VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the frickin sticker off of my new XC w/shield that the dealer claims they can't remove for legal reasons. Of course it left behind the glue on my new $350 tall w/shield. So being in the body shop business I grab the 3M adhesive remover, knowing that even if it dulls the plastic I can buff it back up. Well don't you know there's a coating on these shields that the adhesive remover also removes!!! Now my new w/shield is screwed up. Can anyone tell me why they have to put a sticker on the w.shield of all places and secondly why they can't use a static sticker or atleast something that doesn't leave behind weapons grade adhesive!? How F'N dumb is this, is it just me!?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Did you read the sticker? Maybe like the ones on chair cushions it can not be removed by the dealer but can be removed by the owner? Can't guess if it had how to remove it on it like clothes with washing instructions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow. I'd be pissed too.

It's not the dealer's fault imo, they have rules to follow like everyone else... but in my opinion if the manufacturer is required to put something on their product that they know is ugly, they should make it easy to remove and not a guess-and-check process.

That is too bad man. I'd feel like going on a rampage if I were you.

I'm certainly not trying to point the finger your way, but just fyi for the future... I bang damn near everything I do into google before I do it, just to see how other people have solved the problem I'm facing. I don't know if google pops up results for the particular issue, but it's a valuable resource. My dad googled how to get a fugly sticker off of his bike's gas tank for instance, and it steered him the right way.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not blaming the dealer and I'll personally take the DUMBASS of the year award because I've even read on using the goof off, etc.. It still burns my tush though that Vic doesn't see the need to use an easily removable sticker that doesn't leave behind nuclear weapons grade adhesive! I polished it up and it's hard to see but I know it's there and it pisses me off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know the feeling...

Do you have a polish specifically for motorcycle windshields? My dad uses some product (I'll ask him if you're not using something you're happy with) that leaves his windshield crystal-clear.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VegasJM said:
I know the feeling...

Do you have a polish specifically for motorcycle windshields? My dad uses some product (I'll ask him if you're not using something you're happy with) that leaves his windshield crystal-clear.
We use 3M finesse in the body shop, works great on paint and plastic w/shields, headlamps, etc.. I brought the luster and shine right back, problem is I went thru a layer with the solvent that leaves a jagged edge. I may get brave and try to micro-fine sand the edge and re-buff? It almost looks like there's a bit of tint to the top layer so it still may show up a bit even if I get the edge to go away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got off the phone with my dad, he uses Novus polish. I guess they sell three different formulas... formula 1, formula 2, and formula 3. 3 is the most abrasive, 1 is the least.

Anyway he bought his bike used and the windshield was all messed up. His windshield has improved 100% since he used this product... he says it took him hours of work but having seen his bike before and after, I'd say it's worth it.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3M finesse comes in different levels of abrasiveness as well, depending on what you need to take out. You start with as fine as you can get away with and still take out the scratches and then work your way to the ultra fine and then polish.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

stickers drive me crazy...i always posted here first and always got quick answers. standard for stickers is hair dryer, peeland goo be gone. the toughest one i had to do was the one on the tank....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Anyway you can contact a manufacturer that makes something similar and see if they can recoat it for you. is it at the top, bottom or middle?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stilcrazee said:
Anyway you can contact a manufacturer that makes something similar and see if they can recoat it for you. is it at the top, bottom or middle?
It's at the lower left corner, just need a VOG.net sticker ;-). I took the stock w/shield out of the package the dealer put it in today and soaked the sticker with WD-40 and zip it came right off with no adhesive left behind :). Now my painter is going to paint the inside of it with black urethane, should look sweet when done.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Glad you're only pissed off, because being pissed on really sucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.