VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of us have had our Victory motorcycle for awhile now. Most of us have googled eveything about the bike at wee hours of the morning. Wasting precious man hours, researching a topic 53 ways to sideways, especially on this site. We read it 62 times before IT SINKS IN... and when it does whew watchout. The faces we make.

Everyone has figured out the most of the bikes has an air shock, or air bag with the hose under the driver seat or out the left side in the left bag.

We all have read DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR.

YOU MUST ONLY use a HAND AIRPUMP to add air to the shock. It will bust easy.

I mean to the point were nervous with a hand air pump.

Back to the web, how much air do i put, GEEEEZUS i cant remember. Google mania again.

So here i am. 1.5 inch lowered not bad. Keep seeing those YOU MUST HAVE bag replacement inserts when you go lower sales. Cracking of the bag liner because its too low and bottoms out on bumps.

So I DID NOT bust the shock.

I did have some minor chips in the bottom of the bag from hitting the top of the swing arm. But I scrape the drive way, bumps like small railroad track and bridge edges were murdering me.
Pot holes omg.

I began searching to put the stock tall link back on. After the rear flat I just felt it might be too low.

Wasting hours searching. Then my buddy buys a new bike and asks. How much air do you putnin your shock to ride a passenger. Me with the look of we do have an air shock and no in 3 years i have not put air in it or checked it. I dont ride a blipin passenger so why should I worry.

LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY
2 LBS OF AIR VS 50 LBS OF AIR,

man does this bike ride even smoother than i could ever dream. Duh over bunps with actual suspension. Clear the drive way. Felt like a huge idiot. I mean like really duh.

So if you havnt please put some air with a hand pump in your shock. If your like me and loved this bike your going to be floating even more on cloud 9.

Lastly, you wasted more man hours reading this long @$$ post to learn my lessons too.

View attachment 500003 View attachment 500005

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I relocated mine so it's just below the seat on the left hand side, then I can adjust it without getting off the bike. I actually did use my air compressor a couple times a few years ago, but it had a regulator on it and I'd set it to 50psi, it hasn't popped yet, but now I have a hand-pump that I keep in the bag. I run it about 45 solo and if I load up or add a passenger I start at 72 then release a little bit at a time until I feel it move. Seems to be the best way for me and it's fairly smooth most of the time but the roads here where I live are far from decent.

It's funny this thread was in the first page, I was about to search "stupid things we do" and now I don't have to.

Yesterday I finally got the belt aligned. Today, I wanted to wash it, it's been awhile. So as I was at it with the soapy cloth, I realized my USB charger was still plugged in. I pulled it out and saw water pooled inside. Of course, I couldn't allow that so I stuck the rag in there... By the way, that cigarette lighter plug in the dash is ALWAYS HOT.

To add insult to injury, my neighbor decided it was time to wash the fence with the pressure washer, I had just dried the bike off so I decided to move it from the side of the house to the driveway, just 20' away. I didn't hear or feel the kickstand pop up... stopped in front of the garage and made to get off the bike and over she went hitting my car with the mirror, so little room to squat down and pick it up, but I managed after I stopped laughing at myself.

To add insult to insult to injury: Figured I'd led it air dry the rest of the way and was sitting on the porch having a smoke and playing Golf Clash on my phone when I hear the garage door open. I walk over and look and it would go up a couple feet then down then up. I'm thinking... what the hell? Then realize I forgot to remove the garage door opener from the handlebars. So a few minutes later with the battery removed, I finally got to take a break.

Then my neighbor, who I'd never actually met came over and started complaining about the electric meter on the side of my condo saying the RF waves from it were keeping her awake at night and giving her headaches, then launched into some conspiracy theories, which I had no intention of fueling. When she asked me what I do, I said I work on industrial lasers... bad idea, because apparently the military is using focused lasers to ignite random houses around the country.

All in all, was a nice day though, weather-wise.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
They don't seem to hold air all that well so check it often. I need to do it more often myself.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
That is interesting, I haven't noticed any loss of air in the past couple years. Right after relocating the fitting, I did notice that it would drop down but discovered I didn't have one of the connections tight enough so I had a bit of a slow leak.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I check it every now and then. I do use a compressor, but very quick small spurts and I haven’t had a problem. *knocks wood*

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
That is interesting, I haven't noticed any loss of air in the past couple years. Right after relocating the fitting, I did notice that it would drop down but discovered I didn't have one of the connections tight enough so I had a bit of a slow leak.
I should check mine. Maybe I have something similar going on. It just has not been a big enough issue to look into.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I check it every now and then. I do use a compressor, but very quick small spurts and I haven't had a problem. *knocks wood*
Where you live might not be a problem, but water in the compressed air isn't good for the shock. Guessing it's not real real humid in AZ.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I check mine every so often, maybe once in every six months or so or when I feel it is bottoming out on certain roads here..... I invariable find it has lost some air, the lowest I have noticed on my gauge is down to 7 lbs, I like it round 27 lbs, that feels comfortable for me.... I guess I am not as heavy as some of you fellahs at round 102 kilograms.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ever since the ride to Sturgis in ‘17 when I was loaded for camping, I check it a couple times a month. Does seem to gradually loose a little, I keep it between 30-40 psi. It’s fantastic the pillow like ride my Vision has, in fact I was on a ride with the group I normally ride with, mix of HD, Honda’s and my Vision and I was riding point as normal. We came to a stop at a country intersection and they all were complaining how bumpy and waved the road was.

