VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have between 3/32 and 4/32 left on my front original tire (Dunlop Elite 3) on 2012 Victory Vegas. Bike has 6000miles, tire shows manufacture date of July 2011. Do you guys thinks it's time to replace based on tread depth and life it or I should have more time. The Dunlop site shows tire to have new tire depth to be 6/32. Btw, I had replaced my rear a year back due to a flat. I am just checking as I was planning a 1000 mile ride.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I know a few guys with a Vegas and they typically only get about 6k out of a front tire. Your original tire is OLD and the rubber is probably getting fairly hard and wearing longer. If it were me I would replace it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Lots of tread left on old tires so it just doesn't seem worth the $700 to change them. Hopefully I don't get caught.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Old tires can look fine, but sometimes they get hard, less sticky in the rain, and can start cracking after some riding is done. Change them...just not worth the risk. I never have tires over two years even if they look good.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
If memory serves; the life of a tire is about 8 years if it isn't wore out first. You're at less than 7. I think I would look closely at the tire and do the old thumbnail trick to compare how hard it is compared to your newer rear tire and make an educated decision on whether to run it for this 1000 mile trip or not. It has plenty of tread.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Tire life is 5 years from manufacture date .... Trow it away .... Full tread or no tread ... Doesnt matter

90/90-21" night draggon
Please check if this is correct ....
Pirelli
Bridgestone
Mettzler
Avon

Whatever is avaleble for you ...

should fit perfect, and MUCH more grip then the stock Dunflop , i took the stock front and rear Dunlops OFF before they were finished on my '13 Jackpot

And on the '14 CCT it was even DANGEROUS to ride in the rain when i got the bike in '16, so i changed them also before finished

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the responses, I have an ME880 on rear so I will replace with similar for the front. I am convinced, it's not worth the risk trying to save another $120 on a tire that's old regardless of tread

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
View attachment 461633 how do you like my dunlops? 2007!!! With a ton of tread left. A nice new pair of shinkos just showed up at my front door today
I've got old tires on my KP too and plan on running the tires down to unsafe tread depth before changing them but then I'm not loading it down with a passenger and gear either. I have the XC for that fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got old tires on my KP too and plan on running the tires down to unsafe tread depth before changing them but then I'm not loading it down with a passenger and gear either. I have the XC for that fun.
I was going to keep riding them till I watched the horror stories of old tires with new tread shredding apart.

Draft, are those the 777's?
Yep hopefully they will be installed Friday if I can get away from work

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been running 777's on our Vulcan, magna and now the Vegas for the last 5 years. They are great tires. A bit fast on the wear (I typically get about 8000+ out of a rear tire) mostly due to their soft compound, but for the performance and price they are pretty unbeatable.

Mine are the original tires that came with the bike in 2013. I swapped out the rear last season and will do the front this year so my replacements are staggered.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I was going to keep riding them till I watched the horror stories of old tires with new tread shredding apart.
Yep hopefully they will be installed Friday if I can get away from work

View attachment 462073
I think I'll be getting these when it's time to change mine. The price is right and they are getting decent reviews. I don't put a lot of miles on my KP. One of the advantages of having two bikes.

From my quick search it looks like Amazon has the best prices at just over $200 for the set. Is there anyone you found who has lower prices?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I'll be getting these when it's time to change mine. The price is right and they are getting decent reviews. I don't put a lot of miles on my KP. One of the advantages of having two bikes.

From my quick search it looks like Amazon has the best prices at just over $200 for the set. Is there anyone you found who has lower prices?
For the Shinko's? Check out Chapparal motorsports on ebay.

$56.88 for the front tire
$121.77 for the rear

$178.65 out the door and free shipping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.