VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a simple question with probably 100 answers.
If i have a Vision with new tires (forget about brand right now) on average, what kind of miles should i expect out of a set?
I know that brands will vary and riding style will also vary. Im just curious if i can expect 2000 miles or 10,000
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Depends if you are on a bed of nails or not.
I'm getting over 10K on OEM Dunlops on my KP. I'm going to send Vern (rldr12) in for this one. He has at least 10K on his if I recall correctly.
PS ~ NOT IF ..... AS SOON AS!!!!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool that helps . Thanks. I was just hearing people replace tires after 5k miles and was thinking that was really low.
I understand they are not made to go 50 60 or 80k like car tires but i thought you should get more than 5k out of them Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Note from Vern:
I got 10300 miles on mine and looks like i might get 11000 about 4/32 tread left but again it all depends on riding style mine is sumwhat agressive at times most people from my understanding get about 8500-9000

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Hey Dean,
I hit post and it all disappeared... Lets try that again. I average 6-8k out of a tire. Mostly because here in Florida we don't have alot of stone aggregate so they use shell. The new roads are now being blacktopped, however the back roads we all love to ride on still consist mainly of shell.... Like sandpaper on a tire...
Don

·
Registered
59 Posts

I got 6700 miles on my factory dunlops on my 2007 Hammer. They were pretty used up. I replaced with the same Dunlop elite 3's. Just got them on last week.
Had a friend with Meztlers on his 2007 Hammer and was not impressed. He got about 7000 miles out of them. For the price and performance he went back to Dunlops.
He did state that his son has a 2007 Vegas and the Meztlers made a huge difference in handling and got better wear???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had 26K on the factory Dunlops on my '01 when I changed them out, and they could have gone a few thousand more. I changed them because I had the front end apart to powdercoat the forks and wheels and figured I might as well put the new tires on then rather than wait another 4 or 5K and pay for labor all over again. The Dunlop E3's I have now have over 14K on them and are nowhere near ready to change.

On the other hand, my wife's V-Star (with about the same overall miles) is on it's 3rd set of tires: the original Bridgestones (which she hated), Dunlop 404's (better) and now Kenda Kruz 673's (which she likes the best). Don't know why the lighter bike and rider goes through tires faster, but it does.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do keep in mind that im thinking about wear for the vision, The riding style weight of the bike etc will be different from the hammer or sport type. Im pretty agressive in my car and racecar, but a big bike is much different. I have always been just the oposite on a bike very defensive instead of offensive in driving/riding styles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That depends upon the kind of riding you do. I got about 7500 on the OEM Dunlop rear tire. But I ride aggressively primarily in the Smokey mountain twisties. The front tire could have gone another 4,000 or so, but I do not mix front and rear tires. Same brand and same model. Tires, brakes, suspension, wheels,and frames are not something to skimp on when doing 80+!!

If you are riding straight line highways, then your mileage will be much different than mine. If you rarely nail it on takeoff and do not ride hairpin curves, you could probably add 3,000 miles or more.

On my Avon Venoms, the mileage was much less. I only got about 6,000 miles out of that rear tire and cord was showing. Great tire for handling, but be forewarned that they wear quickly.

I have about 3K on my Bridgestones and they are holding up well. I liked the Avons, but the Stones are just as good and are actually wearing better. Think I will be staying with the Bridgestones. My riding partner has a Vegas and could not find the Bridgestones for the 21" front, so if you have a Vegas, 8 Ball Vegas, or Jackpot, the Bridgestones may not be an option for you. He is going with the Avons. Should much improve the handling of the Vegas and with that skinny front tire, should help the handling a lot!

The Dunlops were good at straight lines, but would give in the turns. I do not ever want to go back to the Dunlops for the way I ride. They wear well, but do not handle well in the twisties.

Avons are sticky and ride great. They are really soft however and do not last as long as the Dunlops or Stones, but ride so much better than the stock Dunlops.

I have not had the Bridgestones on long enough to compare durability to the OEM tires, but they ride great and take corners like the Avons. Plus, unlike the Avons, I have better handling in the rain with the Stones. With the Avons, if you have to break hard when the pavement is wet, hang on!! I had the rear end slide on me several times. Dry pavement, they were wonderful and stick like glue in the twisties!

Stay away from the Metzlers. Although on my previous bike, the Metzlers rode extremely well, too many Vics riders experience the famous "high speed wobble" with the Metzlers. Most of the riders have had good success with Avons and Bridgestones.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys and gals, i have 9000 miles on my tires and they still look really good.
When i had the bike in for service at about 7000 miles i was told by the tech at Randys that he looks for the center part of the tire getting flat more than the tread wear itself.
And you all know i dont mean a flat tire.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
If you keep the at proper inflation they should be OK. I usually start looking close at 10 K. Because we do not have many turns in the mid-west, the tires will get flat before they wear out.IrunDunlops, have had Venom's that actually wore well on my TC and thought the traction was much improved. The riders in Fl have always had their tires wear faster. The heat and the pavement has to have someting to do with it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have about 12,000 on my rear tire. It's getting close to replacement time, but not bald. I didn't get that much out of the original tire. Same make and model, just less on the throttle now that I've grown up/matured:)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your talking to me im averaging about 1000 miles per month since i got it. I know its not much, but its not just sitting in the garage either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.