VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my screen name implies lol I have a 2011 Vegas 8ball and it’s time for tires. Being that this is my first Vtwin, I was wondering what would be a good tire to replace the existing one with.
:oilleak:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As my screen name implies lol I have a 2011 Vegas 8ball and it's time for tires. Being that this is my first Vtwin, I was wondering what would be a good tire to replace the existing one with.
:oilleak:
Depending on your riding style, softer.compound for cornering harder for cruising. Avon is a good bet for the twisties, I've had really good luck with Metzler 880s' once you get them warmed up they're pretty sticky, and get pretty good life out of them and they do better than most in rain. Have been running them for 19 years. Conti tires are an often overlooked brand but my main riding partner swears by them we both ride pretty hard. Don't care for the Dunlop slip and slides. Have had some hairy instances with them in the rain. Figure out what you want your bike to do and what your wallet will allow you to do and go from there.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
As you know the Dunlop sucks. The Metzler 888 is a step up, they make rain groves all but disappear and last longer than the 880. The Avon Cobras are exceptional , especially in the rain.

I put the Avon Cobra radial on the rear of my Vegas and it made a great difference in stability.

I've put 8k on a set of Avons on my XC this year. Including almost 2 hrs thru Michael when we were leaving the FL Keys. I see many sets of these tires in my future.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Kinda a load question, without knowing what you are doing there is no right answer.

I have multiple bikes and am currently running, Dunlops, Avons, and Continentals. My wife and I travel and tour a lot, and we both love twisties. I also like to enter the police rodeos whenever possible. The Dunlops are tough to beat for a good all around tire, even in wet conditions. I actually had a guy on his hands and knees inspecting my tires after doing a spirited demo in the rain cause he had read on the net that you couldn't do that with dunlops. (I also teach motorcycle skills classes)

Avons are a good tire but wear very bad under hard use, the worst I have had is less than 500 miles doing rodeos, the sidewalls will literally melt off of them. As to being better in the rain is very subjective, I have used them in floor board grinding turns in the rain and they seem to slid about the same as the Dunlops. But if it makes you feel more secure running them, by all means, you should. I will keep buying them, but they have to be priced right. The same goes for many of the other brands.

Buy whatever tire makes you feel the most warm and fuzzy as based on the limited scope of the question it probably won't make all the much difference.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input! I’m coming from a sport bike of 10 years so twistys are a different animal on this beast but I give it hell when I can. I used to run Michelin pilot powers -soft and very sticky. My Vegas has Dunlop’s currently and from what I’ve noticed in the rain, don’t give me warm and fuzzies.
I was browsing around but was looking for some real world opinions from those that ride similar motorcycles.
Thanks again for all your feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.