Throttle locks install | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Throttle locks install

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by hunter3203, Jul 18, 2016.

1. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Judge
    Originally posted in the Judge forum.

One of the changes I've been wanting to make is to install a throttle lock on my Judge. I've had one in the past on other bikes and got used to having true cruise control on my recently sold Street Glide. I did some research and decided to try the Kaoko cruise control, $100 from Twisted Throttle. It mounts on the bar end and uses a reverse threaded bolt to apply friction to the end of the grip. The idea is that you slide your hand over slightly and grip the bolt while you're apply throttle. You do still have the ability to make adjustments to throttle position, it's just stiff. It's also fairly easy to roll off the throttle since you're simultaneously loosening the bolt. I tried it for a week or so and decided that I just wasn't comfortable with the way it works. I use such a device fairly often and probably in circumstances that others might not. I've got some arthritis and need to flex my hand fairly often. So the Kaoko may work quite well for others. Kaoko Cruise Control for Victory Judge '13-15 High-Ball '13-'16 (Models with 20.2mm ID Bars) | TwistedThrottle.com

I ended up buying the Brake Away throttle lock. It's a fair bit more expensive at $180 but is easier to use and has an automatic disconnect activated by the brake lever. It's made out of machined aluminum and is definitely a quality piece of gear. It goes on quite easily but does take some fiddling to make sure the throttle isn't binding and returns easily when not engaged. Like the Kaoko, you can make throttle adjustments when it's engaged as well but the thumb operated release lever is easier to use and of course the brake disconnect is very comforting. I'm attaching a link to pics of it installed.

Album: Brake Away Cruise Control

2. Sutherland

Sutherland Well-Known Member

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    Been running the break away for years now on my 08 kingpin, nothing but good things to say about this product
    Regards

3. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    I had one MANY years ago on a Honda Magna. It looks like they've redesigned it since then. If I recall correctly mine mounted to the brake master cylinder. Now they have a separate arm that attaches between the master cylinder assembly and throttle that is connect back to the throttle lock.

4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I had a BrakeAway on my 07 KP and loved it. It was nice to have and well worth the money.

5. gdfishwell

gdfishwell Active Member

2008 Victory Kingpin Tour
    I installed the Kuryakyn bar-end-style throttle lock on my Kingpin. It will not work with the Victory stock grips, they reccomend the Isogrips, which are a great looking and very comfortable upgrade themselves. My only regret is that I waited so long to do the upgrade.

6. Trendkill

Trendkill Active Member

Victory Magnum
    Brake Aways are awesome. Had one on my Stratoliner.