to Rimouski is just wonderful and going around the Gaspe penninsula to New Brunswick is also superbe I would be pleased to ride w/ you and show you around. give me an email ... marty

·
Registered
409 Posts
One thing I can say,, Stay out of Chicago.. By pass it all costs.. I learned the hard way.

Prince Edward County has some real nice wine tours, Just not to many samples or you could add a couple of days to your trip.

From Owen Sound the #26 is under contruction closer to the 400 highway, so if you head down the #10 you would be better off. Was just there to pick up the new XC on Saturaday.

You could travel the # 2 highway to Kingston and stay off the 401, slower but a a nice ride.

The 401 has some construction on it and can really slow you down. Plus not nice being stuck on blacktop in the heat.

When are you planning on getting to the Kingston area. I am up in Ottawa but will travel for coffee.. Any excuse to ride. Bike Nights in Kingston are Wednesday and friday.

How far east are you plannig on going and if you heading there, how far into the states on the east coast.

Just came back from a trip to Laconia area and over to Nova Scotia a couple weeks ago and the #2 highway in Maine has some bad construction.

Hope that helps some..

Have a great trip and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

reddog3769 said:
One thing I can say,, Stay out of Chicago.. By pass it all costs.. I learned the hard way.

Prince Edward County has some real nice wine tours, Just not to many samples or you could add a couple of days to your trip.

From Owen Sound the #26 is under contruction closer to the 400 highway, so if you head down the #10 you would be better off. Was just there to pick up the new XC on Saturaday.

You could travel the # 2 highway to Kingston and stay off the 401, slower but a a nice ride.

The 401 has some construction on it and can really slow you down. Plus not nice being stuck on blacktop in the heat.

When are you planning on getting to the Kingston area. I am up in Ottawa but will travel for coffee.. Any excuse to ride. Bike Nights in Kingston are Wednesday and friday.

How far east are you plannig on going and if you heading there, how far into the states on the east coast.

Just came back from a trip to Laconia area and over to Nova Scotia a couple weeks ago and the #2 highway in Maine has some bad construction.

Hope that helps some..

Have a great trip and keep the rubber side down.
Depending on how far I travel each day I will go to at least Moncton. I don't plan on being anywhere close to Chicago and skirt around Detroit.
As for how far into the States, right down Michigan,along the south side of the lakes and back into Canada around Dundee Quebec (but could swing back into Canada at wellesley island for a timmies & rip around Kingston).

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
To get around the southern tip of Lake Michigan you HAVE to go through Chicago, so I would suggest once you skirt around Detroit head north through beautiful Michigan, across the Macinaw bridge, through the U.P. and along the southern edge of Lake Superior and then through northern Minnesota. This would be some great riding.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
if you're going west for a bit, hwy 2 from Superior to the West Coast. It's a great road like traveling back in time. A little shy on gas stations in some areas but it's also 'the Lewis and Clark trail' with some sort of historical marker every 30 minutes it seems if you're into that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Kapuskasing is like riding around Nordeg, Alberta. Rolling hill covered in spruce and pine trees. Not much traffic that way. If I had the time the southern route would be my preference. See lake country and all the small little towns. Yarmouth Nova Scotia is a must see to watch the tides at the Bay of Fundy. I'm a prairie boy born and raised. To see those tides it blew me away. The history in Halifax and area very enjoyable. As is the food. Sea food chowder in so many variations is a taste delight. PEI is a beautiful province and again the history in Charlottetown or however you spell it is interesting. Lots to see depending on how fast you can get out there and how much time you have.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So to start the trip I'm going to make my way to Grand forks, Duluth, St. Ignace, toledo, Rochester, and then to Dundee, Quebec.
These are just rough points, but the general area of my travel.
If you have any thoughts please let me know.
Just one question about St. Ignace to Toledo, should I take the East or West side of Michigan?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I will start another feed soon with pic's but for now I'm in Saskatoon and will head toward Grand Forks ND. on Saturday.
As always let me know anything about the area's I'm heading through. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree about the North Dakota comment... and if you're crossing at Sarnia stay away from the 401 route. Head toward the lake... it takes longer but is nicer or go north as someone else suggested. If you're taking a southern lake route toward Rochester.. there is lots of gorgeous country. Depends how far south you are.

Stay off of 90 due to construction and boredom. I just got back from Wyoming and used the 90 route to make time. We are in the Niagara Falls area, let us know when... and maybe we can catch up with you. Buffalo has some construction and if you want to know ways of avoiding it, let us know. I have done it so many times from the Cleveland area across to Albany and have found some interesting roads.

GO VIA the Adirondacks if you have the time. Nice mountain roads. I have family in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and P.E.I. and have visited there too by bike. Some pretty big distances in N.B. to cover before you find gas so gas up when you can depending on where you're going.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So 1150k today in 12hrs. The hardest part was finding a hotel room in Grand Forks, but got one. Off to the macinaw bridge & down between the great lakes in the morning.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

bored76 said:
So 1150k today in 12hrs. The hardest part was finding a hotel room in Grand Forks, but got one. Off to the macinaw bridge & down between the great lakes in the morning.
So now that my mind is fully functioning this morning, I think I'll be stopping in the St Ignace area, as it's about 700 miles according to the maps & that will be plenty of riding as I want to enjoy the sites.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another great day of riding. 1100+km. Spending the night in St. Ignace. Looks like I'm heading to Erie, PA on Monday.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Sounds like things are going great how has the ride been so far? Any pics to share with us? Planning on getting off the interstate some more?

·
Registered
814 Posts

Sorry to reply so late, we were attending our Freedom Rider's Rally this weekend.
By now you are probably already through Sudbury but if not then I'd deffinately recommend the Sault to Sudbury route as opposed to the Ka[uskasing route. THe highway is in good condition and the scenery as well as the abundance of places to stop is much better.
I'd recommend Sudbury as your overnight stop over as you will have a better choice of accomodations with a wider range of prices and levels of comfort.
Highway 69 south to the 400 is in pretty decent shape and construction shouldn't slow you down accept for a one lane bottleneck at the Pickrel River bridge just south of Sudbury. They are repairing the bridge so be prepared for a bit of a slow down at that point.
Hey have a good trip aye.
Nepper.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

phoenix9 said:
Sounds like things are going great how has the ride been so far? Any pics to share with us? Planning on getting off the interstate some more?
If I get in at a decent time one night I'll upload some pics. As for the riding it's going well. The butt is a little tender, but other than that it's good. I took 23 from the Macinac Bridge to Saginaw (in a light drizzle) today. Got messed up a couple times and ended up taking the Turnike from Toledo Ohio to Clevland Ohio. I then took the Scenic lake route from Clevland to Erie PA. I'm off to Brome Lake, PQ in the morning (900k run instead of 1100ish K). I'll try to get an oil change done before I leave.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.