VOG Forum banner

Thoughts on a Harley Superlow 1200T...

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  notaharley 
#1 ·
So I've had my Cross Roads for a little over 6 years and never plan to part with it... That being said, I've been thinking for a while now that the Superlow 1200T looked pretty sweet, albeit a small framed bike. I've never owned a Harley but the 1200 Evo motor has been around a long time and from what I've read seems to be more reliable and lower maintenance than the Big Twins. The prices are getting to be pretty reasonable for a used one and they all seem to fall into two categories: either a ton of miles or extremely low miles. That has me curious. Are these bikes like the old VW Beetles where you either love them for their personality/character and drive the wheels off of them or hate them for being small and finicky? I'm tempted to add a stablemate in the garage with Vic to have a fun little local bike and save Vic for my longer rides. Does anyone have any experience with this bike or the 1200 Evo? Someone talk me down off the ledge, please! :lol:

#7 ·
Yeah, the Scout is a nice looking bike, but I'm still holding onto some pretty hard feelings for Polarass for how they killed the value of our bikes and are already falling far short of the "support" they promised. I know its a business and all about the bottom line, but a business run honorably retains customer loyalty and thrives.

#3 · (Edited)
If you buy a 1200 Sportster buy one that has a rubber-mounted engine. Big difference vs a solid mounted Sportster engine when riding over 65 mph. The later model Sportsters have a reputation for being the most reliable Harley's made. With proper care and not run hard a later model Sportster will run over 100,000 miles.
Highest Mileage Sportster - Harley Davidson Forums

#15 · (Edited)
I love the Sporties for 1 thing...quick fun in town ripping around. If you plan on a highway trip, that thing will bust ur @ss.

I took my KP around the Great lakes, Out West, and to the Smokys from Chicago. I could do 12 hours in the stock saddle without much issue. When we met in Murphy the lot of us, I was the only 1 with a steel frame until someone else showed up on a Gunner. But he was somewhat local. I did 2800 miles that week most on my own.

Could never do that on a Sporty or a Scout. And that was loaded with side bags, rack bag and my big @ss.

Another thing to think on: Sporties tend to be 1st timer HD Wannabe or womens bikes. The resale is the worse of any HD when I look around. Buy it for 12k and try to sell it next year..you'll be lucky to get 7K. People outgrow them fast and there are thousands all over the place for sale.

Great fun little city bikes, but you will outgrow it in a month if not sooner.

#8 · (Edited)
I rode a HD Slim and really liked it. Fun bike. If it's gotta be a Harley the Slim is as easy going as it gets.
The Slim is nice looking too, but I'm put off by all the maintenance headaches I've read about the Big Twins. Still, I've never had a Harley so I have no personal experience about their reliability. I'd really like to stay with an American bike, but I'm not ready to give Polarass another chance... yet. I've learned to never say never though. That leaves me with Harley and there's just something about the stance of that 1200T that looks really cool to me. I've ridden on Japanese bikes for 35 years before buying the Vic and the feel is just so much more solid to me than the Japanese bikes were. Harley's have similar feel that, I guess is maybe more substantial and better made than the Japanese bikes too. At least it seems so anyway.

#14 ·
My oldest boy bought a new 93 sporty in 93. He was going from dirt to street. A 883 we made it a 1200 to save on insurance back then he was 20. He started touring with me the following summer. A bigger tank windshield and saddlebags he added to it. In two years he put 31,000 miles on it sold it to his brother and bought an Electra Glide. All I can say is the bike never skipped a beat he never had a problem with it not once. My middle son bought it and he kept it up to I want to say 50,000 miles. Then he sold it and he bought an Electra Glide. I’ve always said sportsters with the Evo motors and the Evo motor themselves in the larger bikes best motors Harley ever built. But there’s a lot of good options out there now.

#16 ·
My oldest boy bought a new 93 sporty in 93. He was going from dirt to street. A 883 we made it a 1200 to save on insurance back then he was 20. He started touring with me the following summer. A bigger tank windshield and saddlebags he added to it. In two years he put 31,000 miles on it sold it to his brother and bought an Electra Glide. All I can say is the bike never skipped a beat he never had a problem with it not once. My middle son bought it and he kept it up to I want to say 50,000 miles. Then he sold it and he bought an Electra Glide. I've always said sportsters with the Evo motors and the Evo motor themselves in the larger bikes best motors Harley ever built. But there's a lot of good options out there now.
And that's the kind of stuff I've read over and over. If Harley brought back out a full size frame with the 1200 EVO, hard bags, and windshield, price it right, they'd probably sell a ton of them.

#20 ·
I like having a small bare naked blaster to buzz around town. No pussy protector, bunch of HP and 125 ft lbs of torque with fairly inexpensive mods. When I want comfort and power on longer rides I jump on the Vision. You can pick up a Vegas or any steel frame for a song these days. I also like the looks of some of the Harleys, but unless I found a Harley that had a allot more dough put into the engine than a good used Vic steel frame would cost; riding one seems like settling for that fat girl that is still available at last call............
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Attachments

#21 ·
A few months back I test rode some the HD 1200 Sportsters at Daytona Bike week and honestly they were horrible. Even the footpegs didn't line up with the foot controls. I spent a day riding the Indian Scouts....and really like the Scout Twenty with the higher bars and seat. I've thought about buying a used Scout Bobber and converting it to the Twenty configuration. Yeah...I think the Sportster is a love it or hate it thing. Glad I don't have one.

Here is a good review of the Twenty:

#22 ·
LOVE my Scout.
Almost bought a Gunner.

Came from big bikes.... Vision and still have a Chieftain.

The transmission is amazing and a 8300 rpm redline....wow. Hit 80 in second gear. Smooth --- I always knew Polaris could make a decent transmission....why the Vic's were so clunky, I never knew.

I ride everything available and right now cannot beat the Scout. Got a late winter/ early spring deal and actually bought 2 for $12,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.