VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my Vision for about a month and a half now and have logged 4,500kms. On several occasions when making a left turn from a stop (I think only on the left) I've felt the rear slip. The first time it happened I stopped and checked the tire and everything looked normal so I thought perhaps I hit a spot of oil on the road.

On a couple of other occasions I thought maybe I was too aggressive on the throttle. However, this afternoon I was in a long sweeping left bend doing about 90K and I felt the back end slip several times. It had just rained but I know for a fact that I could take that corner with my car under the same conditions at 120K with no trouble at all.

I've checked the tire pressure and it's fine. I had a very close look at the tire and it seems to have a slight gray colored band on the far left side of the tire (not the sidewall). Could there be some substance on the tire causing this? After 25 years of not riding I'm still trying to figure out what's "normal" and to adjust my riding accordingly. However, if what I'm experiencing is normal, I don't want to ride!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
181 Posts
Could that gray band be the cords showing through? Doesn't seem likely with 4500kms, but it could be defective, n ot to mention unsafe. Get it to your dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to wipe off the the gray stuff with my hand so it can't be that.

Could it be that I'm just too aggressive? I really doubt that since my confidence level is still low and I believe I'm being conservative.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
How about the pressure in your shock? Check that

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bubba said:
How about the pressure in your shock? Check that
Well today the pressure was set high for the two-up position with my wife from my last ride. It was a short ride into town so I didn't bother reducing the pressure. How critical is the pressure to handling? Could it cause the back-end to slip? (the road was smooth where it happened today) Also, I was thinking back and I'm certain that it's never happened when leaning right; only when leaning left.

I think I'll go to a parking lot and push the limits in both directions and see if something's amiss. I've seen videos of guys scraping the pegs on the Vision with no tire slippage.

Since I'm due for my second service I'll do as Advntrus suggested and have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ok heres a funny thought but is it possible the few times you have experienced this, you have been turning on one of the painted stripes on the road? I know it sounds dumb but many a times ive felt the rear slip when on one of these.
Just an Idea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clubford00 said:
Ok heres a funny thought but is it possible the few times you have experienced this, you have been turning on one of the painted stripes on the road? I know it sounds dumb but many a times ive felt the rear slip when on one of these.
Just an Idea.
I'm sure there was no painted stripe. Once it happened turning out of my driveway (dry & clean). In yesterday's incident the pavement was wet but the road was smooth and I was not accelerating or decelerating. The bike felt unstable and wobbled about four times; it was scary.

My previous experience was with dirt bikes (25 years ago) which I rode everywhere. In those days I was a bit of a maniac and drove fast and hard. However, I don't remember ever experiencing any kind of unexpected loss of traction.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Lower the presure in the shock and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

There is one curve up by me, the first time I took it at speed coming off the Hiway,I had a real scary feeling, I thought the wheels were coming off.
Yikes Road Snakes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OneThumb said:
There is one curve up by me, the first time I took it at speed coming off the Hiway,I had a real scary feeling, I thought the wheels were coming off.
Yikes Road Snakes!
That's the impression I got yesterday. I thought that either the rear tire had gone flat or that the wheel had come loose. No issue at all at the front of the bike.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
rickmc said:
OneThumb said:
Yikes Road Snakes!
That's the impression I got yesterday. I thought that either the rear tire had gone flat or that the wheel had come loose. No issue at all at the front of the bike.
Does it happen all the time or just on the same stretch of road?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OneThumb said:
rickmc said:
OneThumb said:
Yikes Road Snakes!
Does it happen all the time or just on the same stretch of road?
No particular place. Most incidents have been when I'm making a turn from a stop at an intersection (that's when I lean the most since I'm not pushing corners hard at speed). The first time it happened, my wife was on the back. I immediately pulled over to check the tire. Since I didn't see anything wrong I thought I might have hit a patch of oil.

Twice it's happened at highway speeds. Yesterday in the rain it wobbled about four times. The previous time the highway was dry and I felt one momentary slip.

I fully acknowledge the possibility that there's no mechanical problem and it's a driver issue. However, I really don't think I'm pushing it very hard. I'll find an experienced rider (perhaps the dealer's mechanic) and have them take it out.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Get the bike off the ground and check to make sure there is no slop in the rear. (Yes, slop is a highly technical term ;) ) Then spin the tire to make sure the tire is running true. There should be NO play in the swingarm or wheel and the tire should not wobble or have high spots.

The problem you describe could be anything from bad swingarm bushings/bearings, bad wheel bearings, a loose rear axle or the most likely, a defective rear tire.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would have this checked out!! Not normal and although I have only test drove the Vision on a couple of occasions, never felt anything like this. The last time I drove one it was really windy and I did notice that the fairing would catch that wind when it was blowing sideways and make me feel that the bike was pushing up on one side. Do not experience this with my KP (tall windshield and lowers), nor on the Cross Roads with the same conditions. When it is real windy on these, the problem is more head winds, not side ones.

I did have Avons on the Kingpin at one time and I would have the rear slide on me in the rain. It would do it every time I had to brake hard and fast. Also experienced this in the rain around sharp turns with the Avons.

If I were guessing, I would say that:

(1) The wheel is out of alignment
(2) The tire is out of round or defective
(3) You could have a defective wheel bearing
(4) Shock is too soft
(5) Bad swing arm bushings/bearings.

At any rate, since she is under warranty, so let your Vic wrench take care of it. I have never heard this being a problem on any Victory, except the Pot or Hammer and then it is not the tire breaking contact, but trying to get the tire's surface area to follow your track. I have felt the front tire feel a little tricky on the Vegas' in tight turns due to height and width.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.