Too little warning with low fuel light | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Too little warning with low fuel light

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by hunter3203, Jun 13, 2016.

1. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Judge
    Hello everyone,

I'm a new 2013 Victory Judge owner. I just ran through my 2nd tank and my low fuel light is giving me just 2 miles of warning before being completely empty. This happened with both tanks of fuel so far. Mixed riding got me 196 miles both times before the light came on and 198 miles to the bike running out. Fortunately, I was able to coast into a nearby gas station both times. Given that I don't have a fuel guage on this bike, this is going to be a problem. Any ideas about what might be the problem? Is there any kind of software adjustment that needs to be made? Ideally, I'd like to have a warning that I'm down to my last gallon.

2. BlackCCT

BlackCCT Active Member

2012 Cross Country Tour (Vic Shop cammed)
    These bike are notorious for having crap fuel gauges. My XC is the opposite, it sits at full tank forever then all of a sudden you can literally watch the gauge drop while riding down the highway. Then the low fuel light will pop on when I still have over a gallon of gas left. It sucks but since it's at least consistent I have learned how to manage the gauge.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    At least you have a gauge. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the trip meter. I left the house yesterday with only 80 miles on the tank and figured I'd have no issue. I just ended up riding a lot more than I planned on. It's a fun bike to ride afterall.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Etroze86

Etroze86 Active Member

Judge
    I am lucky that mine comes on with about a gallon left but the thing is I don't ever wait for the light to come on. I use my trip because every bike before that never had a gas gauge or even a warning light except for my FZ1.

5. Slappy

Slappy Active Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    Even with the poor gauge and warning light I still use the old school method of gassing up around 185 miles on trip meter. I figure it's better to be safe than to run out on the road and have to hike for fuel :22yikes:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    I'm pretty spoiled. I just sold my Street Glide and it had plenty of gauges. The temp gauge was always high though.

With my Judge, I'm leaving the tach displayed which means I have to remember to toggle through and check my mileage occasionally.

Nice bike btw. What kind of windshield do you have on it? I just put a Slipstreamer Spitfire on this past weekend.

7. Etroze86

Etroze86 Active Member

Judge
    Thanks and yeah I just routinely toggle through my screen cause I do the same thing.
    Thanks and the wind screen is a MRA speed screen, I commute 40 miles each direction every day so that little bit of wind it takes off my chest is awesome.

8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    The Vision fuel gauge seems to be the best in the bunch but I still watch my Trip and fill up around 185 miles on each tank.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mdhall41

mdhall41 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision
    had my Judge about 6K miles... I ran out with the same issue the first week... light on, then 2-3 miles and empty. Ever since I just reset my trip and gas at no more than 160-70, that usually lets me fill 3.8-4.2 gallons. Occasionally I'll play with fire and hit 185-90 miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    The Judge should have the same as the BW and mine comes on at .5 of a gallon. I use the #1 trip being a I had the flash done to speedo $50, and have average mph, instant mph and #2 trip, elapsed time, average speed etc. 180 miles, I am looking for gas, as only 20 miles left.

11. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    Not on a Judge, but the fuel gauge itself on the CCT is totally useless and needn't even be there, but I find the lo-fuel light is pretty damn accurate as to when it is time for a fresh refill, so I ride by the trip and have about 80 kilometres or so once the light comes on.

Round town and areas I know where the next stop is, I do not worry too much about the light coming on, but riding strange areas, I will stop and fill when the trip meter is getting close to my estimated mileage.....

12. mdhall41

mdhall41 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision
    $50 flash - I can get my speedo to have more info???

13. conklij

conklij Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    They are all a little different. When mine comes on at around 180 miles it still has a gallon and a half left. Mileage is the best way to keep track but if it's under warranty take it in and see what they will do. My owners manual says under "indicator lamps" that the low fuel light should come on when there is approximately one gallon of fuel left in the tank. Tell them to make it close to that, none of this 2 miles and it's out BS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    You have the rare collectors addition there. Almost all of these things are way too optimistic. Mine comes on with about 1.3 gallons left. I still reset the Trip. Just an old habit, and it gives me peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 1