VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there oil fans.
Question of concern.
Riding yesterday on a long open road sustaining speeds of 80plus. Not hot out. 93 in the tank. Bike runs great. Never an issue. See my tune specs.
So here’s my sitchy ation.
At times yesterday when accelerating hard to redline and above running thru the gears I thought I heard a high pitched sound like tiny gravel hitting my heat shields. That’s the best description I can think of. Only when winding her out.
Wondering ......... detonation? Should I back timing down to let’s say 4* advance ? Will it affect my tune ?

I seldom wind my motor out like this but our group yesterday all performance set up big twins and a Gold wing all felt their oats. A road like 27 running from lake O to Coral Springs is a freaking race track. Great biker bar at the destination called cafe 27.

Again bike purred. Just that high rev sound that I noticed yesterday. Timing ?

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Sounds like pre-detonation to me. I’m assuming you have the adjustable timing wheel? I’d back it off 1 or 2 degrees then try to recreate the scenario, see if there’s a difference. Also, if you’ve ran 93 consistently you’ve probably got carbon build up on your piston crowns and exhaust valves, which creates hot spots which exacerbates pre-detonation. Run a few tanks of lower Octane treated with Techron or Seafoam to clean up the combustion chambers, that might help too.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually I run Rec 90. I will do both drop timing and try a carbon cleaner. So it shouldn’t affect my tune ? At least not above 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Techron is great stuff, not doubt, and I've used it a number of times in various aplications. But in my experience, Gumout is the best.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
What bike, which pipes?? I agree though, try backing it down and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I’m thinking false alarm. Just got under bike to see new tire (Avon). Tire valve cap missing so put new one on and there it is. Extra exhaust clamp just a hanging there. Wtf ......that’s what was probably ringing from the exhaust vibrating at full throttle.
Looks like the mechanic replaced that one with a better one so no harm / no foul.
Still I’m going to take some good advise and run a little fuel / carbon cleaner and take her out.
If I still hear ping ....... and I will check under a load as well then I will back off timing.
Thanks guys for the responses.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question. Can the timing wheel be adjusted without removing it ?

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
It is easy to adjust it in place but you do need to remove the cover to get at it.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yepper removing the cover is definitely the only way to get at it. Good to know I don’t have to remove it. Thanks OM. Hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Question. Can the timing wheel be adjusted without removing it ?
Theoretically, yes but I will be tough to get the marks to line up where you want it unless you put the bike on a lift and raise it to eye level. If you gone that far, might as well take it off and put it on a work bench where you have better light. ( I've got old eyes.)

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
@Bujee1 Just your eyes??!! Hell, every thing I have got old! Except my wife. She's not getting old.

(be sure and tell her I said that)

• Haha
Reactions: Bujee1

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
If you want to use a great fuel injector/carbon remover get a can of BG 44K. I like to run a treated tank through before an oil change every now & then.
BG 44K® Fuel System Cleaner | BG Products, Inc.
I love the BG products and use them regularly on my vehicles, but I need so little for the bike, that I find gumout is a lot cheaper, can be used in smaller quantities, and still does a superior job of cleaning.

I have wondered about using the BG in the crankcase of the bike, but not sure I trust it with the clutch. Since it really isn't formulated for motorcycles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.