VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im trying to plan a actual trip on the vision I’ve really only spent a day on a bike not states and days. First thing I know is I will have to build a trailer my vision came with a hitch and there is not enough room for my wife to pack her crap otherwise I’ve never rode to far from home we don’t have rain gear which would probably be a plus otherwise tops advice would be great

·
Registered
84 Posts
To avoid or hide out from rain, we park in self serve car washes. They aren't very busy when its raining.
I built a trailer from a harbor freight kit and attach a car top carrier to it. Momma needs to take half of what she owns.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Join AMA and use auto pay plan, that gives you free road side service.
Take a credit card.
A tire plugging kit with air compressor is nice to have.
Smart phone or GPS or both. I also have a paper map of every state I plan to ride through.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had seen people use the harbor freight trailer and they change out the tongue out for some swivel deal I am a welder and fabricator so I can alter a trailer however needed paper maps are great thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
26,122 Posts
Hey Vic not sure couple days to a week probably a couple states away to start not to crazy
K. That helps.

If it was me I would take just a couple pants and a few shirts with a daily change of underwear and socks. When needed I'd stop to wash clothes while we grab a bite or stay at a motel with a laundry mat. I can stand wearing pants for days but not my socks and underwear. And before anybody says throw them away know that I wear some high dollar Under Amour undies that cost to much to do that.

Then you have remind the wife this is a bike trip and not a beauty contest so her hair and makeup needs to stay at a minimum.

Also if she's anything like mine you may need to "forget" several of her shoes at home. We went to Austin for a weekend once and she wanted to take three pairs on my Kingpin, which is much smaller than a Visions capacity. I took them.....strapped to my luggage rack hoping they'd fall off.... They didn't.

As for rain gear I always have it loaded in my left bag with my tool roll, tire stuff, shock pump, and spare sweatshirt.

I will say I'm glad I added a luggage rack and have a bag for it for extra room but I've yet to get to use it.

• Haha
Reactions: eotsis1 and Rollin

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
To avoid or hide out from rain, we park in self serve car washes. They aren't very busy when its raining.
I do the same thing! Even smaller towns have the self serve washes. Most have a door you can pull down

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like taking long road trips. I take two pants, couple of short and long sleeved shirts, extra under garments. Rain gear, select tools, depending on weather a coat. Full face / half helmet. Don't like wearing the helmets but it's the law. I pull a trailer with a cooler so I do have extra room for stuff. I try not to overload. Enjoy your trip. Be safe.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Like most any trip, you (or she) won’t need as much as you think. It’s a bike, pack light and plan on doing some laundry. What you forget you can buy on the road if really needed (you aren’t traveling through the Sahara).

·
Super Moderator
26,122 Posts
I like taking long road trips. I take two pants, couple of short and long sleeved shirts, extra under garments. Rain gear, select tools, depending on weather a coat. Full face / half helmet. Don't like wearing the helmets but it's the law. I pull a trailer with a cooler so I do have extra room for stuff. I try not to overload. Enjoy your trip. Be safe.
How much does the trailer change how you can ride? Any?

I've looked into trailers but haven't bit the bullet because I'm afraid I won't like it and then not use it.

I do however really like the look of this one and think it would be a winner. I really like that you can just roll it into your room wherever you stay.

Motorcycle Trailers, Motorcycle Trailer Parts & Accessories

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have told my wife she can take anything she wants as long as it fits in her saddlebag on my cross country. (and now my indian RM which is much smaller). we carry 3 days clothes which includes what is on our backs.

We have 2 pairs jeans, one pair of zip off pants that double as shorts. 3 pair socks underwear and under shorts. People in Nebraska didnt see what i wore in Kansas. what does it matter? We bring layers and think through what we really need. after every trip we discuss what we didnt use. I took a 2 week vacation from South Dakota to Yellowstone and home to NH. we did 5,000 miles.
we do book hotels that have laundry (hamton Inn, Fairfield etc..) and breakfast. Every other day at night we wash what we have. doesnt take long and you're in the room anyway.

My wife hates dirty clothes at home and does the wash every day so this is no different. I see the attraction of the trailer but have learned how to live without the extras and prefer it.

obviously have rain gear and have a sweatshirt and motorcycle jacket. together if cold , seperate if on or off the bike.

I actually enjoy the challenge of making it work.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I actually kindof enjoyed pulling my trailer behind the bike.. I bought me a Rally Wagon and whenever 'the group' went on a camping trip I'd carry most of everybody's stuff.. so I was pretty heavy.
I've posted this before, but if you wanna know about pulling a trailer behind a bike, try motocampers dot com... those guys have forgotten more about bike trailers than most will ever know.

I'd give the swivel hitch a pass personally.. the lean angle on an XC isn't enough to go past the ball/hitch, only place it might make a difference is if the bike or the trailer completely flip.. and if that happens a swiveling hitch is going to be the last thing you're concerned about.

Biggest thing I'd worry about if pulling a trailer and riding 2-up on a Cross bike is the weight... make sure that rear tire is aired up properly. The load rating on these tires is actually pretty low, so if you have a heavy tongue (which you shouldn't.. like 30 lbs or so would be about right at most) keep an eye out.

If you already ride 'correctly' you'll be fine pulling the trailer... slow down BEFORE you hit a corner, and accelerate slightly once you're in it.. that keeps the trailer from pushing you offline. Avoid braking in the corners or you'll feel the ass end trying to push out. Engine braking is your friend.. it keeps the brakes from heating up... and I just love to hear the pipes talk as you're downshifting. :)

As for the distance riding in general.. if you haven't ever done a lot of long rides remember to HYDRATE. You'd be surprised how the wind and sun can dry you out w/out you knowing it. On a hot day you can easily put away a regular size water bottle at every gas stop and STILL not have enough moisture in you to take a piss. I also suggest you eat light and often instead of big meals.. they can make you very logey and make you tired. If you start to feel a bit groggy, pull over at a rest stop or something and walk around a bit...safe riding requires awareness.. and if you get lulled into a stupor you aren't paying close enough attention to the road. Most of all, keep momma happy! You schedule and willingness to keep going should not override HER desire to stop. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.