VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
To save myself some time and grief, I'm going to ask--The pins that hold the rear footpegs on a Vegas--How do I get the little circle clips off that hold the pins in? They are microscopic and look like they wrap around the pin. Is there an easy way? I'm trying to replace my pegs and could use some help!

·
Registered
834 Posts

Lock Ring "Horseshoe" Washer Pliers
But if they go for a fling it takes hours to find them on the shop floor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have some snapring pliers, but whatever kind ofretainers these are don't have any ears with holes in them for removing/replacing. They seem to be just tiny gauge wire that wraps around the pin about a time and a half and terminates. I think what I will do is try to use some needlenose pliers to remove them and then replace them with small snaprings.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

twillis said:
I do have some snapring pliers, but whatever kind ofretainers these are don't have any ears with holes in them for removing/replacing. They seem to be just tiny gauge wire that wraps around the pin about a time and a half and terminates. I think what I will do is try to use some needlenose pliers to remove them and then replace them with small snaprings.
True Value seles them with three heads, the smallest one will work. Had to buy them for my Vision this past weekend. Buy some extra C Clips while you are there, just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
bobbyg said:
Lock Ring "Horseshoe" Washer Pliers
But if they go for a fling it takes hours to find them on the shop floor.
I have a "trick" for that...

While I'm not a bike mechanic, I have published a few books. On of them was on Easy Home Repairs.

When working with small, easy to lose parts, use a Ziplock bag. Just place the tool in the opening and punch a hole in the other side. Place that new hole over the entire part you're working on and do the work inside the clear bag. If the part flies off, it should be contained in the bag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Andy,
By using your advice and Ziploc bag method, I was able to basically pry the small wire clips off with a small pocket screwdriver, didn't lose either one, and got my rear Kuryakyn passenger boards installed hitch-free. I think the clips on the '09 8-ball Accessory passenger pegs differ from other Victory bikesin that they just use a very small gauge wire clip that encircles the pivot pin about 1 3/4 times. It's a little tedious, but with a little patience, they'll come off and should be re-usable. Thanks to all that replied to help with what should have been a really easy task!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.