Because of the Vision suspension, I hadn’t noticed. So I had to find smoother roads for the other guys.

When running 30-40 psi suspension I call it “couch mode” now...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I check mine every so often, maybe once in every six months or so or when I feel it is bottoming out on certain roads here..... I invariable find it has lost some air, the lowest I have noticed on my gauge is down to 7 lbs, I like it round 27 lbs, that feels comfortable for me.... I guess I am not as heavy as some of you fellahs at round 102 kilograms.....
I wonder how many pple think to factor in what's in the bags. I carry 20 lb or so in mine with tools, rags, gloves, cleaning product on a regular basis. Makes a fair difference to what I keep the air shock at

·
Registered
838 Posts
Where is the air shock valve on my Kingpin :D

• Haha
Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I go by the sticker inside showing pressure to weight ratings. Never lose air, within a lb. or 2 but that's probably temperature changes. We get 30-40 degree swings out here in southern NM. Use hand pump because the volume is so low its fast and easy. Bought the identical pump on Amazon for only $24.99 a while back vs the crazy Victory prices.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We rode 2 up for 2 weeks when I bought the bike. Even left the stealer riding 2 up. Didn't check shock for 2 weeks. No air in shock. I guess the stealer didn't realize that would be included in the DEALER PREP. Anyway, mine does not lose air. Very little during winter storage.
The only reason I checked it after 2 weeks, was because the wife said it was supposed to be smoother than the VTX. LOL!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Where you live might not be a problem, but water in the compressed air isn't good for the shock. Guessing it's not real real humid in AZ.
Correct. Very dry in AZ. And I also have a spit valve on the bottom of my compressor and regularly release any condensation it accumulates.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
on a pitstop one day a couple were on a bike identical to mine. we started chatting and they had just bought it used a couple weeks ago. they new nothing about the bike at all so i went over it a bit with them. they complained of a hard ride so i checked the air shock which they didn't know about , it was at 20 lbs. i showed them the chart and we adjusted it accordingly. their tire pressure was at 55lbs so i adjusted that as well. i mentioned to him that he had passenger peg risers on the bike and his wife was at least 5'7", i'll bet those came off when he got home. i also noticed he had a bungee cord holding one of his lowers on, i asked if he used his foot to adjust them and he just nodded,,,oops, live and learn ! he had no idea about the heated seat switches either, or his air filter, etc. i was just glad i could help and he couldn't thank me enough,,, oh and of course i told him about the VOG :ride: View attachment 500091

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
on a pitstop one day a couple were on a bike identical to mine. we started chatting and they had just bought it used a couple weeks ago. they new nothing about the bike at all so i went over it a bit with them. they complained of a hard ride so i checked the air shock which they didn't know about , it was at 20 lbs. i showed them the chart and we adjusted it accordingly. their tire pressure was at 55lbs so i adjusted that as well. i mentioned to him that he had passenger peg risers on the bike and his wife was at least 5'7", i'll bet those came off when he got home. i also noticed he had a bungee cord holding one of his lowers on, i asked if he used his foot to adjust them and he just nodded,,,oops, live and learn ! he had no idea about the heated seat switches either, or his air filter, etc. i was just glad i could help and he couldn't thank me enough,,, oh and of course i told him about the VOG :ride: View attachment 500091
I need one that color. That and the more recent bright blue. Oh, and a Anniversary model.

I WANT THEM ALL! :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Guys. Get rid of the stock shock and get the Penske unit from Conquest Customs.
No more fiddling around with hand pumps, and the bike rides better all the time.
good to know if i ever need a replacement but with over 50,000+ mi's riding on stock shocks, no complaints here. fiddling is fine tuning and when you figure it out its heaven on earth, nothing i've ridden since compares,,, lucky me i guess :pepper1:

Reactions: Dan050

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't even own a hand pump. Always used my compressor to adjust mine. I change pressure every time I take the trunk off or put it back on and especially when the little lady rides along. Ive ran air pressure everywhere between 12 PSI to 45 psi. Havent had any problem with the shock. Remember the first time I added air. I know I bumped 125 psi in the shock but let it back out when I gauged it. No problem that I saw.

Reactions: mister-g
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.