VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A van I was following on the freeway decides to change lanes to avoid a police car that was parked in the right lane. Well, he did this at the last minute and at speed which gave me fractions of a second to react.
  1. The Vision braking system works as designed!!
  2. I am now experienced in how to control a back tire skid.
  3. I'm thanking God that I had ATGATT.
  4. I need new underwear.
I'm sure I could have given myself a second or two more gap, but what a day.
Ride safe everyone!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yea, hitting the back of a cop car whould not have been a good nite...rather have the dirty underwear huh?

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have that happened to mea few time and must say its down right scarry....drivers around here just do not look or use signal lights when they change lanes. I now keep my finger ready to use my horn or open my pipeswhen any driver is close to me ... eyes wide open and staying out of their blind side.....glad your safe

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Go ahead and call me dense, but what is ATGATT?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

bored76 said:
Go ahead and call me dense, but what is ATGATT?
All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

dsjr70 said:
I am glad all is well with you. Keep te black side down...
Hey Don,our boyDave rides a Ness Vision, so telling him to keep the Black side down could send the wrong message.......better to keep thepretty Chrome parts UP.
:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

Glad you are ok.
I had a similar incident Saturday while driving my wife's car. On 4 lane road driving in sleet, proper following distance..for an old guy..about 5-6 car lengths at 60-65mph. In second from left lane, either lane left or right is clear...guy in front jams brakes, I start to apply mine. He suddenly swerves toleft lane...there in front of me is one of those large orange metal carts that you put drywall or paneling on it's side like at Home Depot...right there in front of me. I was ok, a quick left mirror check and I was in the left lane myself.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I just cant figure out why some people ride/drive 10 feet in front of them instead of 300. If people would just look ahead at where they are going this stuff wouldnt happen.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Glad you are OK and handled the situation. I would have PASIMP.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone!! I just couldn't believe what I was seeing as the blue and white was stationary in the lane. I actually was in the far left lane come to think of it, where the concrete barrier was to my left with the only out to the right. The van hid the car from my view. Up ahead was a stalled vehicle and the cop was a back up to the original officer creating a buffer zone for them.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Glad you're alive to tell us about this! This is why I try to leave plenty of distance between me and the car ahead of me, especially when on the bike.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Glad things worked out YIKES!

I make a point to not ride behind vans and SUVs I can't see around. I've had that same thing happen while driving. Also I don't ride behind trucks with stuff in the back or open trailers. Seen too much stuff fly out the back. I don't want to be the receiver of an unexpected gift.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
bikendad said:
Glad you're alive to tell us about this! This is why I try to leave plenty of distance between me and the car ahead of me, especially when on the bike.
Ditto!!!! Always create "defensible space." Time & distance = staying alive!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I knew the topic was too important not to post. Even though there were some obvious mistakes, I did have my gear on and gained a lot of experience through the whole ordeal. If it helps a single person, then I think the experience was well worth sharing. I joke about it now, but believe me, going from 70 to near zero in seconds puts alot in perspective. Enjoy our toys, but ride safe. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.