VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't hammer me - I'm learning.

I'm looking at a Michelin Commander II rear tire for my '12 XCT. The book says 180/60/16. I found the tire online in a 180/65/16. To my thinking, that difference in aspect ratio is negligible.

Am I correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have the same tires and that 65 ratio made my speedometer dead on with my GPS! I'm on my 3rd pair!

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
There are many reports from the top Dyno tuners of these tires not having enough clearance and rubbing the swingarms when they get hot. Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Don't hammer me - I'm learning.

I'm looking at a Michelin Commander II rear tire for my '12 XCT. The book says 180/60/16. I found the tire online in a 180/65/16. To my thinking, that difference in aspect ratio is negligible.

Am I correct? Thanks.
IT would be very smart of you to change current ride on your signature

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
With the 65 aspect ratio, you will probably be alright. I went to a 70 and had to adjust to keep from rubbing. It's very close, but doable. You get the load range with the bias ply. I don't believe they come in radial in that size.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Those bias tires get taller with high speed so just be careful and check afterwards for rubbing. Hopefully you don't get any at triple digits.
Not worth the risk to me, too many good tires in the proper size.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Again for the hard of hearing. I have a 13 XCT and I'm on my 3rd set. Cruise at 80 quite often. Never rubbed and I've checked the clearence. Could probably squeeze a 70 series but 65 has plenty of room. 3rd set, never rubbed. If that's not clear enough then ignore my experience. I won't be hurt.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I run the same size tire on my Magnum except it’s a Avon 2up loaded down no rubbing issues anywhere all that measurement means is you are ever so slightly taller that’s it

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Again for the hard of hearing. I have a 13 XCT and I'm on my 3rd set. Cruise at 80 quite often. Never rubbed and I've checked the clearence. Could probably squeeze a 70 series but 65 has plenty of room. 3rd set, never rubbed. If that's not clear enough then ignore my experience. I won't be hurt.
So your experience is all that counts, 3 sets? SMX, The Vic Shop and KMC have all seen it, surely others. Some tires are further out of spec than others. What exactly do you think the quality control specs are, better yet how far off are they in the real world? These shops run more than 3 tires in a day. They've all reported this problem. Some riders have reported it. Most are probably just fine, what about the ones that aren't?!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have yet to see a documented report that Commander II's in a XCT rub. Period. The room I have would suggest that they might rub due to quality control issues; like a swing arm actually 1/4" shorter would be shocking. I ride with two other XCT's and a Vision and we all run the Commander II's. Please point me to the posts where these XCT's, due to manufacturing tolerances that are off, that these tires rub. Thanks,

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have yet to see a documented report that Commander II's in a XCT rub. Period. The room I have would suggest that they might rub due to quality control issues; like a swing arm actually 1/4" shorter would be shocking. I ride with two other XCT's and a Vision and we all run the Commander II's. Please point me to the posts where these XCT's, due to manufacturing tolerances that are off, that these tires rub. Thanks,
So that means it hasn`t happened?

Rylan of THE VIC SHOP @Vicbuilder posted here or facebook that the 65 series tire WILL RUB the swing arm.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
It's not the bikes that are off spec, it's the tires. Rylan has posted just that on this site. Kevinx and Kyle have claimed the same. Do as you wish, I'm done with this.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
It's not the bikes that are off spec, it's the tires. Rylan has posted just that on this site. Kevinx and Kyle have claimed the same. Do as you wish, I'm done with this.
The guy asked if he could run Commander II's on his 12 XCT. He can.. I must be running the smaller 65 series version ! We were also instructed not to run synthetic oil and non radial tires by you're beloved gurus.

You're right. I'm done...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.