VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed an oily stain on the cylinder head and pipes, which kinda freaked me out until I looked at the forks...

I replaced the fork oil at 23K, but I now have 54K on her, and recently took the scenic route from NY to CA, with a lot of twisties in between...

What do y'all think? Thanks
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Crankset
Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me. I can't really see how storing it one way or another can cause leaky fork seals. Dirt and grime, maybe. But who knows as I've heard weirder things (on TheVog).

Reactions: zenwave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definitely needs seals. Welcome to the club as I need them too, but the cost is astronomical so I will be tackling this job myself. The previous owner bought all the tools and gave them to me but couldn't find the seals when I went to pick up the bike. All Balls makes the only set I know of that has the fork seals AND the dust sweeps.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@zenwave Probably just need to clean the dust seals, I would try that first.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input everyone... unfortunately, I have neither the skills nor tools to wrench my bike.

Anyone know how long it takes to replace both seals? I’d like to have an idea of how many hours of labor I should be charged for when I call the local Indian dealer‘s service department to get a quote.

Much obliged.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone... unfortunately, I have neither the skills nor tools to wrench my bike.

Anyone know how long it takes to replace both seals? I'd like to have an idea of how many hours of labor I should be charged for when I call the local Indian dealer's service department to get a quote.

Much obliged.
It cost me 4 hrs [email protected] $95 and $64 for the kit, seals oil and dust+ $20 for the oil itself. That was at a Polaris/Victory dealer about 3-4 years ago. OEM.

I did suffer a leak a year later but used a sealmate tool to clean. Still working great. I had 53000 on bike for 1st fork service.

I was whacked by a wicked dirt devil and it lifted my dust cover.

Hope that helps.... Nice ride you took.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote I got a couple months back was nearly $500 and that's me bringing the forks in off the bike. They send it to a shop to have it done because they don't have the tools to do the work anymore and don't stock the parts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've worked around seals (valve service technician) for over 14 years. The custom valves I work on work exactly like a fork, including having wiper seals on a shaft. The wiper seal (the "seal" at the end of the shaft that you can see) is not actually a seal in the way that it is keeping the oil in the fork. It is only meant to keep the dirt away from the actual seals, prolonging their life. I've been in the field long enough to know that doing things like cleaning the seals (pushing the dirt out with negative film in this case) is only prolonging the problem. The seals are worn out and are failing.
I just found my seals leaking last weekend and already ordered a set from Witchdoctors. I have over 45,000 miles on my XC without any service to the forks other than washing them, so it's time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a leaky fork that acted like there was a piece of debris in there, one day fine and the next day leaking fork oil and blowing it all down the side of the bike. I picked up one of the SealMate tools for $10 on Amazon (see link below). Figured for the price I'd try it. Worked great. I know there are plenty of field expedient methods for making a tool to do the same thing but I bought the tool anyway. No leaks since. I figure I'll put seals in when I get around to servicing the forks, which by the book is supposed to be every 15K. I'll likely have three times that when I get around to it. Anyway, just my experience.

Amazon.com: SealMate Fixes your Leaking Fork Seals - Blue: Automotive

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I had Noe replace mine at around 50K miles. Had just started to leak. He also inspected for any tiny dings, rust spots or anything else that might create future problems. He also discussed with me the oils available and I went with the one he recommends. It was, as I remember only slightly more viscous than the original (maybe 5-8 more) I was glad to have it done as it gave me a much better feel of the road. And not that I was having issues, but it did smooth things a bit and gave the bike a much more stable feel at Hwy. speed and on hard corners.

He took everything completely down and cleaned it all, inside and out, replacing the full OEM kit and I believe the whole cost was around 375-400.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again all, yeah it was an awesome ride, my first cross country bike trip.
Here are some videos from the ride.
Westward Bound, 2019 - YouTube

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I think stock is 7.5W. I upped mine to 10 when I did my seals and oil, looking for a little less dip and for the first probably 250-300 miles it made my teeth chatter, but smoothed out. DIY total cost is under $100 but several hours or longer. I actually let my forks drain overnight since I didn't have a spring compressor, then cleaned it all up really well, finally going over everything with heavy duty cleaner and brake parts cleaner to remove any residue. Let it dry then reassemble and refill tubes. All in all probably about 4-5 total labor hours for me, but not bad considering I've never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
In the conversation I had with Noe, and it's been a while, I seem to remember the stock oil is closer to 10/11W and the oil he uses closer to 15. In any case, it does make for more road feel, but it's a very worhwhile trade off for improved control. Not huge differences, but enough to be noticed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote I got a couple months back was nearly $500 and that's me bringing the forks in off the bike. They send it to a shop to have it done because they don't have the tools to do the work anymore and don't stock the parts.
Oh damn, forgot I was riding a discontinued brand! Hopefully won't have to wait that long for parts.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Kits are available, but not necessarily the OEM. Check out Dennis Kirk. Only difference is OEM kit includes more items.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think stock is 7.5W. I upped mine to 10 when I did my seals and oil, looking for a little less dip and for the first probably 250-300 miles it made my teeth chatter, but smoothed out. DIY total cost is under $100 but several hours or longer. I actually let my forks drain overnight since I didn't have a spring compressor, then cleaned it all up really well, finally going over everything with heavy duty cleaner and brake parts cleaner to remove any residue. Let it dry then reassemble and refill tubes. All in all probably about 4-5 total labor hours for me, but not bad considering I've never done anything like this before.
NO, I think this can be put up in a better way that this!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I had a leaky fork that acted like there was a piece of debris in there, one day fine and the next day leaking fork oil and blowing it all down the side of the bike. I picked up one of the SealMate tools for $10 on Amazon (see link below). Figured for the price I'd try it. Worked great. I know there are plenty of field expedient methods for making a tool to do the same thing but I bought the tool anyway. No leaks since. I figure I'll put seals in when I get around to servicing the forks, which by the book is supposed to be every 15K. I'll likely have three times that when I get around to it. Anyway, just my experience.

Amazon.com: SealMate Fixes your Leaking Fork Seals - Blue: Automotive
Ordered from sealmate and they sent a pack of four. I tend to use them when I really detail the bike. Usually every other oil change. Sold my KP with just under 70,000, { Still regretting that} and had no leaks. Any body want to swap a pin for a hammer?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.