VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
That was excellent. Great video.
They may say that about a Victory some day.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sport Tourer/long distance bike? The seat looks like two pieces of black cardboard glued together. Still cool it’s around and still running though.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
The level of innovation was astounding for the day. If I had a serious collection, I would want one of these in it. Would I ride one today? No. But this shows what can be done when a company decides it is going to produce something special for the sake of the product, not profits. Something companies today have long forgotten about.

Reactions: Mikekoz13

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I remember reading a story, something Victory engineers picked up on from an older British bike, but I don’t recall if it was Vincent or Norton. Anyway they discovered that if the crank and wheel hubs all lined up it improved the handling. Lots of really cool innovation back then.

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember reading a story, something Victory engineers picked up on from an older British bike, but I don't recall if it was Vincent or Norton. Anyway they discovered that if the crank and wheel hubs all lined up it improved the handling. Lots of really cool innovation back then.
View attachment 500563

·
Registered
634 Posts
A great Bike. They were technological marvels for the time. It still looks great and sounds great.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I remember reading a story, something Victory engineers picked up on from an older British bike, but I don't recall if it was Vincent or Norton. Anyway they discovered that if the crank and wheel hubs all lined up it improved the handling. Lots of really cool innovation back then.
I believe it was using the engine as a stress member hanging it from the backbone frame. One reason the Cross bikes are superior to other baggers and tourers.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
1949 Guzzi Airone: USD front suspension, adjustable rear suspension:
19?? Guzzi Condor Tour: Check out the "Tank Bag" for touring & the flywheel hanging out there. We called these the "Meat Slicers".
The Racer had a guard over the flywheel. View attachment 500567 View attachment 500569

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I believe it was using the engine as a stress member hanging it from the backbone frame. One reason the Cross bikes are superior to other baggers and tourers.
Nah, it's like the photo edit HC posted. I can't find the story but I recall it discussed in early Victory engineering. It's easier to do using the engine as a stressed member because you can hang the engine where it needs to be so the crank is in alignment with the hubs. You end up with three gyroscopes in line with each other. When they're not the tip and lean input changes for the one that's higher or lower. Or something like that. I'll have to keep looking....

·
Registered
397 Posts
What I like most about that Vincent is that they did away with the continuous frame - using the engine as the central support point. Not only does it improve the look of the bike but I would imagine you could reduce weight with no sacrifices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.